* what is the scope for supported formats?
@ 2023-02-18 18:18 ` eldritch cookie
       [not found]   ` <23ad1f68-17f5-4176-9a7f-a43ea102e2fdn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: eldritch cookie @ 2023-02-18 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

basically can any markup format be added in the core repo?  i am planning
on adding support for the custom format used by
https://github.com/nvim-neorg/neorg if i implement my code in haskell can i
just make a pr to add norg support in the main repo? or would the norg
format be out of scope?

* AW: what is the scope for supported formats?
       [not found]   ` <23ad1f68-17f5-4176-9a7f-a43ea102e2fdn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-02-18 18:49     ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]       ` <02fe1fafa217459e8898672dfc23e47d-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2023-02-18 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

How is that format different from the regular org format? Could that treated like a variant of the standard org format?

basically can any markup format be added in the core repo?  i am planning on adding support for the custom format used by https://github.com/nvim-neorg/neorg if i implement my code in haskell can i just make a pr to add norg support in the main repo? or would the norg format be out of scope?

* Re: what is the scope for supported formats?
       [not found]       ` <02fe1fafa217459e8898672dfc23e47d-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-02-18 19:28         ` eldritch cookie
       [not found]           ` <a771c33b-8adc-4945-bc48-384fce6e88a5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: eldritch cookie @ 2023-02-18 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

i don't think it could, for context there was a person that wanted to
implement a norg pandoc module but it was changing too much so they gave
up, they have a frozen specification now, but even assuming that at the
start it was equal to org mode it certainly is really different now. like
looking at the https://orgmode.org/worg/org-syntax.html and at the
https://github.com/nvim-neorg/norg-specs/blob/main/1.0-specification.norg
they seem really different so i would say probably no it can't be done.

@ 2023-02-18 20:29             ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2023-02-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

eldritch cookie <henrique.hsa2002-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> basically can any markup format be added in the core repo? i am
> planning on adding support for the custom format used by https://
> github.com/nvim-neorg/neorg if i implement my code in haskell can
> i just make a pr to add norg support in the main repo? or would
> the norg format be out of scope?

The format should be reasonably popular, which I think is the case here
(3.4k stars on GitHub). Adding the code directly to pandoc is fine;
another method is to write a separate Haskell package for the neorg
format. The `commonmark` package is the best showcase for this approach,
with `jira-wiki-markup` being another example.

https://github.com/jgm/commonmark-hs
https://github.com/tarleb/jira-wiki-markup

>> On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 3:49:13 PM UTC-3 denis...-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org
>> wrote:
>>
>> How is that format different from the regular org format? Could
>> that treated like a variant of the standard org format?
>
> i don't think it could [...] it certainly is really
> different now.

I agree that they are completely different formats. Looks like the only
remaining similarity is the use of asterisks as markers for headings. It
looks a lot like textile and Markdown were major inspirations for the
new format.

--
Albert Krewinkel