* How to use BibLaTeX's shortauthor field in pandoc-citeproc?
@ 2019-01-08 20:36 Christoph Friedrich
       [not found] ` <490d6f71-d238-451f-b751-d22feb3c85ba-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Christoph Friedrich @ 2019-01-08 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In BibLaTeX it is possible to specify an abbreviation for an author, so
that the short term is used in citations and the long term in the
bibliography:

@misc{nasa,
    author = {{National Aeronautics and Space Administration}},
    shortauthor = {{NASA}},
    title = {Rocket Science},
    year = 2019
}

Then the text becomes:

> Rocket science is difficult (NASA 2019).

And the bibliography:

> National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), 2019, "Rocket
> Science".

Is this behaviour possible using pandoc-citeproc?

In case this is relevant, my Pandoc command is pandoc chapters/*.md
--standalone --filter pandoc-fignos --filter pandoc-citeproc --template
template.tex --top-level-division=part --listings --output out.pdf and the
References section looks like this:

---
bibliography: references.bib
link-citations: true
nocite: '@*'
---
## References {.unnumbered}

In the Pandoc manual, I came across
<https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#citation-rendering> a
--citation-abbreviations option which initially sounded like it could be
what I'm after, but I couldn't find much further useful documentation for
it. The little bit I did find after working around a 404 error
<https://web.archive.org/web/20160731173816/http://citationstylist.org:80/2011/10/19/abbreviations-for-zotero-test-release/>
didn't give me much hope that it does what I'm after.

Can someone help me?

* Re: How to use BibLaTeX's shortauthor field in pandoc-citeproc?
       [not found] ` <490d6f71-d238-451f-b751-d22feb3c85ba-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-01-08 21:52   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-01-08 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Friedrich, pandoc-discuss

I don't think there's anything in CSL corresponding to
"short author."

@ 2019-01-08 22:41   ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2019-01-08 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Christoph Friedrich writes:

> In BibLaTeX it is possible to specify an abbreviation for an author, so
> that the short term is used in citations and the long term in the
> bibliography:
>
> @misc{nasa,
>     author = {{National Aeronautics and Space Administration}},
>     shortauthor = {{NASA}},
>     title = {Rocket Science},
>     year = 2019
> }
>
> Then the text becomes:
>
>> Rocket science is difficult (NASA 2019).
>>

> And the bibliography:
>
>> National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), 2019, "Rocket
>> Science".
>>

> Is this behaviour possible using pandoc-citeproc?

It would probably be possible to hack something together using pandoc
filters:

- Create an alternative bibliography which uses the short version;
- run pandoc-citeproc with the original bibliography;
- save the generated "References" section
- run pandoc-citeproc with the short-author bibliography;
- restore the original References section.

The multiple-bibliographies filter in the [lua-filters repol should be a
good starting point for this.

HTH.

[lua-filters repo]: https://github.com/pandoc/lua-filters

--