* What happens when the -t option is different from the file extension after -o
@ 2023-03-29 11:39 George Emad
       [not found] ` <51f74822-bf97-46c2-864d-1ba0183086e6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: George Emad @ 2023-03-29 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,
I am converting some markdown files to a pdf, but I am using a lot of CSS
for formatting,

I found out that if I am using:

*--toc --from=gfm -t html5  -o myfile.pdf*

It actually do keep the css formatting and doesn't convert it to latex
(similar results to opening it in chrome and printing it, with very minor
changes) with one additional bug, with the "TOC table of content"

It generate a html table of content inside the pdf, so it's broken when you
try to click it,
as it refers to html section <mypag.html#theSection>

I have two questions:
1) Is this a normal use case when I use different file extension than the
format after -t ?
2) How can I fix this bug with the TOC ?

I am pretty new to pandoc, and tried to find the answer in the
documentations and on the mailing list archive, will really appreciate your
help.

Regards,
George

* Re: What happens when the -t option is different from the file extension after -o
       [not found] ` <51f74822-bf97-46c2-864d-1ba0183086e6n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-03-29 11:55   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87tty3yco7.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2023-03-29 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi George,

George Emad <engr.georgeemad-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> 1) Is this a normal use case when I use different file extension than
> the format after -t ?

Absolutely. Pandoc supports multiple PDF engines, and both the `-t` and
`--pdf-engine` parameters are taken into account when deciding which
format and which engine should be used. If the `--pdf-engine` parameter
is given, then pandoc uses that engine together with the appropriate
output format; if `-t`/`--to` is given then a engine is picket.

Here's the list of formats and suitable engines:

  - latex: pdflatex, lualatex, xelatex, latexmk, tectonic
  - html: wkhtmltopdf, weasyprint, pagedjs, prince
  - context: context
  - ms: pdfroff
  - typst: typst

The first engine for each format is the default engine. So by using `-t`
you triggered PDF generation through wkhtmltopdf, which, it appears, is
installed on your system.

> 2) How can I fix this bug with the TOC ?

My recommendation would be to try one of the alternative engines. If
that doesn't work, please file a bug report in the issue tracker at
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2023-03-29 13:28       ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found]         ` <CAEe_xxg8XZST4fSrEM6j-E=N1o7gzspsQ=VC5G_RCdZXA3NjBA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-03-29 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

George,

If you set pandoc's --verbose flag then you get a lot of detailed output,
including the wkhtmltopdf command line and the generated HTML (that is
passed to wkhtmltopdf).

If you'd be happy to share any or all of this output (or send it to me
directly), I'd be happy to take a look and see whether anything obvious is
going on.

Cheers,
William

@ 2023-03-30  8:23       ` George Emad
       [not found]         ` <c09063fb-6540-4e79-ba8b-904e3eed4486n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: George Emad @ 2023-03-30  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello Albert,

Thanks for your reply, trying weasyprint, solved the problem of the TOC, it
introduced some other formatting differences, as I was adapting everything
to wkhtmltopdf,
Thanks for your suggestion will try to analyze the problem with wkhtmltopdf
tho and open a issue on their repo instead of pandoc then.

Regards,
George.

@ 2023-03-30  8:23           ` George Emad
       [not found]             ` <861a1c66-4b78-40ae-9e89-8856ac1a6847n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: George Emad @ 2023-03-30  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello William,
Thanks you for your reply,

I can't share the whole output as it includes the whole document, but using
the verbose option it proved my theory,
that it do print the html file after generating it, thanks for the tip.

no obvious error messages and the here is the command passed to wkhtmltopdf
``` wkhtmltopdf "--margin-bottom" "1.2in" "--margin-top" "1.25in"
"--margin-right" "1.25in" "--margin-left" "1.25in"
"--enable-local-file-access" "./html2pdf1272404-0.html"
"./html2pdf1272404-1.pdf"
then the TOC in the html is like so
 ```
<nav id="TOC" role="doc-toc">
<ul>
<ul>
.
.
.
</ul></li>
</ul>
</nav>
```

then the reset of the pdf and the last couple of lines are

```
Printing pages (2/2)
Done
```

I am not sure if that enough for analysis, but I will also try to analyze
it later, will go with weasyprint for now.

Regards,
George

@ 2023-03-30  8:34               ` 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss
From: 'William Lupton' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-03-30  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks. The one thing that confuses me is that you mentioned that the ToC
in the HTML includes things like this:

This looks good (and is what I'd expect), but in your original message you
mentioned this:

<mypag.html#theSection>

Are you getting _both_ of these?

@ 2023-03-30  9:18           ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]             ` <87pm8qy4nx.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2023-03-30  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

George Emad <engr.georgeemad-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Thanks for your suggestion will try to analyze the problem with
> wkhtmltopdf tho and open a issue on their repo instead of pandoc
> then.

This appears to be a known issue:
https://github.com/wkhtmltopdf/wkhtmltopdf/issues/2153

The man page on Ubuntu also contains this:

> ## Reduced Functionality
>
> This version of wkhtmltopdf has been compiled against a version of QT
> without the wkhtmltopdf patches. Therefore some features are missing,
> if you need these features please use the static version.
>
> Currently the list of features only supported with patch QT includes:
>
>   [...]
>   * Adding links in the generated PDF file.

You could try to download an official binary from here:
https://github.com/wkhtmltopdf/packaging/releases/0.12.6-1

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2023-03-30 12:54               ` George Emad