* ANN: pandoc 2.10
@ 2020-06-30  5:22 John MacFarlane
       [not found] ` <m2366db01o.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-06-30  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-announce-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw,
	pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I'm pleased to announce the release of pandoc 2.10,
available in the usual places:

Binary packages & changelog:
  https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/tag/2.10

Source & API documentation:
  http://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc-2.10

Some highlights:

  * Pandoc can now be compiled with ghc 8.10.

  * A native Underline constructor for Inline (#6277, Vaibhav Sagar)
    and more consistent treatment of underlined text in readers
    and writers.

  * More expressive types for tables (#1024, Christian Despres).
    Tables can now take attributes; and rowspans and colspans,
    column headers, multiple row headers, table head and foot
    can all be represented.  (Note, however, that reader and
    writer support for these features is still lacking, so
    most users won't see any differences in table conversion
    yet.  These changes just lay the foundation for further
    improvements.)

  * Templates can now use the pipes `first`, `rest`, `last`, and
    `allbutlast` on arrays.

  * A new `--no-check-certificate` option to disable certificate
    validation when resources are fetched by HTTP (#6156, Cédric Couralet,
    Cécile Chemin, Juliette Fourcot).

  * Boolean fields now work in metadata within defaults files
    (Nikolay Yakimov, #6328).

  * The `implicit_figures` extension now works with commonmark
    and gfm (#6350).

  * We now target version 4.x of reveal.js.  File locations have
    changed, so if you are using pandoc-produced reveal.js files
    with a local copy of reveal.js, you will need to upgrade.

  * epub.css has changed to wrap overlong lines in highlighted code
    blocks (#6242).  This fixes a problem in iBooks v2.4 with our earlier
    horizontally scrolling code blocks.  The problem seems to
    be a bug in iBooks, not pandoc, but since iBooks is a major
    target we're changing pandoc's default behavior so that
    pandoc-produced epubs work on that platform.

  * Many other bug fixes and small improvements (see the changelog
    for details).

API changes:

  * New Underline constructor for Inline and new Table types for Block.

  * Use new type PandocLua for all pandoc Lua operations.

  * Use PandocError for exceptions in Lua subsystem.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, and especially Christian Despres for
creating the new table types and modifying the whole code base to use it,
Vaibhav Sagar for implenting the Underline constructor, Mathieu Boespflug for
improving the DocBook reader, Joseph C. Sible for many code improvements and
some important fixes to Text.Pandoc.UUID, and Albert Krewinkel for work on the
lua subsystem, Jira reader and writer, Org reader and writer, and JATS reader.
Thanks, as well, to those who have raised issues, participated in discussions,
and helped to triage bugs.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found] ` <m2366db01o.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-06-30 13:18   ` 'andre...-32lpuo7BZBA@public.gmane.org' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]     ` <7c2e96b3-53e2-402d-b5c6-dfb462a56760n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: 'andre...-32lpuo7BZBA@public.gmane.org' via pandoc-discuss @ 2020-06-30 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks
Any plans to add native support for "alt text" when converting markdwon to
pdf?
Currently, i either have to learn another language (Lua) or convert to word
first, then to pdf.
Neither of which are optimal
cheers

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 1:22:28 AM UTC-4 John MacFarlane wrote:

> [...]
>
> API changes:
>
> * New Underline constructor for Inline and new Table types for Block.
>
> * Use new type PandocLua for all pandoc Lua operations.
>
> * Use PandocError for exceptions in Lua subsystem.
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributed, and especially Christian Despres for
> creating the new table types and modifying the whole code base to use it,
> Vaibhav Sagar for implenting the Underline constructor, Mathieu Boespflug
> for
> improving the DocBook reader, Joseph C. Sible for many code improvements
> and
> some important fixes to Text.Pandoc.UUID, and Albert Krewinkel for work on
> the
> lua subsystem, Jira reader and writer, Org reader and writer, and JATS
> reader.
> Thanks, as well, to those who have raised issues, participated in

* Re: LaTeX alt text (was: ANN: pandoc 2.10)
       [not found]     ` <7c2e96b3-53e2-402d-b5c6-dfb462a56760n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-06-30 19:07       ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2020-06-30 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thank you for your question. This does not seem directly related to the
latest release, a separate thread would have been preferable.

To answer your question: see https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5409
TL;DR: not a solved problem. Till then, use `-t context -M pdfa` when
producing PDFs.

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found]     ` <7c2e96b3-53e2-402d-b5c6-dfb462a56760n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-06-30 20:50       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-06-30 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'andre...@noaa.gov' via pandoc-discuss, pandoc-discuss

See https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/6095
and fuller discussion at
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/5409

Bottom line is that making fully accessible PDFs via LaTeX is still a bit
out of reach.

The most promising package is tagpdf, but its documentation says
"This package is not meant for normal document production.
You need a current expl3 version to use it, you even need the
(experimental) l3str- convert."

It's an unfortunate situation, but I don't think pandoc can do
more until the LaTeX tooling is there...

I have now noticed this
http://ctan.math.washington.edu/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/accessibility/accessibility.pdf
which seems pretty new, but I haven't tried it.  But not
encouraging to hear the problems they acknowledge in the
manual, e.g. you can't have formatted text in headings.

<pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> [...]
>>
>> API changes:
>>
>> * New Underline constructor for Inline and new Table types for Block.
>>
>> * Use new type PandocLua for all pandoc Lua operations.
>>
>> * Use PandocError for exceptions in Lua subsystem.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who contributed, and especially Christian Despres for
>> creating the new table types and modifying the whole code base to use it,
>> Vaibhav Sagar for implenting the Underline constructor, Mathieu Boespflug
>> for
>> improving the DocBook reader, Joseph C. Sible for many code improvements
>> and
>> some important fixes to Text.Pandoc.UUID, and Albert Krewinkel for work on
>> the
>> lua subsystem, Jira reader and writer, Org reader and writer, and JATS
>> reader.
>> Thanks, as well, to those who have raised issues, participated in

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found] ` <m2366db01o.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-01  1:34   ` Lloyd R. Prentice
From: Lloyd R. Prentice @ 2020-07-01  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw
  Cc: pandoc-announce-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Many thanks for wonderful work!

LRP

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>
>  * Many other bug fixes and small improvements (see the changelog
>    for details).
>
> API changes:
>
>  * New Underline constructor for Inline and new Table types for Block.
>
>  * Use new type PandocLua for all pandoc Lua operations.
>
>  * Use PandocError for exceptions in Lua subsystem.
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributed, and especially Christian Despres for
> creating the new table types and modifying the whole code base to use it,
> Vaibhav Sagar for implenting the Underline constructor, Mathieu Boespflug for
> improving the DocBook reader, Joseph C. Sible for many code improvements and
> some important fixes to Text.Pandoc.UUID, and Albert Krewinkel for work on the
> lua subsystem, Jira reader and writer, Org reader and writer, and JATS reader.
> Thanks, as well, to those who have raised issues, participated in discussions,

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found] ` <m2366db01o.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-01  7:52   ` Axel Kielhorn
       [not found]     ` <117937E5-2D23-4738-AC38-566BD144AAC5-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-07-01  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc discuss discuss

> Am 30.06.2020 um 07:22 schrieb John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>

> I'm pleased to announce the release of pandoc 2.10,
> available in the usual places:

When building Pandoc 2.10 (git d6711bd7d98d69541e8617236c2f2c358dd67307) on MacOS X 10.13.6 I get the following Error:

pandoc axel$ stack install
pandoc> build (lib + exe)
Preprocessing library for pandoc-2.10..
Building library for pandoc-2.10..
[ 34 of 170] Compiling Text.Pandoc.Options
ghc: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
(GHC version 8.6.5 for x86_64-apple-darwin):
	Loading temp shared object failed: dlopen(/var/folders/k_/9m4s455163gf98kx6rmhb34h0000gn/T/ghc16329_0/libghc_49.dylib, 5): Symbol not found: _pandoczmtypeszm1zi21zmLb7evYKD6jv46JnhbWrkOK_TextziPandocziBuilder_underline1_info
Referenced from: /var/folders/k_/9m4s455163gf98kx6rmhb34h0000gn/T/ghc16329_0/libghc_49.dylib
Expected in: flat namespace
in /var/folders/k_/9m4s455163gf98kx6rmhb34h0000gn/T/ghc16329_0/libghc_49.dylib

Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug

--  While building package pandoc-2.10 using:
/Users/axel/.stack/setup-exe-cache/x86_64-osx/Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_2.4.0.1_ghc-8.6.5 --builddir=.stack-work/dist/x86_64-osx/Cabal-2.4.0.1 build lib:pandoc exe:pandoc --ghc-options " -fdiagnostics-color=always"
Process exited with code: ExitFailure 1

Do I need a more recent GHC?

Pandoc.cabal says:

tested-with:     GHC == 8.0.2, GHC == 8.2.2, GHC == 8.4.4, GHC == 8.6.5,
         GHC == 8.8.3, GHC == 8.10.1

Greetings
Axel

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found]     ` <117937E5-2D23-4738-AC38-566BD144AAC5-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-01 17:53       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <m2mu4ji0ld.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-07-01 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Kielhorn, Pandoc discuss discuss

ghc 8.6.5 should be fine.  I'm not sure what is going on here.
Does this happen on a fresh checkout of the repository?
(If not, try removing an existing .stack-work subdirectory.)

Axel Kielhorn <a.kielhorn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> Am 30.06.2020 um 07:22 schrieb John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>>

>> I'm pleased to announce the release of pandoc 2.10,
>> available in the usual places:
>
> When building Pandoc 2.10 (git d6711bd7d98d69541e8617236c2f2c358dd67307) on MacOS X 10.13.6 I get the following Error:
>
> pandoc axel$ stack install
> pandoc> build (lib + exe)
> Preprocessing library for pandoc-2.10..
> Building library for pandoc-2.10..
> [ 34 of 170] Compiling Text.Pandoc.Options
> ghc: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
> (GHC version 8.6.5 for x86_64-apple-darwin):
> 	Loading temp shared object failed: dlopen(/var/folders/k_/9m4s455163gf98kx6rmhb34h0000gn/T/ghc16329_0/libghc_49.dylib, 5): Symbol not found: _pandoczmtypeszm1zi21zmLb7evYKD6jv46JnhbWrkOK_TextziPandocziBuilder_underline1_info
> Referenced from: /var/folders/k_/9m4s455163gf98kx6rmhb34h0000gn/T/ghc16329_0/libghc_49.dylib
> Expected in: flat namespace
> in /var/folders/k_/9m4s455163gf98kx6rmhb34h0000gn/T/ghc16329_0/libghc_49.dylib
>
> Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
>

> --  While building package pandoc-2.10 using:
> /Users/axel/.stack/setup-exe-cache/x86_64-osx/Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_2.4.0.1_ghc-8.6.5 --builddir=.stack-work/dist/x86_64-osx/Cabal-2.4.0.1 build lib:pandoc exe:pandoc --ghc-options " -fdiagnostics-color=always"
> Process exited with code: ExitFailure 1
>
> Do I need a more recent GHC?
>
> Pandoc.cabal says:
>
> tested-with:     GHC == 8.0.2, GHC == 8.2.2, GHC == 8.4.4, GHC == 8.6.5,
>          GHC == 8.8.3, GHC == 8.10.1
>

> Greetings
> Axel
>
> --

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found] ` <m2366db01o.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-07-02  1:12   ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2020-07-02  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Are there any pointers on adding support of the new ASTs on filter
interfaces, specifically the new table AST? Thanks.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found]         ` <m2mu4ji0ld.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-02  4:15           ` Axel Kielhorn
       [not found]             ` <4EC8C949-C4D8-44AB-A1D4-0D0C3656C970-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-07-02  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc discuss discuss

> Am 01.07.2020 um 19:53 schrieb John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>

> ghc 8.6.5 should be fine.  I'm not sure what is going on here.
> Does this happen on a fresh checkout of the repository?
> (If not, try removing an existing .stack-work subdirectory.)

I removed everything from .stack-work but I get the same message.

A stack clean didn’t help either.

Any ideas what else to try?

Greetings Axel

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
@ 2020-07-02 13:26     ` jiewuza
       [not found]       ` <m27dvmgi93.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
From: jiewuza @ 2020-07-02 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Kolen Cheung <christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> Are there any pointers on adding support of the new ASTs on filter
> interfaces, specifically the new table AST? Thanks.

I am also interested in this question, as I am wondering if it is
possible for a lua filter to convert a rowspan/colspan table in html to
one in latex.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found]             ` <4EC8C949-C4D8-44AB-A1D4-0D0C3656C970-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-02 16:29               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <m2k0zlhocm.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-07-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Kielhorn, Pandoc discuss discuss

Hm.  I'm baffled, since I build pandoc every day on a Mac
with stack and ghc 8.6.5.

We also do regular CI with this setup.

Check your global stack settings, maybe?

Axel Kielhorn <a.kielhorn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> Am 01.07.2020 um 19:53 schrieb John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>>

>> ghc 8.6.5 should be fine.  I'm not sure what is going on here.
>> Does this happen on a fresh checkout of the repository?
>> (If not, try removing an existing .stack-work subdirectory.)
>
> I removed everything from .stack-work but I get the same message.
>
> A stack clean didn’t help either.
>
> Any ideas what else to try?
>
> Greetings Axel
>

> --

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found]       ` <m27dvmgi93.fsf-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-02 16:31         ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]           ` <m2h7upho8z.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-07-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Currently none of the readers support row/colspans.
So filters can't help you here. hopefully that will
begin to change.

jiewuza <jiewuza-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Kolen Cheung <christian.kolen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
> writes:
>
>> Are there any pointers on adding support of the new ASTs on filter
>> interfaces, specifically the new table AST? Thanks.
>
> I am also interested in this question, as I am wondering if it is
> possible for a lua filter to convert a rowspan/colspan table in html to
> one in latex.
>
> --

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found]                 ` <m2k0zlhocm.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-02 17:46                   ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-07-02 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandoc discuss discuss

> Am 02.07.2020 um 18:29 schrieb John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>:
>

> Hm.  I'm baffled, since I build pandoc every day on a Mac
> with stack and ghc 8.6.5.
>
> We also do regular CI with this setup.
>
> Check your global stack settings, maybe?

I removed everything in

.stack/snapshots/x86_64-osx

and this time it works.

Thanks
Axel

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found]           ` <m2h7upho8z.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-02 23:52             ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]               ` <1d38ad14-28f2-4d35-b54c-44cdbeadff42o-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2020-07-02 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Yes, but some framework (such as panflute) parses the AST so currently
panflute is broken when used together with pandoc 2.10 because it doesn't
understand the new AST. Also, it has been pantable's goal to support every
feature supported by the pandoc table AST. So pantable, acting as a
"markdown extension of CSV table" (i.e. it provides a mapping from CSV to
pandoc AST) can start to support that first, every if pandoc writers may
not support it yet.

Or may be could you point out where we should start looking more into this?
e.g.

- https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/1024
- https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-types/issues/65
- https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-types/pull/66
- https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc <- which one should we start
here?

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 9:32:18 AM UTC-7, John MacFarlane wrote:

> Currently none of the readers support row/colspans.
> So filters can't help you here. hopefully that will
> begin to change.
>
> jiewuza <jie...-9Onoh4P/yGk@public.gmane.org <javascript:>> writes:
>
> > Kolen Cheung <christi...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <javascript:>>
> > writes:
> >
> >> Are there any pointers on adding support of the new ASTs on filter
> >> interfaces, specifically the new table AST? Thanks.
> >
> > I am also interested in this question, as I am wondering if it is
> > possible for a lua filter to convert a rowspan/colspan table in html to
> > one in latex.
> >
> > --
> an email to pandoc-...-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org <javascript:>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/m27dvmgi93.fsf%40163.com.

* Re: ANN: pandoc 2.10
       [not found]               ` <1d38ad14-28f2-4d35-b54c-44cdbeadff42o-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-07-02 23:55                 ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2020-07-02 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

By the way, an issue started in panflute discussing this. Feel feel to give
us some pointers there: https://github.com/sergiocorreia/panflute/issues/142
Thanks.

@ 2020-07-03  4:47                 ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2020-07-03  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)