* Omitting horizontal lines from pandoc output
@ 2019-05-07 16:32 Louis Smith
       [not found] ` <3cc8d5e2-bea9-4d6e-ba3a-1b156a45a497-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Louis Smith @ 2019-05-07 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Disclaimer:
I am sorry if this has been covered somewhere else; I haven't yet found it,
but would appreciate a pointer in the right direction if there is one. I'm
also relatively new to both pandoc and markdown. I'm trying to make
reveal.js slides from markdown and am experiencing limited but encouraging
success.

I am trying to make a slide that has two columns of listed text using
pandoc markdown to reveal.js slides (the slide is an acknowledgements
slide, which in my field is usually done as a two column list). The way
I've been trying to do this is to use a simple markdown table, which does
put the text in the right spots but also puts horizontal rules between each
line. I've searched for ways to indicate to markdown that it should not
draw these lines, but I've not been able to find anything so far.

If I were better at CSS perhaps I could have written some theme that
doesn't render the horizontal rules into tables, but to be honest I would
rather such rules exist in other tables, just not the 'table' I'm trying to
make my acknowledgements slide from.

I understand that I could also make the acknowledgements as an SVG (or
whatever) and import it as an image, but it seemed like I might just be
missing something about how pandoc-markdown tables work.

Bonus points: if there's a way to change the font size JUST for this one
table, or even for tabular content in general, that would also be helpful
(and is also something I have not yet found in the manual). I have found
how to change font sizes at different hierarchical levels, but I don't want
to change them elsewhere in the document; just in this table.

* Re: Omitting horizontal lines from pandoc output
       [not found] ` <3cc8d5e2-bea9-4d6e-ba3a-1b156a45a497-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-07 18:55   ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2019-05-07 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 5/7/19 12:32 PM, Louis Smith wrote:

> I am trying to make a slide that has two columns of listed text using
> pandoc markdown to reveal.js slides (the slide is an acknowledgements
> slide, which in my field is usually done as a two column list). The way
> I've been trying to do this is to use a simple markdown table, which
> does put the text in the right spots but also puts horizontal rules
> between each line. I've searched for ways to indicate to markdown that
> it should not draw these lines, but I've not been able to find anything
> so far.
>
> If I were better at CSS perhaps I could have written some theme that
> doesn't render the horizontal rules into tables, but to be honest I
> would rather such rules exist in other tables, just not the 'table' I'm
> trying to make my acknowledgements slide from.
>
> I understand that I could also make the acknowledgements as an SVG (or
> whatever) and import it as an image, but it seemed like I might just be
> missing something about how pandoc-markdown tables work.
>
> Bonus points: if there's a way to change the font size JUST for this one
> table, or even for tabular content in general, that would also be
> helpful (and is also something I have not yet found in the manual). I
> have found how to change font sizes at different hierarchical levels,
> but I don't want to change them elsewhere in the document; just in this
> table.

Markdown won't have any of this - it's all presentation.  However, you
can tell it about the presentation.

Markdown:
```
:::{.nolines}
|Markdown|Table|
|--------|-----|
:::
```

CSS:
```
.nolines table {
     border-collapse: collapse;
     font-size: 120%	// Increases font size by 20%, in this table.
}
.nolines table th, .nolines table td {
     border: 0px;
}
```

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

@ 2019-05-07 22:10   ` Louis Smith
       [not found]     ` <4adc68d9-22a3-42e5-a547-d606d40dd3a4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Louis Smith @ 2019-05-07 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Daniel,

What you suggested worked essentially perfectly. I guess I really didn't
understand the part of the manual discussing fenced sections with custom
CSS, though to be honest I wouldn't have known what CSS to write to obtain
this effect anyway.

Thanks,
Louis

@ 2019-05-08 21:34       ` Daniel Staal
From: Daniel Staal @ 2019-05-08 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 5/7/19 6:10 PM, Louis Smith wrote:
> What you suggested worked essentially perfectly. I guess I really didn't
> understand the part of the manual discussing fenced sections with custom
> CSS, though to be honest I wouldn't have known what CSS to write to
> obtain this effect anyway.

If you're using Pandoc to create like this, it'd be worth learning a bit
of CSS.  While CSS can be complex and subtle at times, a few basics will
let you do things like this pretty quickly: All I did was attach a named
class to a div around the table in Markdown, then used CSS to apply some
basic styles to tables inside a div with that named class.  A couple of
hours learning CSS would get you this far.

You don't need to learn how to create whole new templates and styles,
just get a handle on the basics.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.