* auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
@ 2019-05-21  8:52 Mehran Baghi
       [not found] ` <8f31ab60-ab45-4201-bac1-c420438b7b0a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mehran Baghi @ 2019-05-21  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The auto_identifiers extension replaces all spaces to hyphens.

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#headings-and-sections

I need it to replace them to underscores to keep my website urls uniform.
I have searched the github repo and couldn't find the extension file to fix
it myself.
Is it Extensions.hs ? How can I fix it?

* Re: auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
       [not found] ` <8f31ab60-ab45-4201-bac1-c420438b7b0a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-21 16:40   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <m24l5nrc9z.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-05-21 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehran Baghi, pandoc-discuss

The easiest approach would be to use a lua filter to
modify the identifiers added by auto_identifiers.
Then you don't need to modify the Haskell code.

See the documentation on the website for lua filters.
It would be a few lines.

Mehran Baghi <1mehranbaghi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> The auto_identifiers extension replaces all spaces to hyphens.
>
> https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#headings-and-sections
>
> I need it to replace them to underscores to keep my website urls uniform.
> I have searched the github repo and couldn't find the extension file to fix
> it myself.
> Is it Extensions.hs ? How can I fix it?
>
> --

* Re: auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
       [not found]     ` <m24l5nrc9z.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-21 17:41       ` Mehran Baghi
       [not found]         ` <962ba188-1047-467d-9af6-6f0f30242aa1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mehran Baghi @ 2019-05-21 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thank you Dr. MacFarlane.

The problem with writing a filter to replace (-)s to (_)s is you wouldn't
know
whether the hyphen was a space and auto_identifiers turned it to a hyphen,
or it was a hyphen in the first place.

Is there any other options?
I don't know any haskell yet, but I guess in this case it would be as easy
as
changing a character (-) -> (_). I just don't know where to look.

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 9:11:14 PM UTC+4:30, John MacFarlane wrote:

> The easiest approach would be to use a lua filter to
> modify the identifiers added by auto_identifiers.
> Then you don't need to modify the Haskell code.
>
> See the documentation on the website for lua filters.
> It would be a few lines.
>
> Mehran Baghi <1mehra...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org <javascript:>> writes:
>
> > The auto_identifiers extension replaces all spaces to hyphens.
> >
> > https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#headings-and-sections
> >
> > I need it to replace them to underscores to keep my website urls
> uniform.
> > I have searched the github repo and couldn't find the extension file to
> fix
> > it myself.
> > Is it Extensions.hs ? How can I fix it?
> >
> > --
> <javascript:>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/8f31ab60-ab45-4201-bac1-c420438b7b0a%40googlegroups.com.

* Re: auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
       [not found]         ` <962ba188-1047-467d-9af6-6f0f30242aa1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-21 19:57           ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]             ` <87tvdnmvh6.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2019-05-21 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Mehran Baghi writes:

> Thank you Dr. MacFarlane.
>
> The problem with writing a filter to replace (-)s to (_)s is you wouldn't
> know
> whether the hyphen was a space and auto_identifiers turned it to a hyphen,
> or it was a hyphen in the first place.
>
> Is there any other options?
> I don't know any haskell yet, but I guess in this case it would be as easy
> as
> changing a character (-) -> (_). I just don't know where to look.

One could go the opposite direction and use a Lua filter to create the
identifiers yourself. Below is an example that, for headers headers
"Hello, World" and "non-negotiable", creates identifiers "hello_world"
and "non-negotiable", respectively.

    string.uc_lower = (require 'text').lower

    function Header (h)
      -- do nothing if the identifier is already set
      if h.identifier ~= '' then return nil end

      h.identifier = pandoc.utils.stringify(h)
        :lower()
        :gsub('[^%w%s%-]', '')
        :gsub('%s', '_')
      return h
    end

See <https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/manual.html#6.4.1> for more
information on pattern matching in Lua.

HTH,

Albert

* Re: auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
       [not found]         ` <962ba188-1047-467d-9af6-6f0f30242aa1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-21 19:57           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-05-21 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehran Baghi, pandoc-discuss

> The problem with writing a filter to replace (-)s to (_)s is you wouldn't
> know
> whether the hyphen was a space and auto_identifiers turned it to a hyphen,
> or it was a hyphen in the first place.

Well, then, you could disable auto_identifiers and
have the lua filter add the identifiers, based on
the heading contents, using a scheme of your own choosing.

In the lua filter, use pandoc.utils.stringify to
convert the heading contents to a string.

I don't want to discourage learning Haskell, but
maintaining your own fork of an open-source project
can be a pain. Easier to use filters.

* Re: auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
       [not found]         ` <962ba188-1047-467d-9af6-6f0f30242aa1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-22  0:25           ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]             ` <36ff6fa9-1f16-4af9-906a-b10a070fffff-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2019-05-22  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Why would you want to know that hyphen came from a space or an actual hyphen in the first place? It is supposed to be destructive (I.e. not one one one corresponding.)

And I agree if you want to have full control on the generation process, probably you should either write your own filter or program or write it manually.

* Re: auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
       [not found]             ` <87tvdnmvh6.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-03  6:49               ` Mehran Baghi
From: Mehran Baghi @ 2019-06-03  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This worked perfectly. I don't know how to thank you Mr. Krewinkel.
I gave you credit in my code:

https://gitlab.com/hott_for_cools/book/blob/master/builder/auto_identifiers_underscore.lua

Thank you again. (and sorry for delayed reply)

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 12:27:50 AM UTC+4:30, Albert Krewinkel wrote:

> One could go the opposite direction and use a Lua filter to create the
> identifiers yourself. Below is an example that, for headers headers
> "Hello, World" and "non-negotiable", creates identifiers "hello_world"
> and "non-negotiable", respectively.
>
>     string.uc_lower = (require 'text').lower
>
>     function Header (h)
>       -- do nothing if the identifier is already set
>       if h.identifier ~= '' then return nil end
>
>       h.identifier = pandoc.utils.stringify(h)
>         :lower()
>         :gsub('[^%w%s%-]', '')
>         :gsub('%s', '_')
>       return h
>     end
>
> See <https://www.lua.org/manual/5.3/manual.html#6.4.1> for more
> information on pattern matching in Lua.
>
> HTH,
>
> Albert

* Re: auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
       [not found]             ` <36ff6fa9-1f16-4af9-906a-b10a070fffff-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-03  7:27               ` Mehran Baghi
       [not found]                 ` <4f10048a-4a33-4951-a523-470a55d9a24e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mehran Baghi @ 2019-06-03  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Here is an example:

Sometimes hyphens have semantic significance:
"A well-fed pet" -> auto_identifiers -> a-well-fed-pet -> [ filter that
turns (-) into (_) ] -> a_well_fed_pet
While it should be "a_well-fed_pet"

Underlines are a better replacement for spaces. I wish that was the default
output of auto_identifiers.

Anyway, Albert's code above solves the problem.

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 4:55:18 AM UTC+4:30, Kolen Cheung wrote:

> Why would you want to know that hyphen came from a space or an actual
> hyphen in the first place? It is supposed to be destructive (I.e. not one
> one one corresponding.)
>
> And I agree if you want to have full control on the generation process,
> probably you should either write your own filter or program or write it
> manually.

* Re: auto_identifiers (-) -> (_)
       [not found]                 ` <4f10048a-4a33-4951-a523-470a55d9a24e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-06-03  9:04                   ` BPJ
       [not found]                     ` <CADAJKhBrk5XiWWk-ihu2t1=kM8CfUB9mhxqNSGcceZXtwUVWnw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: BPJ @ 2019-06-03  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The English spelling conventions for when you write compound words with a
hyphen, with a space or with neither a hyphen nor a space are totally
arbitrary (you have to learn them on a word-by-word basis) and the
difference seldom affects meaning, and when it does affect meaning, e.g. in
_black bird_ vs. _blackbird_ the compound is usually written as one word.
Thus it hardly matters whether you use underscores or hyphens in
identifiers, and in most programming languages you have no choice: you have
to use underscores or write as one word. In TeX labels it is the other way
around: you have to use hyphens, and since Pandoc auto-identifiers need to
work as TeX labels hyphens is rightly the default. The reason hyphens are
the norm in HTML identifiers is probably that underscores are unfamiliar to
non-programmers, many of whom wouldn't even know how to type them.

Den mån 3 juni 2019 09:27Mehran Baghi <1mehranbaghi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> Here is an example:
>
> Sometimes hyphens have semantic significance:
> "A well-fed pet" -> auto_identifiers -> a-well-fed-pet -> [ filter that
> turns (-) into (_) ] -> a_well_fed_pet
> While it should be "a_well-fed_pet"
>
> Underlines are a better replacement for spaces. I wish that was the default
> output of auto_identifiers.
>
> Anyway, Albert's code above solves the problem.
>
> On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 4:55:18 AM UTC+4:30, Kolen Cheung wrote:
>>
>> Why would you want to know that hyphen came from a space or an actual
>> hyphen in the first place? It is supposed to be destructive (I.e. not one
>> one one corresponding.)
>>
>> And I agree if you want to have full control on the generation process,
>> probably you should either write your own filter or program or write it
>> manually.
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4f10048a-4a33-4951-a523-470a55d9a24e%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/4f10048a-4a33-4951-a523-470a55d9a24e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>