* state of the art in pandoc CLI wrappers?
@ 2022-05-18 13:51 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <d7b0f530-f434-02f2-70fa-5eef2347d02d-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2022-05-18 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have my own CLI wrapper and occasionally look in the state of things to see if I should use something mainstream. Looking at the [web page][1], I note three options:

[1]: https://pandoc.org/extras.html#cli-wrappers

1. pandocomatic, which still seems active
2. panrun hasn't been updated in years and doesn't respect
   underscore option (e.g., output_).
3. panzer is abandoned: "the --metadata-file option and Lua filters ...
   means that 90% of what can be done with panzer can be done with
   pandoc and some simple wrapper scripts. I no longer use panzer in my
   own workflow for this reason."

The panzer comment intrigued me because for my scripts I'm configuring specific CLI options, and metadata doesn't solve that, though providing templates/defaults could. Has anything else happened recently?

—Joseph

* Re: state of the art in pandoc CLI wrappers?
       [not found] ` <d7b0f530-f434-02f2-70fa-5eef2347d02d-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-05-18 14:45   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87v8u2aoee.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-05-18 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have my own CLI wrapper and occasionally look in the state of things
> to see if I should use something mainstream. Looking at the [web
> page][1], I note three options:
>
> [1]: https://pandoc.org/extras.html#cli-wrappers

It's a bit more than a CLI wrapper, but maybe we should add [Quarto] to
that list?

[Quarto]: https://quarto.org

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2022-05-18 15:06       ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-05-18 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Den ons 18 maj 2022 16:48Albert Krewinkel <albert+pandoc-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
skrev:

> Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > I have my own CLI wrapper and occasionally look in the state of things
> > to see if I should use something mainstream. Looking at the [web
> > page][1], I note three options:
> >
> > [1]: https://pandoc.org/extras.html#cli-wrappers
>
> It's a bit more than a CLI wrapper, but maybe we should add [Quarto] to
> that list?
>
> [Quarto]: https://quarto.org

Very interesting. It should probably be on that page if not in that
particular list.

@ 2022-05-18 17:07       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]         ` <845cec37-32af-1a31-685a-dabc3d42b314-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2022-05-18 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Does Quarto allow you to specify filters or csl files in the document itself? For example, I like to use the pantable filter in some documents but not all -- it's too slow for that.

I would worry about a document compromised on a webhost and then synced locally compromising my local machine, so I appreciate pandoc's constraint against running arbitrary filters from the document's metadata.
My CLI wrapper, which doesn't exist on the webhost, gives me some protection from that as it constrains what can be done to a few filters and CSLs.

I could use pandoc's the defaults feature. And 95% of the time I only have a few command line options/filters, but I haven't wanted to create a bunch of default files to cover their permutations. (I know they can be overlayed with command line options, but can default files stack?)

@ 2022-05-18 21:06           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-05-18 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:
> (I know they can be overlayed with command line options, but can default files stack?)

Yes, a defaults file can include a defaults: field referencing
another one, and so on.

@ 2022-05-18 21:13           ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2022-05-18 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Does Quarto allow you to specify filters or csl files in the document
> itself? For example, I like to use the pantable filter in some
> documents but not all -- it's too slow for that.

See <https://quarto.org/docs/authoring/filters.html>
CSL can be set via metadata, no wrapper needed for that.

> I would worry about a document compromised on a webhost and then
> synced locally compromising my local machine, so I appreciate pandoc's
> constraint against running arbitrary filters from the document's
> metadata.

Pandoc follows the design principle that, if an attacker can control a
document but not the command that's being run, then the worst they
should be able to do is cause pandoc to hang. On the other hand, tools
like Quarto or Jupyter Notebooks treat documents as programs; the
assumption that anything can happen is already built-in. That's why
running arbitrary filters is not a problem under their thread model.

--
Albert Krewinkel