* Will there ever be a standard wiki-link?
@ 2019-08-21 16:08 Joseph Reagle
       [not found] ` <e7323376-2751-e4b4-4d74-14c966bb884a-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2019-08-21 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm noticing folks building wikis using markdown increasingly adopting the convention [[local link]]. However, gitit uses [local link](). Any chance one of these will be standardized or adopted by Pandoc?

* Re: Will there ever be a standard wiki-link?
       [not found] ` <e7323376-2751-e4b4-4d74-14c966bb884a-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-08-23  9:44   ` mb21
       [not found]     ` <9cbec34f-8bca-429f-8cf9-954dbeeb6a87-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2019-08-23  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Interesting... can you link to some example docs for those wikis?

@ 2019-08-23 13:19       ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]         ` <db2b6987-1e92-1e0a-6b29-d2b7265ab1cf-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2019-08-23 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 8/23/19 5:44 AM, mb21 wrote:
> Interesting... can you link to some example docs for those wikis?

I haven't been tracking it carefully, but I'm increasingly seeing references to "wiki style links" (double bracket) in wiki/notebook apps that use markdown.

Github wiki is probably the biggest driver, for example:

  https://github.com/reagle/New-Media-Culture/wiki

  https://github.com/reagle/New-Media-Culture/wiki/Home/_edit

I think Notational Velocity and its spawn are also influencing folks.

This is the recent example that prompted my email.

	https://github.com/darryllawson/sublime-notedown

And I'd like to suggest they follow the [link]() syntax of gitit, but don't know how to suggest they do so...

@ 2019-08-23 17:14           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <m2lfvjhkia.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-08-23 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

See https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2923

@ 2019-08-23 18:17               ` Joseph Reagle
       [not found]                 ` <d8b31c74-f60f-23a8-afc7-3cd2a76924c0-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2019-08-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 8/23/19 1:14 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:
> See https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2923

Ah. Didn't realize there was such an old issue. It would be nice to have a format extension...

I suppose that means it's too late for there to be a standard; my cursory glance at CommonMark didn't show any discussion of `[link]()` vs `[[link]]`.

In fact, in CommonMark:

and an empty href quote, according to HTML, is an empty URI reference, pointing to the current document -- which is different than gitit.

[1]: https://spec.commonmark.org/0.28/#example-461

@ 2019-08-23 19:17                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <yh480kmufzbsju.fsf-pgq/RBwaQ+zq8tPRBa0AtqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2019-08-23 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reagle, pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011-T1oY19WcHSwdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> writes:

> In fact, in CommonMark:

> and an empty href quote, according to HTML, is an empty URI reference, pointing to the current document -- which is different than gitit.

It's the same in pandoc.  Gitit simply treats links with empty
URLs as wikilinks -- it's a convention that requires no
new syntax.

@ 2019-08-23 22:02                       ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2019-08-23 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I think both [this syntax] and [this one][] is valid. The later might require adding a multimatkdown extension.

@ 2019-08-24 10:06   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2019-08-24 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 2019-08-21 18:08, Joseph Reagle wrote:
> I'm noticing folks building wikis using markdown increasingly adopting the convention [[local link]]. However, gitit uses [local link](). Any chance one of these will be standardized or adopted by Pandoc?

The attached Lua filter kind of does the trick if you want to generate
Markdown e.g. for GitHub wikis. It converts three different "syntaxes"
into wiki link syntax:

   Get [[...]] style wiki links in Pandoc Markdown output:

   [PAGE NAME]() becomes [[PAGE NAME]]   (Formatting is lost)

   [FORMATTED TEXT]{wiki="PAGE NAME"}
       becomes [[PAGE NAME|FORMATTED TEXT]]

   `TEXT`{.wiki} becomes [[TEXT]]        (Very fast!)

       $ pandoc --lua-filter wiki-links.lua -w gfm
       [foo]() [*bar*]{wiki="baz"} `quux`{.wiki}
       ^D
       [[foo]] [[baz|*bar*]] [[quux]]

[-- Attachment #2: wiki-links.lua --]
[-- Type: text/x-lua, Size: 2947 bytes --]

--[=====================================================================[

  Get [[...]] style wiki links in Pandoc Markdown output:

  [PAGE NAME]() becomes [[PAGE NAME]]   (Formatting is lost)

  [FORMATTED TEXT]{wiki="PAGE NAME"} becomes [[PAGE NAME|FORMATTED TEXT]]

  `TEXT`{.wiki} becomes [[TEXT]]        (Very fast!)

      $ pandoc --lua-filter wiki-links.lua -w gfm
      [foo]() [*bar*]{wiki="baz"} `quux`{.wiki}
      ^D
      [[foo]] [[baz|*bar*]] [[quux]]

--]=====================================================================]

local wiki_class = "wiki" -- feel free to change this to e.g. "w"

function Link (elem)
  if "" == elem.target then
    local text = pandoc.utils.stringify(elem)
    return {
      pandoc.RawInline('markdown', '[[' .. text .. ']]' )
    }
  end
  return nil
end

function Code (elem)
  if elem.classes:includes(wiki_class) then
    return { pandoc.RawInline('markdown', '[[' .. elem.text .. ']]') }
  end
  return nil
end

function Span (elem)
  local wiki = elem.attributes[wiki_class]
  if wiki then
    -- construct the part before the formatted text
    prefix  = pandoc.RawInline('markdown', '[[' .. wiki .. '|')
    -- the part after the formatted text
    suffix = pandoc.RawInline('markdown', ']]')
    -- the formatted text == the span content
    local content = elem.content
    -- prepend the prefix
    table.insert(content, 1, prefix)
    -- append the suffix most efficiently
    content[#content+1] = suffix
    return content
  end
  return nil
end

--[=====================================================================[

  This software is Copyright (c) 2019 by Benct Philip Jonsson.

  This is free software, licensed under:

    The MIT (X11) License

  The MIT License

  Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
  obtaining a copy of this software and associated
  documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software
  without restriction, including without limitation the rights to
  use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
  and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to
  whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the
  following conditions:

  The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall
  be included in all copies or substantial portions of the
  Software.

  THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT
  WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
  INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
  MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
  PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT
  SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE
  LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
  LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
  TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
  CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR
  OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

-- Vim: set ft=lua sw=2 sts=2 et fdm=indent:

@ 2019-08-29 12:32       ` Joseph Reagle
From: Joseph Reagle @ 2019-08-29 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 8/23/19 5:44 AM, mb21 wrote:
> Interesting... can you link to some example docs for those wikis?

This ST extension, as well, uses double bracket.

  https://packagecontrol.io/packages/MarkdownEditing#wiki-features