* Gitter chatroom?
@ 2018-11-22 10:24 Brian Leung
       [not found] ` <24d08a0a-b221-4f86-bfae-698078ee628e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Brian Leung @ 2018-11-22 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Would it be possible to have a Gitter chatroom (gitter.im) for Pandoc?
Anyone with a Github account can use it to sign into Gitter, and it also
works with IRC.

* Gitter chatroom?
       [not found] ` <24d08a0a-b221-4f86-bfae-698078ee628e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-11-22 21:24   ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]     ` <77c31a25-a7b1-4f1c-8fc2-08186e2f33ab-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2018-11-22 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My guess is this community won't like that.

Response here is often pretty quick though.

* Re: Gitter chatroom?
       [not found] ` <24d08a0a-b221-4f86-bfae-698078ee628e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-11-23 15:33   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m236rrdd0p.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2018-11-23 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Leung, pandoc-discuss

Personally I prefer the asynchronous nature of a mail
list to asynchronous chat, so I would not be
interested in monitoring such a channel myself.
And I think there's a downside to fragmenting pandoc
discussion rather than concentrating it in one place.

Brian Leung <bkleung89-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Would it be possible to have a Gitter chatroom (gitter.im) for Pandoc?
> Anyone with a Github account can use it to sign into Gitter, and it also
> works with IRC.
>
> --

* Re: Gitter chatroom?
       [not found]     ` <m236rrdd0p.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-11-24 19:55       ` Albert Krewinkel
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2018-11-24 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Brian Leung

John MacFarlane writes:

> Personally I prefer the asynchronous nature of a mail
> list to asynchronous chat, so I would not be
> interested in monitoring such a channel myself.
> And I think there's a downside to fragmenting pandoc
> discussion rather than concentrating it in one place.
>
> Brian Leung <bkleung89-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Would it be possible to have a Gitter chatroom (gitter.im) for Pandoc?
>> Anyone with a Github account can use it to sign into Gitter, and it also
>> works with IRC.

I'd be interested in joining if the chat came into existence.
However, it the success or failure of such a chat would depend on
getting a critical number of people willing to hang around. While
the informal nature of a chat could make it easier for some
people to ask for help, not getting an answer in a timely fashion
would be frustrating.

Maybe a platform other than gitter would be better to test this.
Gitter chats are strongly linked to projects, while stackoverflow
chats appear to be more detached and less official. Additional
fragmentation should be minimal, too.

* Re: Gitter chatroom?
       [not found]     ` <77c31a25-a7b1-4f1c-8fc2-08186e2f33ab-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-01-15  6:42       ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]         ` <87tviav2ua.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2019-01-15  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

It occurred to me yesterday that people behind the great firewall of
china are unable to access google, and, in extension, google groups.

There is conflicting information on whether GitHub is accessible from
mainlaind China, but it seems like it is not blocked. Gitter.im is
accessible as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websites_blocked_in_mainland_China
https://www.comparitech.com/privacy-security-tools/blockedinchina/

Looking at people who stared pandoc on GitHub indicates that there are
quite a few Chinese users. I'm have no idea how pervasive VPN use is
among them. Should we be accommodating users behind the firewall
somehow?

--
Albert Krewinkel

* Re: Gitter chatroom?