* Reference links to numbered headers of README.md not work in converted formats
@ 2017-07-31 10:07 CesarJ M
       [not found] ` <d38c609f-a5c6-4b57-8006-536a977def43-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CesarJ M @ 2017-07-31 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I have a README.md in a github repository.

I number the headers using  my own numbers, and links to these headers, as
example:

# 1 MyTitle

# 2 Other Title

[MyLinkTitle1](#1-title-1)

Then, when I convert this file (by example to docx format), and open it,
the MyLinkTitle1 is not working.

In the documentation it is said that I need to write the reference as:
[MyTitle](#mytitle)

But, if we use this form in github repository, the link is not working in
github web.

How do I fix this problem?

Regards,

* Re: Reference links to numbered headers of README.md not work in converted formats
       [not found] ` <d38c609f-a5c6-4b57-8006-536a977def43-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-07-31 10:40   ` CesarJ M
       [not found]     ` <a5021369-5323-4cdc-ab5a-ecac3b78983f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CesarJ M @ 2017-07-31 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Correct the message:

I number the headers using  my own numbers, and links to these headers, as
example:

# 1 MyTitle

# 2 Other Title

[MyLinkTitle](#1-mytitle)

Then, when I convert this file (by example to docx format), and open it,
the MyLinkTitle is not working.

@ 2017-07-31 17:46       ` Melroch
       [not found]         ` <CADAJKhD_x=xv55RC=+-1hoLM38bUXsQgTXQPEg7nGto4hZrC3g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Melroch @ 2017-07-31 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

You can either keep a separate version of the file in Pandoc Markdown with
manually added GitHub style ids, which Pandoc will pick up, e.g. as
`doc/readme.pdc` and convert it to GitHub Markdown when you make changes:

    # 1. Description {#1-description}

or add an anchor tag with a pandoc-style id as value of the `name` attribute

    # <a name="description">1. Description</a>

which for some reason will be preserved by the GitHub sanitizer and let you
use `#description` as URL in links. The latter method looks uglier when
unrendered but has the advantage that you can have only one version of the
file which looks good when rendered on GitHub.

@ 2017-08-01  7:22           ` CesarJ M
       [not found]             ` <74beb961-303e-49af-86d9-04193ca2b8b3-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CesarJ M @ 2017-08-01  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'll try to use anchor tags, but

There is no other solution?

Why the text of the reference headers is modified removing the first 1.?

Regards

@ 2017-08-01  8:23               ` CesarJ M
       [not found]                 ` <5b0bae39-4471-4d1f-a304-c3ac1c49c60b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CesarJ M @ 2017-08-01  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The workaround using anchor tags:
# <a name="1-title"></a>1. Title
[1. Title](#1-title)

But this is very ugly solution

@ 2017-08-01  9:23                   ` CesarJ M
       [not found]                     ` <9f9f5fed-7f09-494f-b69a-b04915d99333-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CesarJ M @ 2017-08-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This not working when it convert to docx, pdf or odt

@ 2017-08-01 12:44                       ` Melroch
From: Melroch @ 2017-08-01 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That's strange. As far as I know Pandoc's automatic targets are created
anyway. At least they are when converting to HTML or LaTeX. I'm on holiday
so away from any computer with a real Pandoc install but I used the online
demo to convert an equivalent example and it seems that when converting to
OpenDocument no anchors for headings are created. I tried with a span and a
Pandoc heading id too, without any change in the results.

@ 2017-08-01 19:41               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20170801194100.GB29242-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-08-01 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

See
the manual under "Extension: auto_identifiers" and also
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2821

+++ CesarJ M [Aug 01 17 00:22 ]:

@ 2017-08-02  8:08                   ` CesarJ M
       [not found]                     ` <108edc7f-37e3-4764-944d-7689152df990-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CesarJ M @ 2017-08-02  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've been doing several tests:

The GitHub formas does (from github.com), to resolve links:
- It downcases the header string
- remove anything that is not a letter, number, space or hyphen
- changes any space to a hyphen.
- If that is not unique, add "-1", "-2", "-3",... to make it unique

Using the markdown_github, trying to convert to html, convert to follow:
Header:
<h1 id="title">1. Title</h1> (fail, must be id="1-title")
Link:

Using --toc option, also do the same:
<ul>
</ul>

Seeing a odt converted file, the title destination (right-click in the
link, modify hyperlink, destination in the document), appear as "1.1.
Title".

I try to disable the auto_identifiers extension
(markdown_github-auto_identifiers) but not work:
<ul>
</ul>

<h1>1. Title</h1>

Disabling not workaround the problem :-(

@ 2017-08-02 13:49                       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                         ` <20170802134922.GB38349-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-08-02 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Please see the issue I linked to, and comment if you think
any information on GitHub's algorithm is missing there.

+++ CesarJ M [Aug 02 17 01:08 ]:

@ 2017-08-03 11:05                           ` CesarJ M
       [not found]                             ` <70c54296-7cf7-4a57-ad6b-e7d18edf1ae7-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: CesarJ M @ 2017-08-03 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Go to issue and explain all needed info.

But, exist a possible workaround to deal with this?

@ 2017-08-11 16:18                               ` CesarJ M
From: CesarJ M @ 2017-08-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss