* Bootstrapping a full pandoc markdown experience
@ 2020-11-22 22:58 Timothy Cairns
       [not found] ` <550ae500-7529-4783-abf7-eff6a0944767n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Timothy Cairns @ 2020-11-22 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

There's a couple of online services I've found which incorporate various
extensions to markdown - abc, mathjax/katex, mermaid, etc - to let you
produce your files in plain markdown and have it appear rendered on the
right-hand pane:

https://hackmd.io/MathJax-and-UML?both

https://stackedit.io/app#

That's all very well, but I would prefer to work on documents offline.

So I was wondering if there is a way to quickly get a version of pandoc
with all these abilities (entering different syntax for music, math,
diagrams  etc in the same document and allowing output html and pdfs).

I know I can install the dependencies for all the filters, and fiddle for
days to get everything working, but it would be nice to have a way to
install all of this (for macOS and Arch Linux for me) in one shot.

Tim

* Re: Bootstrapping a full pandoc markdown experience
       [not found] ` <550ae500-7529-4783-abf7-eff6a0944767n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-11-23  8:28   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <874klgiijk.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2020-11-23  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Tim,

maybe Docker would be an option here. You could create your own image
based on an official [pandoc image] and pre-install all the packages you
need. This is what we do to test our [Lua filters], see the links below.
You could then upload your custom image to Docker Hub, which would allow
you to share the image between computers, and with others who are
interested.

You may also try to search for existing images; e.g., "pandocker" is a
project that has similar goals.

A bit more ambitious, you could even try to bundle CodiMD (free version
of HackMD) in a container, so you'd have a writing environment in there.
Or you could use [Zettlr], which runs on all major platforms.

Cheers,
Albert

[Lua filters]: https://github.com/pandoc/lua-filters
[pandoc image]: https://hub.docker.com/u/pandoc
[CodiMD]: https://github.com/hackmdio/codimd
[Zettlr]: https://zettlr.com

See also
<https://github.com/pandoc/lua-filters/blob/master/.tools/Dockerfile>

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2020-12-09 11:39       ` tim cairns
       [not found]         ` <CAATEvWi5PKUQWdBXjBk47KoB_J_y9ufOcQdW36aE0aQmS=7Lhg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: tim cairns @ 2020-12-09 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks Albert,

I'll look into those solutions. A bit new to docker, but I managed to get
the pandoc/latex image working on Pop OS in VirtualBox. Next I'll try the
lua-filters and pandocker images.

I guess the dream is to be able to bootstrap a complete environment locally
and on a self-hosted web server, both pointing to the same cloud-based
files (icloud, nextcloud, google drive etc) or even github repos.

So I could do something like this on local machine:

docker pull blah/full-LOCAL-pandoc-latex-filters

And then on a server, installing a codimd / hedgedoc / stackedit style
system:

docker pull blah/full-WEBSERVER-pandoc-latex-filters

And then you could work efficiently locally, and work on the same files by
logging on to the self-hosted website when away from your computer (or on
mobile).

Tim

@ 2020-12-12  8:50           ` mb21
From: mb21 @ 2020-12-12  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)