* Changing typographical quotation marks in citations
@ 2022-06-30 12:04 John Carter Wood
       [not found] ` <da178cb2-48fa-4f53-8417-02dcae0129acn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-06-30 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

In setting up a CSL file for a German-language publisher (but for
English-language texts), I've run into the issue of needing to change the
typographical quotation marks when converting from Markdown to docx or pdf.
I am familiar with pandoc-quotes.lua but when using it, it changes the
quote marks in the main text, but not in the citations (which come from a
json file).

The result changes the main text quotation marks but not the citations (see
screenshot).

[image: Screenshot from 2022-06-30 13-55-41.png]

Is there a way of getting the quotation marks I want in the citations as
well?

(pandoc-version 2.18)

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot from 2022-06-30 13-55-41.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 13895 bytes --]

* Re: Changing typographical quotation marks in citations
       [not found] ` <da178cb2-48fa-4f53-8417-02dcae0129acn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-06-30 12:34   ` Sukil Etxenike arizaleta
       [not found]     ` <e4a10b1a-a31b-109f-58b7-8b6213593f22-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Sukil Etxenike arizaleta @ 2022-06-30 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

After looking at the spec (the only experience I have with CSL files), I
think you would need to modify your CSL file, Add a locale element in
the root style element, like this:

     <locale xml:lang="en">

         <terms>
             <term name = "open-quote">&laquo;</term>
             <term name = "close-quote">&raquo;</term>
         </terms>
     </locale>
(Or try left-inner-quote and right-inner quote instead, maybe)
Hth,
Sukil

@ 2022-06-30 12:41       ` John Carter Wood
       [not found]         ` <062deeeb-9dfb-4ca3-ae3a-10b360293315n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-06-30 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

That's very helpful, thank you!

I had looked at the spec but overlooked the part on locales and quotes.

https://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/translating-locale-files.html#punctuation

I will give that a try (probably tomorrow) and report whether it works for
me or other problems crop up.

@ 2022-06-30 16:23           ` BPJ
       [not found]             ` <CADAJKhAaLedtM4gWri6L-OFxG0aPoLA24w71Wn8zw+M-QxQe4g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-30 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Have you tried running pandoc-quotes.lua after citeproc?

use this in a defaults file:

``````yaml
filters:
  - citeproc
  - pandoc-quotes.lua
``````

Make sure to remove any `citeproc: true` field!

@ 2022-06-30 16:29               ` John Carter Wood
       [not found]                 ` <0db7e968-6c00-4399-bd8e-a7b2ad46a841n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-06-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks!

This is the command I used:

pandoc CSL-Test.md -o CSL-test.docx --citeproc --lua-filter
pandoc-quotes.lua
--reference-doc=/home/john/.pandoc/templates/custom-reference.docx
CSL-Test.md

Shouldn't this order have the same effect as what you suggested?

@ 2022-06-30 17:53                   ` BPJ
       [not found]                     ` <CADAJKhATktFtxGyijTU7z8S34sOG0RmfQwRatSuQVB2ODSgyKg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2022-06-30 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

IIUC --citeproc corresponds to `citeproc: true`. Have you tried what
happens with `--filter citeproc`? Does it work at all? I have no data to
test that on ATM.

@ 2022-06-30 20:25                       ` John Carter Wood
       [not found]                         ` <8c8c4dcc-5189-4b88-833d-c9154d1d2fb1n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-06-30 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I will try this out when I have a chance and report back, thanks!

@ 2022-07-01 14:15                           ` John Carter Wood
From: John Carter Wood @ 2022-07-01 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss