Now I'm starting to understand the issue and the advantage of doing it this way. Thank you again. Joshua On Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 12:12:47 PM UTC-8 John MacFarlane wrote: > Joshua writes: > > > Thanks for such a helpful, prompt reply. I've loved pandoc for a long > time, > > but I had no idea the support was this good. You have a superb project > here. > > > > After consulting the style guides, it looks like pandoc is keeping with > the > > times and I am not. I'm still a bit confused about your response to the > > second issue, though. Suppose I type: > > Blah.^[@AugustineCityGod2008, 72.] Blah.^[Compare to the competing claim > in > > @AugustineCityGod2008, 46.] > > > > This then renders: > > [1] Augustine, *City of God*, 72. > > [2] Compare to the rather different claim in Augustine, ibid, 46. > > > > Whereas the behavior I intend: > > [1] Augustine, *City of God*, 72. > > [2] Compare to the rather different claim in ibid, 46. > > > > This is the behavior I achieved before upgrading pandoc, but I do not > > understand the directives I need to give in order to achieve it now. Or > > maybe I simply cannot. > > It's usually better just to use inline references; in a note > style they will be automatically converted to notes. > > So do this: > > Blah [@AugustineCityGod2008, 72]. Blah [Compare to the competing claim in > @AugustineCityGod2008, 46]. > > This uses regular citations, not author-in-text citations. > Not only will it give you the ibid you want, it will also allow > you to switch easily to an author-date citation style if you > wish. > > Pandoc will automatically create the notes and rearrange spacing > and punctuation. > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "pandoc-discuss" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to pandoc-discuss+unsubscribe-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFF+G/Ez6ZCGd0@public.gmane.org To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/93a51404-c046-4cbb-b27f-ba2a60283c88n%40googlegroups.com.