From: "jmuc...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <jmuccigr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: how to generate the bibliography for a document?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 07:38:53 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

On Saturday, 21 November 2020 at 09:23:45 UTC-5 the.so...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org wrote:

> When using CSL-JSON, the input format needs to be specified explicitly:
> ```
> $ pandoc -f csljson mybib.json -s -o formatted-bibliography.html
> ```
>
> It won't work without the `-f csljson`.  It will still work without that
> flag when the bibliography input format is CSL-YAML or BibLaTeX though,
> since the former is read as Markdown and the latter's format is guessed
> using its extension (.bib).
>
> I hope that helps.

It does! That's the issue.

@jgm, I would suggest this "just working" rather than having to include the
flag. Are there issues with just guessing from the extension as with .bib?

Regarding the span additions I noted, these are gone now, though there are
now some differences in the treatment of spaces and double hyphens,
straight quotation marks, etc. that weren't there before. The spaces aren't
a big deal for me  (and are mostly in places where a space has crept in
before punctuation - usually an issue with Italian titles in JSTOR in my
case), though I have to admit I don't quite understand all the choices that
are being made. The changes to punctuation marks are less desirable. For
example, I'd like curly quotes, not straight ones, and no double hyphens.
(Happy to make this a separate thread.)