* LaTeX to Markodown: nested lists converted to code blocks
@ 2022-10-25  7:15 Denis Bitouzé
       [not found] ` <87zgdk5q6q.fsf-hcDgGtZH8xNBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2022-10-25  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

consider the following `test.tex` `LaTeX` file, involving a nested list:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\begin{itemize}
\item Foo
  \begin{itemize}
  \item Bar
  \end{itemize}
\end{itemize}
\end{document}

When it is converted (with `pandoc` 2.19.2) to `Markdown`:

  ┌────
  │ pandoc test.tex -o test.md
  └────

the resulting `test.md` file is:

-   Foo

    -   Bar

From the `Markdown` point of view, the nested list is a code block, not
a nested list. Would it not be separated from its parent with a blank
line, the problem wouldn't arise.

Is it a bug? Is there a way to prevent these blank lines?

Thanks.
--
Denis

* Re: LaTeX to Markodown: nested lists converted to code blocks
       [not found] ` <87zgdk5q6q.fsf-hcDgGtZH8xNBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-10-25  7:31   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-10-25  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don't know how other markdown processors would handle it, but if you parse the resulting output with pandoc, "Bar" will be recognized as the first item of a sublist. For it to be parsed as a code block, it should be indented eight spaces.

Le Tuesday 25 October 2022 à 09:15:57AM, Denis Bitouzé a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> consider the following `test.tex` `LaTeX` file, involving a nested list:

> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{itemize}
> \item Foo
>   \begin{itemize}
>   \item Bar
>   \end{itemize}
> \end{itemize}
> \end{document}
>
> When it is converted (with `pandoc` 2.19.2) to `Markdown`:
>
>   ┌────
>   │ pandoc test.tex -o test.md
>   └────
>
> the resulting `test.md` file is:

> -   Foo
>
>     -   Bar
>
> >From the `Markdown` point of view, the nested list is a code block, not
> a nested list. Would it not be separated from its parent with a blank
> line, the problem wouldn't arise.
>
> Is it a bug? Is there a way to prevent these blank lines?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Denis
>
> --

* Re: [SOCIAL]Re: LaTeX to Markodown: nested lists converted to code blocks
@ 2022-10-25  7:39     ` Denis Bitouzé
       [not found]       ` <87sfjc5p48.fsf-hcDgGtZH8xNBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2022-10-25  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Le 25/10/22 à 07h31, Bastien DUMONT a écrit :

> I don't know how other markdown processors would handle it, but if you
> parse the resulting output with pandoc, "Bar" will be recognized as
> the first item of a sublist. For it to be parsed as a code block, it
> should be indented eight spaces.

Indeed. I tested on the “Markdown Test Bed”:

  ┌────
  │ https://www.ctan.org/markdown
  └────

which is wrong from this point of view.

Sorry for the noise.
--

@ 2022-10-25  8:05         ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]           ` <87ilk8l3v6.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-10-25  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You might like Babelmark, which is a great tool to compare the behavior
of different Markdown implementations.

https://babelmark.github.io

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: [SOCIAL]Re: [SOCIAL]Re: LaTeX to Markodown: nested lists converted to code blocks
       [not found]           ` <87ilk8l3v6.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-10-25  8:31             ` Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2022-10-25  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert Krewinkel; +Cc: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Le 25/10/22 à 10h05, Albert Krewinkel a écrit :

> You might like Babelmark, which is a great tool to compare the behavior
> of different Markdown implementations.
>
> https://babelmark.github.io

Very helpful, thanks!
--