* Converting a bibliography in a pandoc-generated docx file back into a yaml block
@ 2019-07-04 12:32 Maaike Visser
       [not found] ` <2b9b0064-a8fa-4a99-b383-20dc31950852-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Maaike Visser @ 2019-07-04 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

As the title says. My question is: is this possible? I have a .docx file
which was generated from a .md file using the following pandoc command:

> pandoc --reference-doc ref.docx --filter=pandoc-citeproc -o file.docx file.md

and then converted back using

> pandoc -s --to markdown-grid_tables-simple_tables+pipe_tables --atx-headers -o file.md file.docx

On the way to .docx, pandoc neatly creates a bibliography at the end of the
docx file. However, on the way back, the bibliography is not converted back
into a yaml block. Is it possible to do so?
Thanks!

(Relevant files are attached)

[-- Attachment #2: a10_stripped_cleaned.docx --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document, Size: 13546 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: a10_stripped_cleaned.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 5482 bytes --]

---
title: Andron of Halikarnassos
author:
- Toye, David L. (Northeast State, TN)
date: 1 October 2012
---

This entry was prepared by David L\. Toye and published on **1 October 2012**.

--- | ---
Name | Andron of Halikarnassos
Jacoby number | 10
Edition | bnj2
Historian's date | 5th century BC; 4th century BC
Historical focus | I.   Mythological History ( Genealogy and Mythography); A.   Old Genealogy (5th-4th c. BC)
Place of origin | unknown

## Fragment

--- | ---
ID | 10 F 1
Source | Harpokration ap Suda s.v. Φορβαντεῖον(T. Gaisford, *Etymologicum Magnum* 798.26, s.v. Φορβαντεῖον)
Work mentioned |
Source date | 10th century BC
Source language | Greek
Source genre | genealogy; mythology, Greek
Fragment subject | genealogy; mythology, Greek
Textual base | [Jacoby](#bnj_10_F_1)

### Text

· … ὅτι τὸ ᾽Αθήνησι Φορβαντεῖον ὠνομάσθη ἀπὸ Φόρβαντος βασιλεύσαντος Κουρήτων καὶ ὑπ᾽ ᾽Ερεχθέως ἀναιρεθέντος δεδήλωκεν ῎Ανδρων ἐν ῆ τῶν Συγγενειῶν. ἦν δὲ Ποσειδῶνος υἱὸς ὁ Φόρβας, καθά φησιν ῾Ελλάνικος ἐν ᾱ ᾽Ατθίδος.

### Translation

Andron in the eighth book of his Kinsmen has shown that the shrine of Phorbas in Athens was named from Phorbas, the king of the Kouretes, who was killed by Erechtheus. Phorbas was the son of Poseidon, as Hellanikos says in the first book of his Atthis (*FGrH* 4 F 40). (s. [F 13](#F_13))

### Critical Apparatus

### Commentary on the text

### Commentary

Other fragments ([F 6-7](#F_6)) identify this author of a work concerning heroic myths as a native of Halikarnassos in southwestern Asia Minor. The citation of an eighth book indicates that *Sungeneiai* (*Kinsmen*) was a voluminous work, which was epitomized later in antiquity (see [F 5](#F_5)), presumably to facilitate the task of consulting its contents.

Andron’s Phorbas, king of the Kouretes, resembled heroes with the same name mentioned by other ancient writers.

## Fragment

--- | ---
ID | 10 F 2
Source | Philodemos, On Piety (περὶ εὐσεβείας) 34a.1 (p. 6 T. Gomperz)
Work mentioned |
Source date | 1st century BC
Source language | Greek
Source genre | mythology, Greek
Fragment subject | mythology, Greek
Textual base | [Jacoby](#bnj_10_F_2)

### Text

\[ἄκων δ᾽ ἀπέκτεινεν ῾Υά//κινθον ᾽Από\]λλων \[δίσκωι· κ\]αί φησιν \[τὸν τάφον\] καὶ περι\[ανθί\]σαι ῎Ανδρω̣\[ν ἐν τοῖς Σ\]υνγενικο̣ῖ̣ς.

### Translation

Apollo unwillingly killed Hyakinthos with a discus. Andron in his Families says that his grave blossomed with flowers all around.

### Critical Apparatus

### Commentary on the text

### Commentary

Concerning the accidental death of the youth Hyakinthos at Sparta at the hands of his lover, the god Apollo, see Pseudo-Apollodoros, Library 1.3.3; 3.10.3; Pausanias 3.19.4-5; Ovid, Metamorphoses 10.162. However, this reconstruction of the text of Philodemos’s On Piety is questionable. A more recent reconstruction of the papyrus on which this work is preserved reads as follows (see R.L. Fowler, *Early Greek Mythography* (Oxford 2000), 12-13, 46):

[+]{.underline} 8       \]λο τασ

[+]{.underline} 5    Ἀπό\]λλων\[α

[+]{.underline} 6      \]καί φησιν

[+]{.underline} 6     \]καὶ περι

[+]{.underline} 6     \]σαι ἄνδρα

[+]{.underline} 5      συνγενικῶσ

This section of the papyrus is followed immediately by Philodemos’s discussion of the myth of Zeus’s slaying of Asklepios with a thunderbolt, in which he cited Andron (see [F 17](#F_17)). The mention of Apollo in this reconstruction of the text could refer to Apollo’s murder of the Kyklopes, who manufactured Zeus’s thunderbolts, whom Apollo killed to avenge the death of his son Asklepios (Apollodoros, *Library* 3.10.4; see the Commentary to [F 3](#F_3)). Considering the uncertainty regarding the reconstruction of this section of *On Piety*, this fragment of Andron is not certain.

## Biographical Essay

The historian Polybios (second century BC) would have classified Andron of Halikarnassos among those writers whose audience liked to hear a good story touching on genealogies and the foundation of colonies and cities (Polybios 9.1.4).

Andron enjoyed a fine reputation in the centuries that followed his demise.

## Bibliography

---
link-citations: true
nocite: |
  @*
references:
- type: book
  id: Clinton1992
  author:
  - family: Clinton
    given: K.
  title: Myth and Cult. The Iconography of the Eleusinian Mysteries
  issued:
  - year: 1992
  publisher-place: Stockholm
- type: book
  id: Dieterle2007
  author:
  - family: Dieterle
    given: M.
  title: Dodona. Religionsgeschichtliche und historische Untersuchungen zur Enstehung und Entwicklung des Zeus-Heiligtums
  issued:
  - year: 2007
  publisher-place: Hildesheim
- type: article-journal
  id: Fowler1996
  author:
  - family: Fowler
    given: R.L.
  title: Herodotos and his Contemporaries
  container-title-short: JHS
  container-title: Journal of Hellenic Studies
  issue: 116
  issued:
  - year: 1996
  page: 62-87
---

[-- Attachment #4: a10_stripped_cleaned_roundtrip.md --]
[-- Type: text/markdown, Size: 7143 bytes --]

---
author: 'Toye, David L. (Northeast State, TN)'
date: 1 October 2012
title: Andron of Halikarnassos
---

This entry was prepared by David L. Toye and published on **1 October
2012**.

|                  |                                                                                        |
|------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Name             | Andron of Halikarnassos                                                                |
| Jacoby number    | 10                                                                                     |
| Edition          | bnj2                                                                                   |
| Historian's date | 5th century BC; 4th century BC                                                         |
| Historical focus | I. Mythological History ( Genealogy and Mythography); A. Old Genealogy (5th-4th c. BC) |
| Place of origin  | unknown                                                                                |

## Fragment

|                  |                                                                                                    |
|------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
[...]

|                  |                                                               |
|------------------|---------------------------------------------------------------|
[...]

Clinton, K. 1992. *Myth and Cult. The Iconography of the Eleusinian
Mysteries*. Stockholm.

Dieterle, M. 2007. *Dodona. Religionsgeschichtliche Und Historische
Untersuchungen Zur Enstehung Und Entwicklung Des Zeus-Heiligtums*.
Hildesheim.

Fowler, R. L. 1996. "Herodotos and His Contemporaries." *Journal of
Hellenic Studies*, no. 116: 62--87.

* Re: Converting a bibliography in a pandoc-generated docx file back into a yaml block
       [not found] ` <2b9b0064-a8fa-4a99-b383-20dc31950852-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-07-04 20:36   ` BP Jonsson
From: BP Jonsson @ 2019-07-04 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I thought that there might be tools out there which can convert it to
bibtex which then can be converted to YAML with pandoc-citeproc and sure
enough my top Google hit for "docx to bibtex" contains both an explanaiton
why it isn't trivial and some suggested tools. (The tools seem to have been
downvoted but the OP was apparently satisfied.)

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/334934/how-do-i-convert-a-word-files-references-to-bib-format

@ 2019-07-05 10:52   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-07-05 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maaike Visser, pandoc-discuss

See https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/4140

@ 2019-07-05 10:54   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-07-05 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maaike Visser, pandoc-discuss

Also see https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-citeproc/issues/323

In short -- currently you can't do this; it would
require some changes to the code, already requested
in this issue.