* Convert text to ICML, Error unexpected "%"
@ 2017-10-31 11:43 'Jan-Frederik Stieler' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <3028a0f6-c20e-4020-b75b-35f285d1e200-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Jan-Frederik Stieler' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-10-31 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

I'm new to Pandoc and Latex and I try to convert an tex-file to icml for
using with Indesign.
But now I get an error in my terminal:

This is the command I use:

pandoc-test Jan$ pandoc /Users/Jan/Downloads/tex/doc/bookdoc.tex -f latex
> -t icml -s -o /Users/Jan/Downloads/tex/doc/bookdoc.icml

and this the error I got shown up:

pandoc:
> Error at "input" (line 22, column 8):
> unexpected "%"
> expecting letter, lf new-line, "*", "[" or "{"
> \author%
>        ^
> CallStack (from HasCallStack):
>   error, called at src/Text/Pandoc/Error.hs:66:13 in
> pandoc-1.19.2.1-J1nmFBg9ln971v0RrPbKLJ:Text.Pandoc.Error

Can anyone tell me what the the problem is and how can I solve this?

Best,
Jan

* Re: Convert text to ICML, Error unexpected "%"
       [not found] ` <3028a0f6-c20e-4020-b75b-35f285d1e200-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-31 14:08   ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]     ` <874lqf76lf.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2017-10-31 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tue, Oct 31 2017, via pandoc-discuss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Pandoc and Latex and I try to convert an tex-file to
> icml for
> using with Indesign.
> But now I get an error in my terminal:
>
> This is the command I use:
>
> pandoc-test Jan$ pandoc /Users/Jan/Downloads/tex/doc/bookdoc.tex
> -f latex
>> -t icml -s -o /Users/Jan/Downloads/tex/doc/bookdoc.icml
>

> and this the error I got shown up:
>
> pandoc:
>> Error at "input" (line 22, column 8):
>> unexpected "%"
>> expecting letter, lf new-line, "*", "[" or "{"
>> \author%
>>        ^
>> CallStack (from HasCallStack):
>>   error, called at src/Text/Pandoc/Error.hs:66:13 in
>> pandoc-1.19.2.1-J1nmFBg9ln971v0RrPbKLJ:Text.Pandoc.Error

It seems your tex file contains something that Pandoc cannot
handle. You have a percent sign (comment marker) directly
following the `\author` macro. I suspect that is valid LaTeX, but
it seems Pandoc doesn't know about this. So the quick work-around
is to remove that percent sign and anything following it on the
same line, and then try again.

John will have to decide if he wants to make Pandoc accept this
sort of thing or not.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2017-10-31 14:40       ` 'Jan-Frederik Stieler' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]         ` <fd12cba8-fa02-4c65-8e0d-c20245eb15c1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Jan-Frederik Stieler' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-10-31 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

in Texshop, a gui for OSX, I have no problems to output it as PDF with no
problems.
The data comes from a ready to use class:
https://github.com/vtex-soft/texsupport.aka

The % is on a lot of positions in the .tex document. Also before the Line
22, so it is a little bit confussing.

@ 2017-10-31 16:38           ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]             ` <87375z6zo5.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2017-10-31 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tue, Oct 31 2017, via pandoc-discuss wrote:
> in Texshop, a gui for OSX, I have no problems to output it as
> PDF with no
> problems.

Yeah, like I said, it's valid LaTeX. The problem is that Pandoc
apparently doesn't accept it. Pandoc is not a TeX engine, it uses
its own LaTeX parser, so there's no guarantee that everything that
is allowed / possible in LaTeX is actually accepted by Pandoc's
LaTeX reader.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2017-10-31 17:14               ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-31 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If it's valid LaTeX, we should try to accept it.

It would be helpful if someone can submit a bug report
on our issue tracker.  It has nothing to do with ICML,
it's about the LaTeX reader.

+++ Joost Kremers [Oct 31 17 17:38 ]:

@ 2017-10-31 18:29                 ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-31 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Never mind, I'm fixing it now.

+++ John MACFARLANE [Oct 31 17 10:14 ]:

@ 2017-10-31 18:32                   ` 'Jan-Frederik Stieler' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'Jan-Frederik Stieler' via pandoc-discuss @ 2017-10-31 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi,

okay, thank you very much!
If you need a bugreport furthermore make a short notice and I will write.

Cherio