From: Pranesh Prakash <the.solipsist-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss <pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Hiding TeX headers from HTML output
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 03:48:52 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

Goodness gracious me!  It's all worked out.  I started using `-H` for
including the tex files some years ago not to avoid using
`header-includes`, but because I couldn't get in-file `headers-include` to
work properly.  It probably wasn't working correctly back then because I
hadn't used ```{=latex}.  But now, finally, this worked, when placed in the
in-file YAML metadata block:
```
header-includes: |
  ```{=latex}
  \usepackage{microtype,parskip,bookmark,setspace,xurl,secdot}
  \setlength{\parskip}{9pt plus1pt}
  \setlength{\parindent}{1.5em}
  \usepackage[hang,bottom,multiple]{footmisc}
  \setlength{\footnotesep}{3mm}
  ```
```

Thanks so much John!

I think eventually I will try to learn a bit of Lua to write a filter for
this, since it's a bit ungainly to keep copy-pasting this snippet into each
document I write.

One work-around (I think, if that's the right word), which seems to work
for me:

Create a latex-headers.md with the above `header-includes` YAML metadata,
and include it as an input file (from being "markdown") in addition to your
main file.  Then it seems to (a) get parsed as markdown, (b) recognized as
`headers-includes` metadata, (c) results in the LaTeX being used to create
PDFs, but not showing up in the HTML.

And thank you so much for the defaults system. It's a game-changer for the
coding-challenged amongst us.