* --section-divs produces sections for both -t html and html5
@ 2017-12-28 22:35 redwardsgis-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
       [not found] ` <2bbf1ff3-dcb3-43a6-8c85-51d8fc303c0c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: redwardsgis-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2017-12-28 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I'm converting from docx to html and use the --section-divs option. I
upgraded a few days ago from 1.19.2.1 to 2.0.5, and lost the divs in the
output. I see that the divs are sections now, which I can adapt to now I
see what happened.

In the Pandoc manual for v2.0.5 it says:
If the --section-divs option is specified, then each section will be
wrapped in a div (or a section, if html5 was specified), and the identifier
will be attached to the enclosing <div> (or <section>) tag rather than the
header itself.

With v2.0.5 I get sections instead of divs, for both --to=html and
--to=html5.

Is that the intended behavior? If so, then the manual should say something
like:

If the --section-divs option is specified, then each section will be
wrapped in a section for html and html5 output, or a div for html4 output.
The identifier will be attached to the enclosing <div> or <section> tag
rather than the header itself.

I'll open an issue or do a pull request if appropriate.

Thanks! -red

* Re: --section-divs produces sections for both -t html and html5
       [not found] ` <2bbf1ff3-dcb3-43a6-8c85-51d8fc303c0c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-12-28 22:48   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <87shbuii46.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2017-12-28 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: redwardsgis-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w; +Cc: pandoc-discuss

redwardsgis-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org writes:

> In the Pandoc manual for v2.0.5 it says:
> If the --section-divs option is specified, then each section will be wrapped in a div (or a section, if html5 was specified), and the identifier will be attached to the enclosing <div> (or <section>) tag rather than the header itself.
>
> With v2.0.5 I get sections instead of divs, for both --to=html and --to=html5.

HTML5 is now the default, so --to=html and --to=html5 do the same thing.

> Is that the intended behavior? If so, then the manual should say something like:
>
> If the --section-divs option is specified, then each section will be wrapped in a section for html and html5 output, or a div for html4 output. The identifier will be attached to the enclosing <div> or <section> tag rather than the header itself.
>
> I'll open an issue or do a pull request if appropriate.

Sounds like a documentation bug, a PR will likely be welcome.

@ 2017-12-28 23:35       ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-12-28 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Actually, the manual does document this behavior.

`--section-divs`

:   Wrap sections in `<div>` tags (or `<section>` tags in HTML5),
    and attach identifiers to the enclosing `<div>` (or `<section>`)
    rather than the header itself. See
    [Header identifiers], below.

The only thing you didn't realize is that `html` is a
synonym for `html5`.  But that's also documented, though
more obscurley, under `-t`:

    `html` or
    `html5` (HTML5/XHTML [polyglot markup]), `latex` (LaTeX),

+++ Albert Krewinkel [Dec 28 17 23:48 ]:

@ 2017-12-28 23:36       ` redwardsgis-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
From: redwardsgis-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2017-12-28 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss