* finicky pandoc tables
@ 2022-06-19 20:51 ivo....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <940779e4-0ae1-46fc-9270-af8b73f1131en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2022-06-19 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

pandoc 2.18, macOS.  I find the tables to be very finicky, rather than very
intuitive.  for example,

```

---

title: "Test Pandoc Tables"

output:

  tex_document:

      md_extensions: +grid_tables

---

compile with `pandoc -s finicky.md -o finicky.tex`.

+--------------+---------+

| Opinion      | Percent |

+==============+=========+

| Undervalued  | 84%     |

| Correctly    | 13%     |

| Overvalued   |  3%     |

+--------------+---------+

+--------------+---------+

| Opinion      | Percent |

+==============+=========+

| Undervalued  |   84%   |

| Correctly    |   13%   |

| Overvalued   |    3%   |

+--------------+---------+

| Opinion      | Percent |

+==============+========:+

| Undervalued  |   84%   |

| Correctly    |   13%   |

| Overvalued   |    3%   |

```

places the 84 and 13 on the same line and the 3 at the middle line.  is my
error terribly obvious?  there is probably a perfectly natural explanations
for my error, but it would seem to me that pandoc is perhaps a bit too
finicky in its interpretations here.

pointers appreciated...

* Re: finicky pandoc tables
       [not found] ` <940779e4-0ae1-46fc-9270-af8b73f1131en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-20  6:28   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87ilovon8a.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-20  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

"ivo....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <ivo.welch-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> pandoc 2.18, macOS.  I find the tables to be very finicky, rather than
> very intuitive.  for example,
>
> [...]

The issue, as far as I can see, is that the tables are a mix of grid
tables and pipe tables. Try to either

- Remove all horizontal lines except for the one separating table head
  and body. Use `-` (not `=`) for that line.

- Alternatively, add `+--+` lines between all rows.

Currently you have a table with a single body row, so all text in a
column is in a single cell. That's why some text is moved around if the
cell width permits to do so.

HTH

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: finicky pandoc tables
       [not found]     ` <87ilovon8a.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-20 18:35       ` ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org
       [not found]         ` <fa76e518-7408-4fe6-8de6-0150af1177f1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org @ 2022-06-20 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

would it be possible to allow for a generic syntax that encompasses
(allows) both types of tables --- or does one fundamentally violate the
other?

/iaw

On Sunday, June 19, 2022 at 11:36:31 PM UTC-7 Albert Krewinkel wrote:

> "ivo....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org" <ivo....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > pandoc 2.18, macOS. I find the tables to be very finicky, rather than
> > very intuitive. for example,
> >
> > [...]
>
> The issue, as far as I can see, is that the tables are a mix of grid
> tables and pipe tables. Try to either
>
> - Remove all horizontal lines except for the one separating table head
> and body. Use `-` (not `=`) for that line.
>
> - Alternatively, add `+--+` lines between all rows.
>
> Currently you have a table with a single body row, so all text in a
> column is in a single cell. That's why some text is moved around if the
> cell width permits to do so.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Albert Krewinkel
> GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124

* Re: finicky pandoc tables
       [not found]         ` <fa76e518-7408-4fe6-8de6-0150af1177f1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-23 19:32           ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-23 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

"ivo....-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org" <ivo.welch-xwz7R8GQi1g@public.gmane.org> writes:

> would it be possible to allow for a generic syntax that encompasses
> (allows) both types of tables --- or does one fundamentally violate the
> other?

Do you mean a combined syntax? I don't know, but I'd be surprised if
it was.

If you're interested in this topic, and want to witness how difficult it
can be to choose a good table syntax, please check this discussion:
https://talk.commonmark.org/t/tables-in-pure-markdown/81

--
Albert Krewinkel