* Suggestion: Support CriticMarkup
@ 2013-06-07 18:18 jakov
       [not found] ` <9e2f098f-a5e9-4bda-836e-5af166699dfb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: jakov @ 2013-06-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

"CriticMarkup is a way for authors and editors to track changes to
documents in plain text." http://criticmarkup.com/

There are five types of Critic marks:

   - Addition {++ ++}
   - Deletion {-- --}
   - Substitution {~~ ~> ~~}
   - Comment {>> <<}
   - Highlight {== ==}{>> <<}

I think that these markups could be added to pandoc as an "additional
layer", that is, it could be "ignored" during parsing, but kept in mind
when adding the element to the document. For the PDF-output it would be the
best to have real PDF-comments (what you get when using the virtual
textmarker in a PDF file.

Of course, the deltetions and additions don't make a lot of sense to be in
the same output file, so one should be able to opt for either "before" or
"after" parsing. In the first the additions are ignored and in the second
the deletions are ignored during parsing. The result would be two PDF
versions for comparison.

* Re: Suggestion: Support CriticMarkup
       [not found] ` <9e2f098f-a5e9-4bda-836e-5af166699dfb-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-07 19:58   ` Dirk Laurie
       [not found]     ` <CABcj=tnC31fuYJdP62X2=rUTK9ezTHW6GiCfSM9UGUKyTUhGBg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Dirk Laurie @ 2013-06-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

2013/6/7 jakov <antikorpo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
> "CriticMarkup is a way for authors and editors to track changes to documents
> in plain text." http://criticmarkup.com/

> I think that these markups could be added to pandoc as an "additional
> layer", that is, it could be "ignored" during parsing, but kept in mind when
> adding the element to the document. For the PDF-output it would be the best
> to have real PDF-comments (what you get when using the virtual textmarker in
> a PDF file.

We discussed this a couple of months ago. The main conclusions were:

1. There is no point in rendering either the `before` or `after`
   document: it is easier to make the editor do that before Pandoc
   is invoked.
2. There is some point in rendering the `during` document, i.e. Pandoc
   might format the to-be-deleted, to-be-changed portions etc.
3. It is however technically undoable, since CriticMarkup might
   for example run two paragraphs into one, which sits badly with
   Pandoc's abstractions.

@ 2013-06-14 14:55       ` jakov
From: jakov @ 2013-06-14 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> 1. There is no point in rendering either the `before` or `after`
>    document: it is easier to make the editor do that before Pandoc
>    is invoked.

2. There is some point in rendering the `during` document, i.e. Pandoc
>    might format the to-be-deleted, to-be-changed portions etc.

3. It is however technically undoable, since CriticMarkup might
>    for example run two paragraphs into one, which sits badly with
>    Pandoc's abstractions.

I understand that parsing a special "during" document is difficult.
However, i think that there *is* a point in rendering `before` and `after`:
Marking only in the source file would benefit the workflow.

In comparison to e.g. MsWord, you can't take notes (i.e. critic markup) or
mark changes in pandoc as they get lost in the parsing process. It would be
undoably tedious to mark the resulting PDF or HTML manually. An alternative
to the "during" document would be to display the "before" and "after"
documents side by side (which would be the job of the respective PDF viewer
or webbrowser).

@ 2014-06-23 17:33       ` Adam Rice
       [not found]         ` <346c7a6b-1a93-4637-96ff-57b1607abf71-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Adam Rice @ 2014-06-23 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: dirk.laurie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

A limited version of CriticMarkup wouldn't create the overlapping-markup
problem: one with just the highlights and comments. It would actually be
useful to me to be able to write in Markdown + CriticMarkup and export to
(say) .docx files with commentary intact, even without the
insertion/deletion tracking.

@ 2014-06-24 22:00           ` Jonathan Clark
       [not found]             ` <fb4a2ebe-3963-4873-a053-c022abeeffae-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonathan Clark @ 2014-06-24 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: dirk.laurie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

On Monday, 23 June 2014 18:33:19 UTC+1, Adam Rice wrote:

> A limited version of CriticMarkup wouldn't create the overlapping-markup
> problem: one with just the highlights and comments. It would actually be
> useful to me to be able to write in Markdown + CriticMarkup and export to
> (say) .docx files with commentary intact, even without the
> insertion/deletion tracking.

I agree with Adam Rice. Even minimally having comments coming through from
Critic to Word/PDF/HTML would be helpful in a number of my workflows.

But I would prefer larger support, which is Dirk's option 2 (the 'during'
state). My workflow here is that I produce talks and I sometimes go back
and edit soon after giving the talk to mark things I should have added;
things I shouldn't have said; as well as comments that came from hearers on
different parts of it. This might be somewhat unusual, but shows that not
all documents go through track changes on the way to a final version where
all traces of the change have been removed.

@ 2014-06-25  2:08               ` Andrew Dunning
From: Andrew Dunning @ 2014-06-25  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I will add one more use case for this: it could be rather helpful for transcribing primary source texts (e.g. a handwritten letter with additions and deletions). If one really wanted to go all out with this, one would probably want to write TEI XML, but it would still cover quite a lot.

* Re: Suggestion: Support CriticMarkup
@ 2013-06-07 18:46 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-06-07 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Fri, Jun 07 2013, jakov <antikorpo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> "CriticMarkup is a way for authors and editors to track changes to
> documents in plain text." http://criticmarkup.com/

Yup, we know:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-US.#!searchin/pandoc-discuss/critic$20markup/pandoc-discuss/STbm1W4ASiU/bYfBOroTkhoJ

:-)