* Lua filter reading data from metadata or defaults file
@ 2020-09-25  9:36 krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found] ` <8a242488-066f-4c2a-aa0a-992788fa9e93n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-09-25  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I would like to ask, whether it is possible for a lua filter to read data
from metadata block (or metadata file) or from defaults file? I looked
around website documentation, also into `lua filter repository`, but found
no filter accessing metadata values in `defaults file` fields.
I am working on a custom lua filter, for which I want to specify a metadata
field, which would point to external file with required definitions, very
similar to python filter `pandoc-mustache` github source here :
<https://github.com/michaelstepner/pandoc-mustache/blob/master/pandoc_mustache/pandoc_mustache.py>

`defaults.yaml`:

```

mustache:
- ./src/varDefinitions.yaml

```

*Motivation:* Plans for this filter are to provide functionalities of LaTeX
`glossaries` package to `pandoc`. There are already some filters, which
take theyre own approach to the issue, but none of them gives full acronym
support specific to given format.
Long-term plans would be to also provide support for term definitions in
`glossaries`-like style.

Thanks for any guidance in this issue.
Regards, Tomas

* Re: Lua filter reading data from metadata or defaults file
       [not found] ` <8a242488-066f-4c2a-aa0a-992788fa9e93n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2020-09-25 10:06   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87v9g2jhm4.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2020-09-25 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You should be able to access `mustache` as a normal metadata field if it
is nested under the field `metadata` in defaults.yaml:

    ---
    metadata:

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2020-09-25 11:36       ` krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
       [not found]         ` <9dbbc23d-1cde-4c0b-898a-ecbe4679d614n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org @ 2020-09-25 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Those are good news!

But my question might have been a little confusing.
As a follow-up, how can load and access data provided in arbitraty yaml or
json file with lua filter? Is there any helper function for that, or I
should just use simple `open` or something ... ?
I am looking at lua filters part in pandoc docs; example: "Replacing
placeholders with their metadata value;" which kinda similar to my case,
but here are just flat values. I would like to specify a filepath to yaml
file with actual definitions.

@ 2020-09-25 13:06           ` BPJ
       [not found]             ` <CADAJKhBkrFo1pT6UWE6qu=aAaOoMsxvNPXwHGiGoauyF-2XPnw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2020-09-25 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This function is a hack which takes a file name, reads the file, makes sure
as well as it can that Pandoc will see the text as a YAML block, parses the
text with pandoc and returns the metadata of the result.

``````lua
local function load_yaml (file_name)
  local file = assert(io.open(file_name))
  local text = assert(file:read('a'))
  file:close()
  -- remove leading/trailing whitespace and existing delimiters
  text = text:gsub('^%s+',"")
    :gsub('%s+$',"")
    :gsub('^%-%-%-',"")
    :gsub('%-%-%-$',"")
    :gsub('%.%.%.$',"")
  -- insert delimiters
  text = "---\n" .. text .. "\n---\n"
  -- parse the YAML
  return pandoc.read(text, 'markdown').meta
end
``````

Note that this returns a metadata object, not a plain data data structure.
You will need another function to convert the metadata into a plain data
structure:

``````lua
-- Turn Pandoc metadata into "plain" data:
-- a table for Meta, MetaList, MetaMap;
-- stringify all other elements;
-- return anything else as-is.
-- Either the whole metadata or a metadata item works.
local meta_to_data
do
  meta_to_data = function (meta)
    if 'table' == type(meta) then
      local tag = meta.tag
      if not(tag) or 'Meta' == tag or 'MetaList' == tag or 'MetaMap' == tag
then
        local data = {}
        for k,v in pairs(meta) do
          data[k] = meta_to_data(v)
        end
        return data
      else
        return pandoc.utils.stringify(meta)
      end
    else
      return meta
    end
  end
end
``````

Note:
(1) pandoc.utils.stringify doesn't handle block content very well.
(2) I just rewrote meta_to_data from memory but it should work OK.

--
Better --help|less than helpless

Den fre 25 sep. 2020 13:37krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <krulis.tomas.tk-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>

@ 2020-09-25 17:23               ` krulis....-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org