* Obsidian Pandoc plugin—Pandoc export failed
@ 2023-11-13 18:10 Mitch Wagner
       [not found] ` <449e0f8c-0488-4291-a2b6-ef916c422ca5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mitch Wagner @ 2023-11-13 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello, everyone! I'm using the Pandoc plugin for Obsidian on the Mac,
attempting to export a Markdown document to DOCX format. It works great
when I'm exporting a document that only contains text, but it fails when
I'm exporting a document containing text and embedded images. I've attached
the error message.

How can I export to DOCX with embedded images? I'm wondering whether
converting the images to JPGs might help.

Thanks!

[-- Attachment #2: 7830CE8C-D005-40BC-8262-4CA6ECABA5E9.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 26612 bytes --]

* Re: Obsidian Pandoc plugin—Pandoc export failed
       [not found] ` <449e0f8c-0488-4291-a2b6-ef916c422ca5n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-11-13 19:51   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <2D789519-42C2-4193-9928-7DB0F5B177DD-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-11-13 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

We can't be of much help without seeing the markdown file that pandoc is being used to convert.  If you can give a recipe for reproducing this without using obsidian, that would be best.

@ 2023-11-14  0:48       ` Mitch Wagner
       [not found]         ` <9736ab3a-10eb-4a98-903c-c28e54366c76n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mitch Wagner @ 2023-11-14  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks, John. A reasonable response—but the document is a confidential one
and I don't know how to use Pandoc outside of Obsidian. So I see I have
homework to do.

@ 2023-11-14 10:36           ` Daniel Littlewood
From: Daniel Littlewood @ 2023-11-14 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi Mitch. I think your report may actually be self contained after
all. I'm guessing, because I don't have the document, but it looks
like the error message is literally saying the function withBinaryFile
can't process its argument, which is that big file path. The special
character syntax '\8212' is not familiar to me, but a quick google
tells me that &#8212; is the HTML decimal entity for em dash. Since
your filename's hyphen does actually look unusual to me, I suspect
that is the problem. In particular, I think if you remove the dash in
your picture's filename, this error may go away.

Of course, removing the dash is not an ideal solution - if a filename
can be handled by your OS, then software should be able to work with
it just fine. I don't actually know anything about pandoc's source, so
who knows if it's a bug in pandoc or in obsidian.

All the best,
Dan