* HTML attributes not being stripped off
@ 2012-11-11 11:19 Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found] ` <509F89B3.4070403-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-11 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi John,

I'm using pandoc mainly to generate ePub files.

I used textile first as source language, but it isn't fully implemented
by pandoc and textile itself has issues with multiparagraph elements.

It seems HTML is probably a much better option for pandoc as source
language, although I have to forget footnotes. There is no way to have
it all.

But pandoc strips almost all attributes from HTML elements.

A minimal sample:

<ol start="2" style="list-style-type:lower-latin;">
latina</em>.</p>
</ol>

Would it be possible that there is an option that doesn't strip off
attributes from HTML code?

BTW, when converting from HTML to another HTML code, at least id, class
and lang attributes shouldn't be stripped off by default.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: HTML attributes not being stripped off
       [not found] ` <509F89B3.4070403-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-11-11 22:36   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20121111223615.GE4399-9Rnp8PDaXcZ2EAH53EmH34tHsfhOvSUSZkel5v8DVj8@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2012-11-11 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You've got to remember that pandoc converts the input format to an
internal representation of the document (the 'Pandoc' structure), and
then converts that to the output format.

This internal representation (see
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pandoc-types/1.9.1/doc/html/Text-Pandoc-Definition.html)
is much less expressive than HTML, and doesn't have a place for the
attributes you want.  That's why they are lost on HTML -> HTML
translation.

+++ Pablo Rodríguez [Nov 11 12 12:19 ]:

@ 2012-11-12 19:14       ` Pablo Rodríguez
       [not found]         ` <50A14A92.9060301-S0/GAf8tV78@public.gmane.org>
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2012-11-12 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for your explanation, John.

I'm afraid I cannot code and pandoc's internal representation of the
document (sorry if the naming isn't accurate, but this is really Greek
to me [χαλεπὰ τὰ καλά, I agree :-)]) is beyond my extremely limited
understanding on these matters.

I can understand (and I hope I'm not wrong) that pandoc cannot be as
flexible as HTML and this is on purpose. (This might be problematic for
some uses, as the Spanish law gazette uses no headings, but it
distinguishes the different <p> with different classes.)

Not focusing specifically on HTML, I think that pandoc should allow to
uniquely identify, add to a class and set the language to any element,
desired text span or division.

I know that this is related to a couple of messages I sent yesterday.
Sorry for repeating myself, but these are basic features to write documents.

From the documentation perspective, it would be to apply the type Attr
to any constructor from data Block and Inline. And to data TableCell.

Although language could be defined as a key-value pair in type Attr, I
think is clearer to define a new specific language attribute.

Is there anything wrong with this approach?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

@ 2022-06-27  9:42           ` 'guenael Muller' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]             ` <33fcfdbf-3edc-4145-a7f0-325bfd42698fn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'guenael Muller' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-06-27  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello all,

Up from the future (10 years !)

I have a similar issue now with playing with pandoc and weasyprint using
pandoc for the templating.
What seems to be a bit curious, is that some html attribute are stripped
off and some are not.

Example:

text</p>

give:

I don't get the logic behind the fact that HTML attribute are stripped for
p and not for div. Understanding it may help me make a decision
if it's worth to adapt my HTML depending on this behavior.

Thanks for your answers,

Guenael

@ 2022-06-27  9:47               ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-27  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

"'guenael Muller' via pandoc-discuss" <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have a similar issue now with playing with pandoc and weasyprint
> using pandoc for the templating.
>
> [...]
>
> I don't get the logic behind the fact that HTML attribute are stripped
> for p and not for div. Understanding it may help me make a decision
> if it's worth to adapt my HTML depending on this behavior.

If you are using pandoc just for templating and as a wrapper for
weasyprint, then you may want to move to a different templating engine
like m4 (here's a nice introduction:
https://ericscrivner.me/2018/07/m4-as-a-basic-templating-system/)

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-06-27  9:55               ` Sukil Etxenike arizaleta
       [not found]                 ` <87174047-ad9b-b702-4a08-eaa3c00c511d-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Sukil Etxenike arizaleta @ 2022-06-27  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What are you trying to do? Pandoc's markdown (and so Pandoc itself)
supports codeblocks (pre or code, I don't remember), divs and spans with
attributes (and I believe headers too). I think paragraphs can't have
attributes.

Cheers,

Sukil

@ 2022-06-27 10:17                   ` 'guenael Muller' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]                     ` <e1b7f6d6-56c7-469e-b2f1-082718e2cbb2n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'guenael Muller' via pandoc-discuss @ 2022-06-27 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The idea there, is to be able to convert both html (generated by a rich
text editor)  and markdown (or other similar markup language) file through
a similar pipeline to a pdf with similar style. Using a different
templating engine somewhere in the pipeline mean more complexity, so i'm
considering the idea of using pandoc templating if the html result is okay.

Thanks.

@ 2022-06-27 11:37                       ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]                         ` <87r13abaeb.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-27 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

"'guenael Muller' via pandoc-discuss" <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> The idea there, is to be able to convert both html (generated by a rich
> text editor)  and markdown (or other similar markup language) file
> through a similar pipeline to a pdf with similar style. Using a
> different templating engine somewhere in the pipeline mean more
> complexity, so i'm considering the idea of using pandoc templating if
> the html result is okay.

OK, I see. How about the following approach then: use a custom reader
that passes the input through as raw HTML if any of the files have an
`.html` extension, but otherwise treats the input as Markdown.

``` lua
function Reader (sources, opts)
  local raw_html = false
  for _, source in ipairs(sources) do
    if source.name:match '%.htm[l]$' then
      raw_html = true
    end
  end
  if raw_html then
    local blocks = sources:map(
      function (source)
        return pandoc.RawBlock('html', tostring(source))
      end
    )
    return pandoc.Pandoc(blocks)
  else
    return pandoc.read(sources, 'markdown', opts)
  end
end
```

See also <https://pandoc.org/custom-readers.html>.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-06-27 12:14                           ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-06-27 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Albert Krewinkel <albert+pandoc-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> "'guenael Muller' via pandoc-discuss" <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> The idea there, is to be able to convert both html (generated by a rich
>> text editor)  and markdown (or other similar markup language) file
>> through a similar pipeline to a pdf with similar style. Using a
>> different templating engine somewhere in the pipeline mean more
>> complexity, so i'm considering the idea of using pandoc templating if
>> the html result is okay.
>
> OK, I see. How about the following approach then: use a custom reader
> that passes the input through as raw HTML if any of the files have an
> `.html` extension, but otherwise treats the input as Markdown.

Shorter version that requires a current development version of pandoc,
but allows to mix .html files and Markdown files in the same command:

``` lua
function Reader (sources, opts)
  local doc = pandoc.Pandoc{}
  for _, source in ipairs(sources) do
    doc = doc ..
      (source.name:match '%.htm[l]?$'
       and pandoc.Pandoc{pandoc.RawBlock('html', tostring(source))}
       or pandoc.read(source, 'markdown', opts))
  end
  return doc
end
```