* How to Use a LaTeX Document Class?
@ 2015-01-24 16:51 Dylan Kinnett
       [not found] ` <6a173c76-af1b-4e01-988d-bcb6372ea422-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dylan Kinnett @ 2015-01-24 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm hoping to be able to use Pandoc <http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/> to
convert my stories from Markdown to PDF files, formatted using sffms
<http://www.mcdemarco.net/sffms/>. I've tried a few things, but so far, I
haven't been able to get it to work. I'm fairly comfortable with the
command line, but LaTeX is new to me.

How do I tell Pandoc to use sffms when formatting the PDF?

* Re: How to Use a LaTeX Document Class?
       [not found] ` <6a173c76-af1b-4e01-988d-bcb6372ea422-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-01-24 17:48   ` Matthew Pickering
From: Matthew Pickering @ 2015-01-24 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

See here for more info:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28100927/convert-markdown-to-pdf-with-pandoc-using-sffms

@ 2015-01-25  4:09   ` lukshuntim-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
From: lukshuntim-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-01-25  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Sunday, January 25, 2015 12:51 AM, Dylan Kinnett wrote:
> I'm hoping to be able to use Pandoc
> <http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/> to convert my stories from Markdown
> to PDF files, formatted using sffms <http://www.mcdemarco.net/sffms/>.
> I've tried a few things, but so far, I haven't been able to get it to
> work. I'm fairly comfortable with the command line, but LaTeX is new to me.
>
> How do I tell Pandoc to use sffms when formatting the PDF?

Hi,

See if no. 14 in the [Examples](http://www.pandoc.org/demos.html) can be
a staring point.

Regards,
ST

@ 2015-01-26  1:06   ` Dylan Kinnett
       [not found]     ` <20c5629f-c551-41d4-859c-af7c5c58a346-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dylan Kinnett @ 2015-01-26  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That example was useful, thank you.

When I use the following, Pandoc is able to create a PDF using the default
document class:
pandoc --standalone --smart sample.md -o manuscript.pdf

Next, I attempted to add the variable to indicate the document class:
pandoc --standalone --smart --variable documentclass=sffms sample.md -o
manuscript.pdf

but that resulted in the following error:
! Paragraph ended before \UL@on was complete.
<to be read again>
                   \par
l.56

I saw some suggestions that this error can result from having improper line
endings in the original file, but I checked that and my file has the
correct line endings.

@ 2015-01-26 14:40       ` lukshuntim-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
From: lukshuntim-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-01-26 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Monday, January 26, 2015 09:06 AM, Dylan Kinnett wrote:
> That example was useful, thank you.
>
> When I use the following, Pandoc is able to create a PDF using the
> default document class:
> |
> pandoc --standalone --smart sample.md -o manuscript.pdf
> |

> Next, I attempted to add the variable to indicate the document class:
> |
> pandoc --standalone --smart --variable documentclass=sffms sample.md -o
> manuscript.pdf
> |

> but that resulted in the following error:
> |
> ! Paragraph ended before \UL@on was complete.
> <to be read again>
>                     \par
> l.56
> |

> I saw some suggestions that this error can result from having improper
> line endings in the original file, but I checked that and my file has
> the correct line endings.

This seems to be a latex error. Maybe it's easier to see what happens if
you take a 2-step approach - markdown to latex and then latex to pdf.
You then have the latex source to look at.

And maybe you need a custom template as well. It's mentioned in the README.

Regards,
ST

* Re: How to Use a LaTeX Document Class?
@ 2015-01-26 18:54         ` Dylan Kinnett
       [not found]           ` <CAByu3gFAqFSTL1dniZVPfxRTZGY43Dn6sNqsQsLzayvGMUGb2Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Dylan Kinnett @ 2015-01-26 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm having some luck with a custom template, although still some trouble
with the ATX style headers. I'll try the two-step process you suggested.
Does the --atx-headers option work for converting from markdown or is that
only for converting to markdown?

@ 2015-01-27 13:17             ` lukshuntim-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found]               ` <54C79004.6090108-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: lukshuntim-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2015-01-27 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 02:54 AM, Dylan Kinnett wrote:
> I'm having some luck with a custom template, although still some trouble
> with the ATX style headers. I'll try the two-step process you suggested.
> Does the --atx-headers option work for converting from markdown or is
> that only for converting to markdown?

I believe it's for the latter.

BTW, stx-style headers have been working well for me. I'm using the
standard template or slight variations of it. YMMV, of course. :-)

Regards,
ST

@ 2015-01-28  1:44                 ` Dylan Kinnett
       [not found]                   ` <d463db95-5f44-4417-835d-9dfd4c91e574-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Dylan Kinnett @ 2015-01-28  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am also using the default template.latex file
<https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-templates/blob/master/default.latex>.
My source file is a very generic example of a typical markdown file
<https://gist.githubusercontent.com/dylan-k/3d5225d175d53457917c/raw/3191a1f1e2854797d761482d0d34a476590987c6/sample.md>
.

But yes, my mileage does seem to vary, because I get an error whenever I
try to use the document class.

This is the command that gives me an error:

pandoc --standalone --smart --atx-headers --variable documentclass=sffms --
from=markdown+yaml_metadata_block sample.md -o manuscript.pdf

This is what the error says:

! File ended while scanning use of \UL@on.
<inserted text>
                \par
<*> ...r_6595rnn9lm0000gp/T/tex2pdf.1962/input.tex

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Is anyone else able to reproduce these results or point to a possible cause?

Meanwhile, I'm working toward a workable two-step approach as suggested
above.

@ 2015-01-28  7:36                     ` Jan Ulrich Hasecke
       [not found]                       ` <54C8916F.1020409-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jan Ulrich Hasecke @ 2015-01-28  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Am 28.01.2015 um 02:44 schrieb Dylan Kinnett:
> I am also using the default template.latex file

> This is what the error says:
>

> !Fileended whilescanning useof \UL@on.
> <inserted text>
>                 \par
> <*>...r_6595rnn9lm0000gp/T/tex2pdf.1962/input.tex
>
> ! ==>Fatalerror occurred,nooutput PDF file produced!
> |

> Is anyone else able to reproduce these results or point to a possible cause?

I get an error messages with sffms too. The macro seems to be broken. I
can only generate the sample from the sffms website.

\documentclass[submission]{sffms}
    \title{The Hobbit}
    \author{J. R. R. Tolkien}
    \begin{document}
    Your story goes here.
    \end{document}

I can insert a \chapter but when I insert a first \section I get this
error.

Runaway argument?
{{\@hangfrom {\hskip \z@ \relax \@svsec }\interlinepenalty \@M
Hallo\@@par \ETC
.
! File ended while scanning use of \UL@on.
<inserted text>
                \par
<*> manuscript.tex

You should contact the author of sffms.

For submissions you can try the package stdpage which creates a similar
submission style document.
http://www.ctan.org/pkg/stdpage

HTH
juh

--
Software-Dokumentation mit Sphinx
http://www.amazon.de/dp/1497448689/

@ 2015-01-28  8:05                         ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2015-01-28  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Wed, Jan 28 2015, Jan Ulrich Hasecke <juh+pandoc-cl+VPiYnx/1AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I get an error messages with sffms too. The macro seems to be broken. I
> can only generate the sample from the sffms website.
[...]
> I can insert a \chapter but when I insert a first \section I get this
> error.
>
> Runaway argument?
> {{\@hangfrom {\hskip \z@ \relax \@svsec }\interlinepenalty \@M
> Hallo\@@par \ETC
> .
> ! File ended while scanning use of \UL@on.
> <inserted text>
>                 \par
> <*> manuscript.tex

Judging from the sffms doc, the sffms document class doesn't define a
\section command. The standard LaTeX \section command is apparently not
compatible.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: How to Use a LaTeX Document Class?
@ 2015-02-11  1:20                           ` Dylan Kinnett
From: Dylan Kinnett @ 2015-02-11  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw