Hello, The ` ` works if it is in normal markdown. Once you have it inside an HTML
 tag, it will get quoted properly so that we actually see "	"
and not a tab.

So say I use a command line tool, and I want to put the output in an HTML
document that I generate with the help of Pandoc. If there are tabs in the
output of the command, they will be messed up. I need a
 because I
want to be able to put more HTML markup inside the
, and this cannot
be done with markdown.

The thing with tabs is, they are usually align at 8 columns. It is like
this on terminals by default, it is like this when shown in a browser. Fun
fact: if you do place a tab inside a
, it will be aligned on 8 columns
if you look at it in the browser, but it will be aligned at 4 if you look
at the source (this is at least what Firefox does).

It was actually very easy to implement my first "solution": replace tabs
with an HTML tag, then pass through Pandoc, then replace all occurrences of
the tag with a tab. I still wonder if and how it could break.

Cheers

On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 3:12:46 PM UTC+3, BPJ wrote:

> Why do you want a literal tab inside a pre tag? What effect do you want to
> achieve?Perhaps there is a workaround which will achieve the same effect.
>
> BTW have you tried `	`?
>
> /bpj
>

> lördag 2 april 2016 skrev Boris Vassilev  >:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> first let me apologize for being a pain with this issue. :(
>>
>> I would like to put tab characters inside a
 tag in the HTML
>> document produced by Pandoc. I perfectly understand why this doesn't work
>> in the way I attempted it: see [this closed issue](
>> https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/2835).
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a work-around? There are at least two possibilities
>> I could come up with (well, variations of the same really).
>>
>> 1. Replace tabs with an HTML tag of my choosing, say . Then,
>> after Pandoc, replace this tag with a tab character.
>>
>> 2. Replace tabs with a  with a class of my choosing, say > class="actualtab">. Then use CSS to tell the browser to treat it as a tab.
>>
>> Motivation: I am using Pandoc for producing HTML (and eventually LaTeX)
>> from an input format that is a bit more complex than markdown. Pandoc is a
>> great choice because it treats embedded markup transparently. For example,
>> I cannot escape inside code blocks, but I can simply give Pandoc content in
 HTML tag and it comes out (mostly) untouched. Same goes for LaTeX