On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 3:52:02 PM UTC-8, kurt.p...-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org wrote: > > On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:01:45 PM UTC+1, Phillip Smith wrote: > > >> >> On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 10:10:31 AM UTC-8, John MacFarlane wrote: >>> >>> +++ Phillip Smith [Jan 26 15 14:36 ]: >>> >Let me perhaps re-phrase my question: What have been the barriers that >>> have prevented an odt reader from being added before? >>> > >>> >I'm curious why so many readers are available, but not odt? Are there >>> obstacles that are well-known and hard to overcome? >>> >>> No. It has just been waiting for somebody to have an itch severe enough >>> to need scratching. (Note that you might get decent results using >>> libreoffice to do HTML or docbook export, and running that through pandoc.) >>> >> >> We need it to be scripted, so I'm not sure that would work... (I'm >> currently trying to find documentation for the lowriter library. Any >> pointers appreciated.) >> > Someone has already posted a pointer to unoconv. > Yes. Thank you. I've started experimenting with `unconv`. > But LibreOffice can also be used on the command line directly to work as > an export filter. (unoconv is just a sophisticated wrapper around the LO > command line interface.) > Okay. I was looking for some documentation but was hunting for `lowriting` not `soffice`. > To see an overview of command line options, run ./soffice -help. For > more detailled info about the available import and export filters, see: > > - > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/filter/source/config/fragments/filters > > - > http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/2641/convert-to-command-line-parameter/ > > > Helpful. I'll do some digging here. The one immediate hurdle I'm seeing is that both LO (via GUI) and `unoconv` produce HTML output that contains data that we don't need, e.g., classes on headings and page numbers, which subsequently get added to the markdown file. I'm reluctant to start down to far down the path of developing a less flexible two-step approach (odt -> html, then html -> markdown/docx) when it seems like there might be an option to create a new reader for .odt that would handle this more directly and elegantly. My colleague is going to take a closer look at the docx reader this week. Still open to the idea of a bounty if anyone's got the interest and time. Many thanks for all the help so far. Greatly appreciated. Phillip. > > > ​ > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/8a1fd1ad-bce5-4ddc-8451-b3199eea6375%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.