(In resonse to a private email) Also note that by using GFM, it doesn't "fix anything". If my guess is correct, it is because the GFM reader doesn't parse the math equation and hence leaving it as is. But, if you math equation contains anything that GFM parses (any markdown syntax), then you won't get a verbatim output in the LaTeX format. In general, just embrace what the parser do (changing `$...$` to `\(...\)`). This is the recommended way to do things in LaTeX. We aren't targetting TeX but LaTeX, and unless you really want TeX primitives, stick with the LaTeX conventions and recommendations. On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 7:56:54 AM UTC-7, Gandalf Saxe wrote: > Manual says: > > > > > > TeX math will be printed in all output formats. How it is rendered depends on the output format:Markdown, LaTeX, Emacs Org mode, ConTeXt, ZimWikiIt will appear verbatim between $ characters. > > > However converting inline math `$...$` from markdown to LaTeX, converts it to `\(...\)` syntax. Am I misunderstanding the manual or should this be updated? > > > Example .md input: > `This is a simple inline $e=mc^2$  math.` > > > Example command: > `pandoc test.md -o test.tex` > > > Example .tex output: > `This is a simple inline \(e=mc^2\) math.` -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To post to this group, send email to pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/90db846b-e36a-4794-97d6-9df3b7c02d69%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.