* pandoc 2.1.1 64 bit Ubuntu: Could not find module `Text.Pandoc.JSON'
@ 2018-01-31 13:43 Uwe Brauer
       [not found] ` <87372mp2je.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-01-31 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi

I just switched from Ubuntu 14.04 32bit to 64 bit and the per-user
installed pandoc did not work anymore, so I just downloaded and
installed the deb package from https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/tag/2.1.1

That worked nicely

However I used a short but very useful hs script

Which looks like

,----
| import Text.Pandoc.JSON
|
| main = toJSONFilter stripmath
|     where stripmath (Math _ _) = Str "FORMULA"
|           stripmath x = x
`----

And which I call

pandoc file  -t json | /home/oub/ALLES/HGs/scripts/stripmath | pandoc -f json -t plain -o file2

However when I do that I obtain

/home/oub/ALLES/HGs/scripts/stripmath: error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
JSON parse error

That is strange since  libgmp.so.10 is installed but now in
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmp.so.10

So I should recompile that script I presume

Which I compiled via

ghc --make stripmath.hs

But then I obtain
stripmath.hs:1:8:
    Could not find module `Text.Pandoc.JSON'
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

Any help would be strongly appreciated

Uwe Brauer

* [installed from source] (was: pandoc 2.1.1 64 bit Ubuntu: Could not find module `Text.Pandoc.JSON')
@ 2018-01-31 16:30 ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]   ` <87y3keng85.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
       [not found] ` <87372mp2je.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-01-31 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

>>> "Uwe" == Uwe Brauer <oub-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org> writes:

   > Hi

I even installed pandoc from source using stack, but the compilation
problem remains.

* Re: pandoc 2.1.1 64 bit Ubuntu: Could not find module `Text.Pandoc.JSON'
       [not found] ` <87372mp2je.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-01-31 17:54   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-01-31 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Uwe Brauer [Jan 31 18 14:43 ]:
>So I should recompile that script I presume
>

>Which I compiled via
>
>ghc --make stripmath.hs
>
>But then I obtain
>stripmath.hs:1:8:
>    Could not find module `Text.Pandoc.JSON'
>    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

Our package only installs the pandoc executable, not the
library. You'd need to install this with cabal or stack in
the usual way, if you want to compile a filter.

Note that you can now write filters in lua; this might be
more convenient as the lua interpreter is built into the
pandoc executable.  See --lua-filter option.

The lua equivalent to your filter would be something like
this 3-liner (untested):

    function Math(el)
      return pandoc.Str("FORMULA")
    end

* Re: (was: pandoc 2.1.1 64 bit Ubuntu: Could not find module `Text.Pandoc.JSON')
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-01-31 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Uwe Brauer [Jan 31 18 17:30 ]:

>   > Hi
>
>I even installed pandoc from source using stack, but the compilation
>problem remains.

Use 'stack ghc' instead of 'ghc' to compile the filter.

* Re:
@ 2018-01-31 19:03       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-01-31 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

>>> "John" == John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

   > +++ Uwe Brauer [Jan 31 18 17:30 ]:
   >>
   >> > Hi
   >>
   >> I even installed pandoc from source using stack, but the compilation
   >> problem remains.

   > Use 'stack ghc' instead of 'ghc' to compile the filter.

Do you mean
stack ghc  stripmath.hs

Does not work neither

stripmath.hs:1:1: error:
    Could not find module ‘Text.Pandoc.JSON’
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

1 | import Text.Pandoc.JSON

@ 2018-01-31 19:04     ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]       ` <87po5ponnx.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-01-31 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

>>> "John" == John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

   > +++ Uwe Brauer [Jan 31 18 14:43 ]:
   >> So I should recompile that script I presume
   >>

   >> Which I compiled via
   >>
   >> ghc --make stripmath.hs
   >>
   >> But then I obtain
   >> stripmath.hs:1:8:
   >> Could not find module `Text.Pandoc.JSON'
   >> Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

   > Our package only installs the pandoc executable, not the
   > library. You'd need to install this with cabal or stack in
   > the usual way, if you want to compile a filter.

How to I obtain the library, which stack command should I use?

@ 2018-01-31 21:41         ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2018-01-31 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

'stack install pandoc' should install the library.

With 'cabal', you could do 'cabal install pandoc'
to install the library, and it would then be
available for 'ghc --make' to find.  Maybe the
same doesn't work for stack?

Try with cabal, then.

* Re: pandoc 2.1.1 64 bit Ubuntu: Could not find module `Text.Pandoc.JSON'
@ 2018-02-01  8:04           ` Uwe Brauer
       [not found]             ` <877erxjfuq.fsf-YB6e1s5WF/He5aOfsHch1g@public.gmane.org>
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2018-02-01  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

>>> "John" == John MACFARLANE
>>> <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> 'stack install pandoc' should install the library.

That's what I did.

> With 'cabal', you could do 'cabal install pandoc'
> to install the library, and it would then be
> available for 'ghc --make' to find.  Maybe the
> same doesn't work for stack?

> Try with cabal, then.

Ok, shall I delete my stack installation, then?

@ 2018-02-01 17:28               ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2018-02-01 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Uwe Brauer [Feb 01 18 09:04 ]:

>>'stack install pandoc' should install the library.
>
>That's what I did.
>

>>With 'cabal', you could do 'cabal install pandoc'
>>to install the library, and it would then be
>>available for 'ghc --make' to find.  Maybe the
>>same doesn't work for stack?
>
>>Try with cabal, then.
>
>Ok, shall I delete my stack installation, then?

I don't know; I typically only use stack when I have a
project with a stack.yaml, so I'm not sure exactly where
'stack ghc' looks for its packages.  You could check
the stack documentation, but maybe for your purposes cabal
is a better bet (and then you wouldn't need stack).