* Inline HTML in markdwon to PDF
@ 2021-09-12 18:39 Josh Schweigert
       [not found] ` <e3236b2a-bb0a-47b5-a41f-68f8cf5db7ean-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Josh Schweigert @ 2021-09-12 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello, I tried searching the archives, however, was not able to find any
questions on this. If you know of a post where this question was asked
before I would appreciate if you could share the link so I can review it.

Basically my issue is this, I have some inline HTML in my markdown file
that creates a line, however, when doing a standard conversion with pandoc
from md to pdf these lines are not generated.

I also tried to convert the md file to an intermediary HTML file then to
PDF, however, this messed up some formatting.

Example MD file:

### Contents

<hr style="border-bottom: 1px dashed #686868; width: 50%; margin-left: 0;
margin-bottom: 15px" />

### What Is Impacted

<hr style="border-bottom: 1px dashed #686868; width: 50%; margin-left: 0;
margin-top: 15px" />

Expected output:

 [image: 1.png]

Current output:

 [image: 2.png]

When the PDF file is generated the lines are not present as expected. Do
you have any recommendations on this or if this is even possible?

Thank you!

[-- Attachment #2: 2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 3152 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: 1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 2357 bytes --]

* Re: Inline HTML in markdwon to PDF
       [not found] ` <e3236b2a-bb0a-47b5-a41f-68f8cf5db7ean-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-09-13 18:20   ` gnpan
From: gnpan @ 2021-09-13 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Since you are converting to pdf, you could use some inline LaTeX.
Try the simple \rule command as shown here <https://texfaq.org/FAQ-rule> or
load a package for more fancy lines, such as xhfill
<https://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/xhfill/xhfill-doc.pdf>
 or TikZ <https://ctan.org/pkg/pgf>- I am sure there are several others.

@ 2021-09-13 20:14   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-09-13 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Josh Schweigert

On Sun, Sep 12 2021, Josh Schweigert wrote:
> Basically my issue is this, I have some inline HTML in my markdown file
> that creates a line, however, when doing a standard conversion with pandoc
> from md to pdf these lines are not generated.

There is a native Markdown way to generate a horizontal rule, which also works
with other output formats:

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#horizontal-rules

In HTML, you should be able to use some CSS to style it the way you want.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments