* How to control indentation of lists in docx with Pandoc?
@ 2020-08-11  8:09 Mikhail Matrosov
       [not found] ` <575de665-9241-4c1b-86a2-a20c5fd4dd7bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mikhail Matrosov @ 2020-08-11  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I convert AsciiDoc to Word via DocBook. The db->docx conversion is done
with Pandoc and is the most interesting.

I provide a reference file with --reference-doc. I specified indentation
for the Body Text style in the reference file. Now text is indented. But
lists are not.

While digging through the contents of the generated docx I discovered that
you cannot control indentation of list items directly. Instead, you specify
numPr/numId. From document.xml:

    <w:p>
      <w:pPr>
        <w:numPr>
          <w:ilvl w:val="0"/>
          <w:numId w:val="1002"/>
        </w:numPr>
      </w:pPr>
      <w:r>
        <w:t xml:space="preserve">This is the list</w:t>
      </w:r>
    </w:p>

There is a corresponding definition in numbering.xml:

  <w:num w:numId="1002">
    <w:abstractNumId w:val="99401"/>
  </w:num>

And there is the definition of w:abstractNum in the same file:

  <w:abstractNum w:abstractNumId="99401">
    <w:multiLevelType w:val="multilevel"/>
    <w:lvl w:ilvl="0">
      <w:pPr>
        <w:ind w:left="480" w:hanging="480"/>
      </w:pPr>
    </w:lvl>

Here we finally have the indentation. If I edit it here in the generated
docx, it works, I can see how the lists are indented.

But how do I do this in the reference docx? I don't even see this strange
w:abstractNumId="99401" in it. And if I add it, it gets overwritten.

* Re: How to control indentation of lists in docx with Pandoc?
@ 2020-08-11  9:01 ` Anton Shepelev
       [not found]   ` <20200811120121.958dff2b6a07c4537e6f399b-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
       [not found] ` <575de665-9241-4c1b-86a2-a20c5fd4dd7bn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Anton Shepelev @ 2020-08-11  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Mikhail Matrosov:

> I  convert  AsciiDoc  to  Word  via  DocBook.  The
> db->docx conversion is done with Pandoc and is the
> most interesting.
>
> I provide a reference file with --reference-doc. I
> specified indentation for the Body Text  style  in
> the  reference  file.  Now  text  is indented. But
> lists are not.
>
> While digging through the contents of the generat-
> ed  docx  I discovered that you cannot control in-
> dentation of list items directly. [...]

I have the same problem, but did not dig into it  so
deep.  Thanks for the research.

My  problem  has been discussed here in a thread ti-
tled:

   Adjusting the indentation of nested numbered lists in docx
   ( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pandoc-discuss/F9MaKcb5xZo )

where the experts told be the  indentation  is  cur-
rently  hardcoded(!).  I created a Github issue with
some proposals of how to fix it (in terms of outward
behavoir, not implementation):

   Support customisable indentation of nested lists in .docx output
   ( https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/6586 )

I far as I understand, it is somewhat hard to do and
requires extra coupling between the  general  pandoc
engine and the DOCX renderer. Yet is not a reason to
leave the indentation hardcoded.

A similar difficulty arises when putting code blocks
and  lists  inside  definitions.   If the definition
style has an indent, the code and  lists  are  still
unindented, which is of course unintended.

--
Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.

@ 2020-08-11  9:09   ` Tomáš Kruliš
From: Tomáš Kruliš @ 2020-08-11  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Have you tryed to create a style only for lists? If you would assign it as
a `fenced_div`, it could work.

Look at user manual, part about "Custom styles."

@ 2020-08-11 13:09     ` Mikhail Matrosov
From: Mikhail Matrosov @ 2020-08-11 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss