* New reader suggestion: BITS reader
@ 2021-11-16 16:06 Julia Diaz
       [not found] ` <c2f73f9a-e9c0-4895-ad55-3dbccbb0e103n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julia Diaz @ 2021-11-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

This one is a tricky to search for, for obvious reasons ('bits' it's
actually a very common word), so I have been unsuccessful in finding
relevant discussions. But here it is:

BITS XML, as in the book extension of JATS XML, does not seem to be
supported, in either input or output formats.

Would developing a BITS XML reader (and later a writer one) be a relevant
idea?

Thanks

* Re: New reader suggestion: BITS reader
       [not found] ` <c2f73f9a-e9c0-4895-ad55-3dbccbb0e103n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-11-17  8:06   ` Julia Diaz
       [not found]     ` <ba293262-dd97-44c7-9fd8-d2d27614e795n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Julia Diaz @ 2021-11-17  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The reason I'm proposing this is because, as part of an academic project, I
am exploring ways to develop a tool to transform BITS XML into DOCX. This
is relevant for the use case of academic book publishing, where XML
archives of previous editions need to be transformed into DOCX for authors
to work in the new edition. This is a recurrent scenario, and academic
publishers spend today considerable time and money in third party
conversions that could easily and efficiently be handled in house.

Since this is a scheduled project with time and deadlines assigned to it
(full or partial completion by September 2022 at the latest), I will
develop a version of a full or partial tool. This can take the form of new
BITS Pandoc Reader or as something else (I am exploring OxGarage as well,
and also the option of a completely standalone java tool developed from
scratch).

I would be very interested in hearing opinions about this. Any objections?
Or any rival work that has already started and that I have somehow missed?

Thanks,
Julia

@ 2021-11-17 17:52       ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]         ` <932C0BF6-1DF6-43F2-A5EC-6CBFE0439F70-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2021-11-17 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Julia,

BITS support would be nice. I've also thought about handling MECA.

If you haven't seen it yet, you might be interested in transpect, a different format conversion tool built mostly on XSLT. See https://transpect.github.io. It can handle BITS and docx as far as I know.

Another project you might like is OS-APS (https://os-aps.de). It doesn't handle your use case yet, but might in the future. (Disclosure: I contribute to that project)

Cheers,
Albert

Am 17. November 2021 09:06:32 MEZ schrieb Julia Diaz <julia.diaz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
>The reason I'm proposing this is because, as part of an academic project, I
>am exploring ways to develop a tool to transform BITS XML into DOCX. This
>is relevant for the use case of academic book publishing, where XML
>archives of previous editions need to be transformed into DOCX for authors
>to work in the new edition. This is a recurrent scenario, and academic
>publishers spend today considerable time and money in third party
>conversions that could easily and efficiently be handled in house.
>
>Since this is a scheduled project with time and deadlines assigned to it
>(full or partial completion by September 2022 at the latest), I will
>develop a version of a full or partial tool. This can take the form of new
>BITS Pandoc Reader or as something else (I am exploring OxGarage as well,
>and also the option of a completely standalone java tool developed from
>scratch).
>
>I would be very interested in hearing opinions about this. Any objections?
>Or any rival work that has already started and that I have somehow missed?
>
>Thanks,
>Julia
>
>On Tuesday, 16 November 2021 at 16:06:41 UTC Julia Diaz wrote:
>
>> This one is a tricky to search for, for obvious reasons ('bits' it's
>> actually a very common word), so I have been unsuccessful in finding
>> relevant discussions. But here it is:
>>
>> BITS XML, as in the book extension of JATS XML, does not seem to be
>> supported, in either input or output formats.
>>
>> Would developing a BITS XML reader (and later a writer one) be a relevant
>> idea?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>--

* AW: New reader suggestion: BITS reader
       [not found]         ` <932C0BF6-1DF6-43F2-A5EC-6CBFE0439F70-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-11-18  5:11           ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]             ` <14a50459cee74e2a83d030d38a9cfe97-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-11-18  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I’m also currently working a bit on BITS and I think both a Reader and a Writer would be nice to have.
Best,
Denis

Am 17. November 2021 09:06:32 MEZ schrieb Julia Diaz <julia.diaz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org<mailto:julia.diaz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>>:

@ 2021-11-18 10:28           ` Julia Diaz
From: Julia Diaz @ 2021-11-18 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Wonderful, thank you both for your input.

Albert, thanks for pointing me to transpect and OS-APS, they do ring a bell
but for some reason they weren't on my radar as of late!

Best
Julia

On Wednesday, 17 November 2021 at 17:53:07 UTC Albert Krewinkel wrote:

> Hi Julia,
>
> BITS support would be nice. I've also thought about handling MECA.
>
> If you haven't seen it yet, you might be interested in transpect, a
> different format conversion tool built mostly on XSLT. See
> https://transpect.github.io. It can handle BITS and docx as far as I know.
>
> Another project you might like is OS-APS (https://os-aps.de). It doesn't
> handle your use case yet, but might in the future. (Disclosure: I
> contribute to that project)
>
> Cheers,
> Albert
>

> Am 17. November 2021 09:06:32 MEZ schrieb Julia Diaz <julia...-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>:
>>
>> The reason I'm proposing this is because, as part of an academic project,
>> I am exploring ways to develop a tool to transform BITS XML into DOCX. This
>> is relevant for the use case of academic book publishing, where XML
>> archives of previous editions need to be transformed into DOCX for authors
>> to work in the new edition. This is a recurrent scenario, and academic
>> publishers spend today considerable time and money in third party
>> conversions that could easily and efficiently be handled in house.
>>
>> Since this is a scheduled project with time and deadlines assigned to it
>> (full or partial completion by September 2022 at the latest), I will
>> develop a version of a full or partial tool. This can take the form of new
>> BITS Pandoc Reader or as something else (I am exploring OxGarage as well,
>> and also the option of a completely standalone java tool developed from
>> scratch).
>>
>> I would be very interested in hearing opinions about this. Any
>> objections? Or any rival work that has already started and that I have
>> somehow missed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Julia
>>
>> On Tuesday, 16 November 2021 at 16:06:41 UTC Julia Diaz wrote:
>>
>>> This one is a tricky to search for, for obvious reasons ('bits' it's
>>> actually a very common word), so I have been unsuccessful in finding
>>> relevant discussions. But here it is:
>>>
>>> BITS XML, as in the book extension of JATS XML, does not seem to be
>>> supported, in either input or output formats.
>>>
>>> Would developing a BITS XML reader (and later a writer one) be a
>>> relevant idea?
>>>
>>> Thanks

* Re: AW: New reader suggestion: BITS reader
       [not found]             ` <14a50459cee74e2a83d030d38a9cfe97-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2021-11-18 18:15               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <m2ee7dfhyu.fsf-d8241O7hbXoP5tpWdHSM3tPlBySK3R6THiGdP5j34PU@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2021-11-18 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The dev version of pandoc has support for custom readers in Lua.
You could try that, using a Lua XML parser to do most of the
heavy lifting.

@ 2021-11-18 18:42                   ` Leonard Rosenthol
       [not found]                     ` <CALu=v3JPz0MJ_DC42kZomP-SH=xYv0L7fQ8Gw7obBgNW=ELgFA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Leonard Rosenthol @ 2021-11-18 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0

>The dev version of pandoc has support for custom readers in Lua.

Woohoo!   that will be a really nice feature!

Writers too at some point?

Leonard

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:15 PM John MacFarlane <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> The dev version of pandoc has support for custom readers in Lua.
> You could try that, using a Lua XML parser to do most of the
> heavy lifting.
>
> <denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> > I’m also currently working a bit on BITS and I think both a Reader and a
> Writer would be nice to have.
> > Best,
> > Denis

* AW: AW: New reader suggestion: BITS reader
@ 2021-11-18 19:03                       ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2021-11-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leonardr-bM6h3K5UM15l57MIdRCFDg, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Custom writers in lua have been there for quite some time:
https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#custom-writers

Denis

@ 2021-11-25 15:05                   ` Julia Diaz
From: Julia Diaz @ 2021-11-25 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)