* Xelatex report missing libraries, or fails at using fonts
@ 2022-01-13 22:32 Eugenio López Cortegano
       [not found] ` <253c9e22-d112-46d7-94cf-dee1dc7e697fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Eugenio López Cortegano @ 2022-01-13 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi all,

I am having a lot of problems trying to create a pdf from awesome-cv
(https://www.latextemplates.com/template/awesome-resume-cv) using the
pandoc/latex docker image.

For instance, xelatex (what I use locally) will fail due to missing files:

docker run --rm --volume $PWD:/data --entrypoint xelatex
pandoc/latex:latest-ubuntu resume_cv.tex

! LaTeX Error: File `enumitem.sty' not found.

I guess these should be a better way to solve this. But if I move on and
sudo cp all the required files to the relevant folder where the main tex
file is, the pdf is generated, but it will miss bolds, italics, and fonts
from this template, which puzzles me. Why this happen? how can this problem
be solved? thank you

* Re: Xelatex report missing libraries, or fails at using fonts
       [not found] ` <253c9e22-d112-46d7-94cf-dee1dc7e697fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-01-14  8:03   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87y23ivj4i.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-01-14  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Eugenio López Cortegano

Hi Eugenio,

If it worked before but stopped working, then that's probably due to the
changes mentioned here:
https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/aj4mrQc5nuQ/m/bh_ALPp8AgAJ
We reduced the number of packages that ship with that image.

The recommended solution is to build your own Docker image locally.  For
that you'll need a file `Dockerfile` with the following content:

``` dockerfile
FROM pandoc/latex:2.17-alpine

# Install fonts via the Alpine package manager.
# Here we install 'Hack', a monotype font with support for many
# unicode chars.
RUN apk add --no-cache ttf-hack

# Install additional LaTeX packages. List all the one you need.
RUN tlmgr update --self && tlmgr install \
  enumitem \
  tcolorbox
```

Then run something like `docker build --tag myimage .` to build the
image and use it instead of pandoc/latex.

Let us know if the other issues persist when using the above method.

Cheers,
Albert

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-01-14 11:52       ` BPJ
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhAsgjcLopjrdx0Zx2K4snc1dRLNorVAkAUJLzTWm4Jhfw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-01-14 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss; +Cc: Eugenio López Cortegano

Den fre 14 jan. 2022 09:04Albert Krewinkel <albert+pandoc-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
skrev:

> Hi Eugenio,
>
> If it worked before but stopped working, then that's probably due to the
> changes mentioned here:
> https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/aj4mrQc5nuQ/m/bh_ALPp8AgAJ
> We reduced the number of packages that ship with that image.
>
> The recommended solution is to build your own Docker image locally.  For
> that you'll need a file `Dockerfile` with the following content:
>
> ``` dockerfile
> FROM pandoc/latex:2.17-alpine
>
> # Install fonts via the Alpine package manager.
> # Here we install 'Hack', a monotype font with support for many
> # unicode chars.
> RUN apk add --no-cache ttf-hack
>
> # Install additional LaTeX packages. List all the one you need.
> RUN tlmgr update --self && tlmgr install \
>   enumitem \
>   tcolorbox
> ```

That's a nice font. Noto Sans Mono (which is different from and has more
glyphs than Noto Mono also has extensive LGC coverage.

@ 2022-01-14 13:27           ` Eugenio López Cortegano
       [not found]             ` <CAGjgynYsn=NVM_1kvxTVSp0T5KJxQiTW94y6Z9aTYUPXppy4Xg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Eugenio López Cortegano @ 2022-01-14 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BPJ; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just tried a "brute force" approach using the ubuntu:20.04 docker image (as
in my own system), and installing texlive-full. It works without a problem
(although the image is >4 GB in size).

Will try to get a lighter version with alpine and post it.

Eugenio

@ 2022-01-14 19:38               ` Eugenio López Cortegano
       [not found]                 ` <CAGjgynaW43_MqU4Dna7=0krg8a=zBPDHT-eBNZdo6FZGt=Mr_A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Eugenio López Cortegano @ 2022-01-14 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BPJ; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

Following the previous mail, it was indeed a problem of a lack of missing
packages. The final docker image using alpine just works perfectly
following Albert's advice:

FROM pandoc/latex

RUN apk add --no-cache ttf-hack

RUN tlmgr update --self && tlmgr install \
  enumitem \
  tcolorbox \
  ragged2e \
  xifthen \
  sourcesanspro \
  environ \
  fontawesome \
  everysel \
  geometry \
  trimspaces

And it's only a ~200 MB image :D

Thanks for your help,

Eugenio

@ 2022-01-15 13:40                   ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-01-15 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Eugenio López Cortegano <elcortegano-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Following the previous mail, it was indeed a problem of a lack of
> missing packages. The final docker image using alpine just works
> perfectly following Albert's advice:

Thanks for the feedback, glad it worked!