* Processing the wedge ∧ in mediawiki is unviewable in pdf output using xelatex...
@ 2017-10-17 12:33 Federer Fanatic
       [not found] ` <237dcd67-2755-4a0d-852f-2b239c076b4a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Federer Fanatic @ 2017-10-17 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Example: (see attached PDF and wedge.tex, full file)

I used the command: pandoc -f mediawiki -s -t latex -i wedge.mediawiki -o
wedge.tex

See attached files.

pandoc --version yields:
pandoc 1.19.2.4
Compiled with pandoc-types 1.17.0.5, texmath 0.9.4.2, skylighting 0.1.1.5

xelatex --version
XeTeX 3.14159265-2.6-0.99996 (TeX Live 2016/Debian)
kpathsea version 6.2.2

[-- Attachment #2: wedge.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: wedge.mediawiki --]

'''Wedge''' ('''∧''') is a [[symbol]] used to represent:

leaves ∧ unchanged in latex output

Also the construct:
 {{unichar|2227|Logical and|html=}}

seens to generate nothing.

[-- Attachment #4: wedge.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 1915 bytes --]

\documentclass[]{article}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}
\usepackage{ifxetex,ifluatex}
\usepackage{fixltx2e} % provides \textsubscript
\ifnum 0\ifxetex 1\fi\ifluatex 1\fi=0 % if pdftex
  \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
  \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\else % if luatex or xelatex
  \ifxetex
    \usepackage{mathspec}
  \else
    \usepackage{fontspec}
  \fi
  \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX,Scale=MatchLowercase}
\fi
% use upquote if available, for straight quotes in verbatim environments
\IfFileExists{upquote.sty}{\usepackage{upquote}}{}
% use microtype if available
\IfFileExists{microtype.sty}{%
\usepackage[]{microtype}
\UseMicrotypeSet[protrusion]{basicmath} % disable protrusion for tt fonts
}{}
\PassOptionsToPackage{hyphens}{url} % url is loaded by hyperref
\usepackage[unicode=true]{hyperref}
\hypersetup{
            pdfborder={0 0 0},
            breaklinks=true}
\urlstyle{same}  % don't use monospace font for urls
\IfFileExists{parskip.sty}{%
\usepackage{parskip}
}{% else
\setlength{\parindent}{0pt}
\setlength{\parskip}{6pt plus 2pt minus 1pt}
}
\setlength{\emergencystretch}{3em}  % prevent overfull lines
\providecommand{\tightlist}{%
  \setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}\setlength{\parskip}{0pt}}
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}
% Redefines (sub)paragraphs to behave more like sections
\ifx\paragraph\undefined\else
\let\oldparagraph\paragraph
\renewcommand{\paragraph}[1]{\oldparagraph{#1}\mbox{}}
\fi
\ifx\subparagraph\undefined\else
\let\oldsubparagraph\subparagraph
\renewcommand{\subparagraph}[1]{\oldsubparagraph{#1}\mbox{}}
\fi

% set default figure placement to htbp
\makeatletter
\def\fps@figure{htbp}
\makeatother

\date{}

\begin{document}

\textbf{Wedge} (\textbf{∧}) is a \url{symbol} used to represent:

leaves~∧ unchanged in latex output

Also the construct: ~~

seens to generate nothing.

\end{document}

* Re: Processing the wedge ∧ in mediawiki is unviewable in pdf output using xelatex...
       [not found] ` <237dcd67-2755-4a0d-852f-2b239c076b4a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-17 16:35   ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]     ` <87shehk9zn.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2017-10-17 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tue, Oct 17 2017, Federer Fanatic wrote:
> Example: (see attached PDF and wedge.tex, full file)
>
> I used the command: pandoc -f mediawiki -s -t latex -i
> wedge.mediawiki -o
> wedge.tex

This seems to be related to the use of

\usepackage{lmodern}

in your file. I'm not sure of the details, but it seems that
you'll need to set an appropriate font. Pandoc will then make sure
that this line isn't added to your template.

The Linux Libertine fonts work fine and IMHO opinion look quite
good. Add the following:

--variable=sansfont:"Linux Biolinum O" --variable=mainfont:"Linux
Libertine O"

to your pandoc invocation and, provided you have the Libertine
fonts, it should work.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2017-10-17 17:32       ` Federer Fanatic
       [not found]         ` <CAAwvWVrk0OX4TM8O8jVCZjXib684srmDrz-cZQ4unxb4+GP_Mg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Federer Fanatic @ 2017-10-17 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks! That worked. How would I determine other possible fonts that
would also render things
visibly? Is there an underlying method?

FF

 Roger Federer Fanatic Extraordinaire :-)

@ 2017-10-17 18:38           ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]             ` <87r2u1k4bg.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2017-10-17 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tue, Oct 17 2017, Federer Fanatic wrote:
> Thanks! That worked. How would I determine other possible fonts
> that
> would also render things
> visibly? Is there an underlying method?

Other than trying, I'm afraid not. I tend to use LibreOffice for
that sort of thing, because it's easy to select some text and
change its font.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2017-10-25 21:56               ` Rik
From: Rik @ 2017-10-25 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2017-10-17 14:38, Joost Kremers wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17 2017, Federer Fanatic wrote:
>> Thanks! That worked. How would I determine other possible fonts that
>> would also render things
>> visibly? Is there an underlying method?
>
> Other than trying, I'm afraid not. I tend to use LibreOffice for that
> sort of thing, because it's easy to select some text and change its font.

BabelMap (http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html) is a free
Windows GUI program with a font coverage utility that will inform you
which of your fonts covers a specified Unicode character. It has many
other uses as well.

--
Rik