* A little citation parsing wrinkle
@ 2022-08-05 11:48 Lyndon Drake
       [not found] ` <d41e5b70-462e-4f7b-b6b1-d2ead5b6c4ccn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Lyndon Drake @ 2022-08-05 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've noticed what I think is an unexpected parsing difference for a
citation which begins a footnote, and which is followed immediately by
punctuation. This:

[^fn7]: @Eruera1997 . Eruera's text switches freely between English and
Māori.

is treated differently from this:

[^fn7]: @Eruera1997. Eruera's text switches freely between English and
Māori.

The latter, when using citeproc and outputting to Word with the SBL style,
seems to generate a footnote inside the footnote. (The former,
unsurprisingly, leaves a space between the generated citation and the full
stop.) By comparison, a similar in-text citation followed immediately by a
full stop at the very end of a footnote is treated normally.

Lyndon

* Re: A little citation parsing wrinkle
       [not found] ` <d41e5b70-462e-4f7b-b6b1-d2ead5b6c4ccn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-08-05 18:20   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <13DD89B3-A534-4469-8256-F9690F63A725-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-08-05 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Oh, this is interesting. I can reproduce with this input:

```
---
references:
- id: Eruera1997
  author: N. Eurera
  title: "My article"
  journal: "My journal"
  type: journal-article
  volume: 55
  date: 1997

see[^fn7]
see[^fn8]

[^fn7]: @Eruera1997 . Eruera's text switches freely between English and Māori.

[^fn8]: @Eruera1997. Eruera's text switches freely between English and Māori.

```

Output with pandoc test.md -C -t plain:

```
see[1] see[2]

[1] 1 . Eruera’s text switches freely between English and Māori.

[2]
1.  Eruera’s text switches freely between English and Māori.
```

What's happening here is that the `@Eurera1997` in fn8 is being interpreted as an example list, which causes the `@Eurera1997` in fn7 to be interpreted as a reference to that example list item.

Obviously not what you want. You can defeat this by putting a backslash before the period.

@ 2022-08-05 20:34       ` Lyndon Drake
From: Lyndon Drake @ 2022-08-05 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss