* Filtering entire files based on markdown list item
@ 2020-09-09 11:33 Henrik Klang
       [not found] ` <2dcd5988-9b74-47a9-80bd-ce4a64fee169n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Henrik Klang @ 2020-09-09 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have a number of markdown files that I concatenate with Pandoc. Each
markdown file has a second level top header (##). The markdown files are
specified in the variable $document_list.

  pandoc --from=markdown --wrap=auto --to=markdown $documents_list >
output.md

In the next step I create a PDF:

  pandoc -f markdown+table_captions --pdf-engine=xelatex --listings -o
output.pdf output.md

What I want to do is to filter out certain markdown files in the first
step. The filter shall be based on a list under a specific category in the
markdown file:

### Group(s)
Category1, Category3

E.g. if *Category1* exists in the markdown file I want to filter the entire
markdown file out.

Do you think I could achieve this with Lua filters?

Thank you.

/ Henrik

* Re: Filtering entire files based on markdown list item
       [not found] ` <2dcd5988-9b74-47a9-80bd-ce4a64fee169n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-09-11 16:19   ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2020-09-11 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I believe that this would be possible, but not straight-forward.
Pandoc doesn't preserve information about which file an element
originated in, so one would have to iterate over all files
manually.

E.g., maybe pass the files via a metadata value as a comma-
separated list. Then step through all file names, read their
contents, and decide whether to keep or discard the result.
Non-functioning pseudo code:

    function Pandoc (doc)
      local categories = find_categories(doc.blocks)
      local files = doc.meta.input_files
        for _, f in files:gmatch '[^,]+' do
          local contents = io.open(f, 'r'):read '*a'
          local file_doc = pandoc.read(contents)
          if not contains_category(file_doc, categories) then
            doc = append_doc(doc, file_doc)
          end
        end
      return doc
    end

The functions `append_doc` and `find_categories` would have to be
written.

Cheers,
Albert

--