* Pandoc friendly tufte document class
@ 2017-01-23 10:50 Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo
       [not found] ` <7879f6eb-6853-4890-b843-c69356b280d6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo @ 2017-01-23 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi all,

chiming in to say that I noticed no tufte package works fine with pandoc
atm, so I started a github repo to start working towards a good tufte
template for pandoc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to it:

https://github.com/lf-araujo/tufte-pandoc

Best,

lf

* Re: Pandoc friendly tufte document class
       [not found] ` <7879f6eb-6853-4890-b843-c69356b280d6-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-01-24  9:04   ` Václav Haisman
       [not found]     ` <CAKw7uVikt-q9hBi0N-DAZaJT5yc_fGo7HXWHC+1HdfvhpYiiNg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Haisman @ 2017-01-24  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On 23 January 2017 at 11:50, Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo
<luis.nando-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> chiming in to say that I noticed no tufte package works fine with pandoc
> atm, so I started a github repo to start working towards a good tufte
> template for pandoc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Here is the link to it:
>
> https://github.com/lf-araujo/tufte-pandoc
>
> Best,
>
> lf

I do not understand why is it necessary to create a new document class
for Pandoc to use it? Wouldn't it be better to just create a different
Pandoc LaTeX template for Tufte style book/document?

@ 2017-01-24  9:10       ` Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo
       [not found]         ` <e382c039-e854-428e-89d4-52aa04f26cf0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo @ 2017-01-24  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

That is what I first tried. There are actually a couple of templates
online, but I couldn't find ways of exploring fullwidth environments or the
sidenotes with templates.

The class is simply too complex, I was thinking in simplifying it to work
smoothly with pandoc yaml variables.

@ 2017-01-24 15:30   ` John Muccigrosso
From: John Muccigrosso @ 2017-01-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 5:50:59 AM UTC-5, Luis Fernado Silva Castro
de Araújo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> chiming in to say that I noticed no tufte package works fine with pandoc
> atm, so I started a github repo to start working towards a good tufte
> template for pandoc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Here is the link to it:
>
> https://github.com/lf-araujo/tufte-pandoc
>
> Best,
>
> lf

Not sure I'll be able to help, but I'm glad to see you doing this.

@ 2017-01-24 20:42           ` Chris MacKay
       [not found]             ` <a3c76c99-3541-4f1d-8e15-58ff465c55a4-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris MacKay @ 2017-01-24 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The approach I tried was to use a custom LaTeX writer written in Lua, and
then a tufte-latex template. I ended up using custom attributes in the
figure markup to denote their placement:

![this is a caption](path/to/fig.jpg){type=margin}

And "type" could also be full-width or text-width.

I abandoned this effort mid way, though. Instead I started using the LaTeX
floatrow package directly to create a larger margin. I found the small
margin in the tufte-handout style too small to be useful in the data
presentation handouts I was making.

@ 2017-01-24 20:48               ` Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo
       [not found]                 ` <af50ba79-321c-4d4a-b35b-b8939c5e0ee9-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo @ 2017-01-24 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the answer, Chris.

I also  recently found the floatrow package  and I think to follow this
path. Do you have a template example using it with pandoc that you could
share?

Thanks.

@ 2017-01-24 21:13                   ` Chris MacKay
       [not found]                     ` <a44af459-fe8b-4b25-a1cd-ae4e16314814-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris MacKay @ 2017-01-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

here's what I got: it's sort of a mess...

https://gist.github.com/crmackay/f134fcea218076f8a7542418f292d6b7

@ 2017-01-25  5:11                       ` Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo
       [not found]                         ` <88eca349-1b74-485f-ae42-a50958a077d1-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo @ 2017-01-25  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for the writer Chris,

I reached the conclusion that the easiest solution would be not to mess
with the tufte class. Its main advantage seems to be the rational use of
space. Tufte's design allows for packing information in a clever way, which
is to say that whenever tables and figures exists in the document, they
will take less space, whereas the amount of words per page is about the
same of a tall (regular) latex article page. In my non-scientific tests,
the difference was of about 15% space saved in heavily image or table
packed documents. The difference is not big, if that would be the sole
reason to use that design. I totally see why the R-team is insisting on
that, as it is actually super useful to present graphs and tables.

Why would one need to save space? Some organizations in certain
circumstances require a limited number of pages (talking about funders,
sponsorships, which are the type of org that I deal with), sometimes the
15% more material can help you convey your findings better. The confort of
reading a pdf in tufte's design is about the same as a well rendered latex
document, as it keeps the number of words per line in the 60-80 mark
depending on the font size.

Another strenght of tufte's design is that fullwidth figures allows for
complex images to take more space than the actual text. The reader will be
presented with a larger image to inspect, that could help in seeing the
details, and so on.

So in the end, the true advantage of tufte's design is not in the fonts, or
the fancy headings, or titling. The strength is on the larger margin where
you can put notes and figure captions; and in the fullwidth environment.

These might be easy to achieve w/o even messing with the document class;
floatrow package seems a great candidate to help achieving the aim of a
"tuftesque" document in the sense described above. I will investigate
whether it can mimic some of the design aspects mentioned, and started by
this
<http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/350310/tufte-margin-caption-effect-with-floatrow>
question at SO.

@ 2017-01-25 14:54                           ` Chris MacKay
       [not found]                             ` <da6bd44f-1996-4f7f-a32c-3ce94e3051e5-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris MacKay @ 2017-01-25 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

You can check out the sidenotes package
(https://www.ctan.org/pkg/sidenotes), which is fairly new (wasn't 1.0 when
I started looking into this). That might do what you want.

I agree, the strength of Tufte-ian design is in the intelligent use of the
margin (though tufte credits Feyman for this layout style). For my case I
found my captions required much more space in order to fully explain the
methods involved in generating the data in each figure, so I actually
needed a larger margin for many figures. Whenever I have full-page-wide
figures the caption is also just several full-page wide lines of text,
since i have detailed captions. Since I really don't put too much
"interstitial text" between figures in my handouts, I decided to just
designating the caption position and figure width on a figure by figure
basis. The resulting handouts work great for small group discussions about
primary data - big clear plots, explanatory legends, numbered figures,
numbered pages, a date and title at the front and nothing else.

good luck!

@ 2017-01-26  1:47                               ` Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo
       [not found]                                 ` <98b2a8fd-c42f-4768-bc92-b6be6c35551e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Luis Fernado Silva Castro de Araújo @ 2017-01-26  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks for pointing it out,

It seems the sidenote package is able to deal with all the characteristics
I mentioned before. So I would suppose that adding a macro to
header-includes would be enough to convert all regular captions to side
captions.

If I add something like:

---
title: Teste
papersize: a4
bibliography: library.bib
header-includes:
    - \usepackage{sidenotes}
    - \renewcommand{\footnote}{\sidenote}
---

Works perfectly and all the footnotes becomes sidenotes. But if I try to
convert captions to sidecaptions like below:

---
title: Teste
papersize: a4
bibliography: library.bib
header-includes:
    - \usepackage{sidenotes}
    - \renewcommand{\caption}{\sidecaption}
---

It compiles fine, but the captions does not change to the margin space.
What I might be doing wrong?

@ 2017-01-26  3:01                                   ` Chris MacKay
       [not found]                                     ` <27D812EC-9384-4E8D-B38B-15F2225CCA9B-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris MacKay @ 2017-01-26  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I don’t think you can just rename all `\caption` commands, since that command is used many times within the sidenotes package macros themselves.

Here’s a smallish working example of the LaTeX markup… getting from markdown to this is what’s tricky.

https://www.overleaf.com/read/czfmznxznhnp

@ 2017-11-10  1:16                                       ` lf-araujo
From: lf-araujo @ 2017-11-10  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss