When you say preserve, do you mean you want to see the `>` characters? It won't be difficult to do that, but I'm afraid it is an arbitrary expectation on how much markdown you want to see in the plain text output. (should the `-` for lists and `>` for blockquote be considered as plaintext? If so, every markdown syntax should be considered as plaintext, or else how should you draw the boundary? Moreoever, some people do think markdown *is* plaintext, and people often say markdown won the plaintext war, where markdown becomes the de facto standard for plain text.) Now in your case where you want to have a custom "markdown variant" that more things becomes plaintext while preserving some of the markdown extensions, I guess you may try to turn off most of the markdown extensions that you don't need (see the manual/user guide if you don't know what I mean, e.g. `-t markdown-grid_table...`). -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/8e1e0a64-7e87-4dbd-b669-0b55854fe110%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.