From: John MacFarlane <fiddlosopher-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: djot - a new light markup language
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 18:08:07 +0200	[thread overview]

> On Jul 18, 2022, at 10:55 AM, Philip Hodder <phil-jvooPmwWovGx7wk7FZxnQA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> This is very nice! At the risk of getting ahead of things:
>
> 1)  Is there scope for adding support for YAML (or equivalent) metadata?

I'm not inclined to make YAML metadata a first-class syntactic element as it is in pandoc (where it can occur anywhere in the document, and can use reference links defined in the document's body).  Instead, a document processor can decide to handle some front matter; contents of the fields could be parsed as djot, but would be treated as independent documents and parsed separately from the rest.  Not really sure.  If I did include something as standard syntax, I'd be inclined not to make it YAML, which is too complicated, but maybe a YAML subset.

> 2)  Would it be possible to add in support for Lua extensions keyed to code block attributes? For example:
>

> ``` =include
>
> foo/bar/*.djot
>
> ```

You could handle this as in pandoc, with the attribute system we already have.  For exmaple,

{include="foo/bar/*.djot"}
```
```

would define a code block with an 'include' attribute.  Your Lua filter could then look for code blocks with 'include' attributes and do whatever with them.

I'm not inclined to build the concept of Lua filters directly into the markup language. Instead, the markup language allows you to add attributes to which filters can be sensitive.  That's an approach that has worked well, I think, with pandoc.