* error after yosemite installation
@ 2014-11-06  1:26 Ricardo Pietrobon
       [not found] ` <9e0187a8-42dd-46ec-b225-aa207afb904a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ricardo Pietrobon @ 2014-11-06  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

everything was working perfectly unitl I installed yosemite (i know, I
know) and now when I try to convert from markdown to pdf i get the
following message:

pandoc: pdflatex: createProcess: runInteractiveProcess: exec: inappropriate
type (Not a directory)

here is what i tried and didn't work:

1. reinstalled pandoc, with the binary from the pandoc site as well as
through brew
2. reinstalled maktex, which includes using FixMacTeX2014.pkg
3. deleted the old /usr/bin/texbin and rebuilt the symbolic link

any thoughts on what the problem might be?

thanks

* Re: error after yosemite installation
       [not found] ` <9e0187a8-42dd-46ec-b225-aa207afb904a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-11-06 20:01   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20141106200141.GC14464-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-11-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Strange.  Lots of the files in /usr/texbin are scripts that
start with exec, so that would be my best guess about where
the problem lies.  But I have no idea what the problem is or
how to fix it.  Is anyone else using pandoc on yosemite?

+++ Ricardo Pietrobon [Nov 05 14 17:26 ]:

@ 2014-11-07 14:11       ` mb21
       [not found]         ` <7801bf98-6cd1-4548-addc-9b2fdbeceb0f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: mb21 @ 2014-11-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> Is anyone else using pandoc on yosemite?

yes, works fine for me. I think I'm still using the pdflatex from
MacTex-2013:
$ pdflatex -v
pdfTeX 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013)

@Ricardo, does pdflatex work on its own? It should:
https://tug.org/mactex/yosemite.html

cheers

@ 2014-11-07 14:40           ` Ricardo Pietrobon
       [not found]             ` <CAF4X4oPCLu-nm6Jso8rKp3PrnQ_Fzur4tKmS2izWtKmFVr4COQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ricardo Pietrobon @ 2014-11-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Mauro, it does work on its own and with other apps:

➜  ~  pdflatex -v
pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.15 (TeX Live 2014)

the problem is really just when trying to do the conversion through pandoc.
btw, I just tried it on another mac with Yosemite and it does work, but the
error persists on my laptop. I am puzzled, the only clue I have is that it
all started after Yosemite

@ 2014-11-10 17:05               ` David Sanson
From: David Sanson @ 2014-11-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I am using pandoc 1.13.1 installed via cabal and pdflatex
3.14159265-2.6-1.40.15 (Tex Live 2014) on yosemite without problems.

@ 2014-12-03 19:22   ` Ben Temperton
       [not found]     ` <70ad36c3-559a-47d9-a198-07735f1984e0-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ben Temperton @ 2014-12-03 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Just to let you know that you are not alone!

Installed pandoc today and it runs fine for tex, html and word documents.
pdf documents throw the exact same error you are seeing.

> pandoc --filter pandoc-citeproc SCG.protocol.md -s -o SCG.pdf
pandoc: pdflatex: createProcess: runInteractiveProcess: exec: inappropriate
type (Not a directory)

>which pdflatex
/usr/texbin/pdflatex

>pdflatex -v
pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.15 (TeX Live 2014)
kpathsea version 6.2.0
Copyright 2014 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX source.
Primary author of pdfTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Compiled with libpng 1.6.10; using libpng 1.6.10
Compiled with zlib 1.2.8; using zlib 1.2.8

>pandoc -v
pandoc 1.13.1
Compiled with texmath 0.8, highlighting-kate 0.5.11.
Syntax highlighting is supported for the following languages:
    abc, actionscript, ada, agda, apache, asn1, asp, awk, bash, bibtex,
boo, c,
    changelog, clojure, cmake, coffee, coldfusion, commonlisp, cpp, cs, css,
    curry, d, diff, djangotemplate, dockerfile, dot, doxygen, doxygenlua,
dtd,
    eiffel, email, erlang, fasm, fortran, fsharp, gcc, glsl, gnuassembler,
go,
    haskell, haxe, html, ini, isocpp, java, javadoc, javascript, json, jsp,
    julia, latex, lex, lilypond, literatecurry, literatehaskell, lua, m4,
    makefile, mandoc, markdown, mathematica, matlab, maxima, mediawiki,
    metafont, mips, modelines, modula2, modula3, monobasic, nasm, noweb,
    objectivec, objectivecpp, ocaml, octave, opencl, pascal, perl, php,
pike,
    postscript, prolog, pure, python, r, relaxng, relaxngcompact, rest,
rhtml,
    roff, ruby, rust, scala, scheme, sci, sed, sgml, sql, sqlmysql,
    sqlpostgresql, tcl, tcsh, texinfo, verilog, vhdl, xml, xorg, xslt, xul,
    yacc, yaml, zsh

@ 2014-12-03 19:57       ` Ben Temperton
       [not found]         ` <5d7e742f-d38f-4966-874c-354683f0c463-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ben Temperton @ 2014-12-03 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Quick follow up to this - I noticed that pandoc was working fine in Rstudio
for conversion of R markdown. If you mimic the command used by RStudio to
generate the pdf on the command line, it works fine.

pandoc SCG.protocol.md --to latex --from
markdown+autolink_bare_uris+ascii_identifiers+tex_math_single_backslash-implicit_figures
--output SCG.protocol.pdf --filter pandoc-citeproc --template
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/rmarkdown/rmd/latex/default.tex
--highlight-style tango --latex-engine /usr/texbin/pdflatex --variable
'geometry:margin=1in' --bibliography SCG.protocol.bib

Not sure if this provides any more insight to the original issue.

@ 2014-12-03 21:43           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20141203214323.GB85084-0VdLhd/A9Pm0ooXD8Eul3dUavlfn6ZYWTVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2014-12-03 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Try just using one of their extra options at a time, to see if you can
isolate which one matters.

+++ Ben Temperton [Dec 03 14 11:57 ]:

@ 2015-01-14  9:57               ` Christoph Jasinski
From: Christoph Jasinski @ 2015-01-14  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi there

What solved the issue for me (I just installed all the things for the first
time), was just to specify the --latex-engine.

So for a simple conversion of markdown to pdf you can use:
pandoc source --output output.pdf --latex-engine /usr/texbin/pdflatex

Hope that helps if you came here by search like me ;)

Bin thanks to @Ben

Cheers,
Chris

@ 2015-09-01 12:42   ` Oliver
       [not found]     ` <69cadbaa-4c2e-46d4-a01e-987e16c2fa6e-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Oliver @ 2015-09-01 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Oh no, I'm getting this error now. I get it for both pdflatex and xelatex
engines:

pandoc: xelatex: createProcess: runInteractiveProcess: exec: inappropriate
> type (Not a directory)
>
> pandoc: pdflatex: createProcess: runInteractiveProcess: exec:
> inappropriate type (Not a directory)

I was running Pandoc with absolutely no problems on OS X Yosemite. What
started producing this error is that I was trying to add a path to the
$PATH variable by editing .bash_profile to this:

export
> PATH="/bin/bash:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/bin:$PATH"

 This was a bad idea, as it ended up removing lots of additions from $PATH
which I had to put back in again by hand (eg the Python3.4 path had to be
re-added). So, this is $PATH after my attempt to fix it:

/bin/bash:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/texbin

The texbin is in the path, so pdflatex and xelatex are both discoverable:

which xelatex

> /usr/texbin/xelatex

 But I've completely broken Pandoc.

Presumably, there's something still missing from my $PATH variable, and if
I could restore my $PATH to what it was previously, it would work again.
Can anyone see anything obvious that's missing? Could someone running
Pandoc on Yosemite type echo $PATH and let me know what they get?

thanks.

@ 2015-09-01 13:25       ` Oliver
       [not found]         ` <8fda07c4-ee77-4653-a147-c7f3287d3b30-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Oliver @ 2015-09-01 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Just a quick update. Weirdly, pandoc works fine when I call it from Sublime
Text (using the pandown plugin), I just can't call it from the Terminal.

@ 2015-09-01 13:59           ` Joost Kremers
       [not found]             ` <87mvx66y1j.fsf-97jfqw80gc6171pxa8y+qA@public.gmane.org>
From: Joost Kremers @ 2015-09-01 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On Tue, Sep 01 2015, Oliver <olidew-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Just a quick update. Weirdly, pandoc works fine when I call it from Sublime
> Text (using the pandown plugin), I just can't call it from the Terminal.

On OS X, the value of PATH isn't the same in the GUI and in Terminal. So
it's not really weird that Sublime finds Pandoc and Terminal does not.
(Though IME it's usually the other way around, GUI programs have a more
limited PATH setting than bash in Terminal.)

Is there a way to find out what Sublime's value of PATH is? If so, you
can compare it to the PATH in Terminal.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

@ 2015-09-01 16:40               ` Oliver
From: Oliver @ 2015-09-01 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I've been googling this for an hour and have absolutely no idea how to work
out what the ST3 GUI path is. (it seems Apple keeps changing how the GUI
path is established with each release). Almost every hit you see is about
how to add a path to the GUI path (ie the assumption that the GUI path is
more limited and isn't working). No one has considered the possibility that
it's the Terminal that is broken and the Finder-launched app is working
fine.

One mistake, and my entire workflow is broken. It's tempting to roll back
to a TimeMachine backup. But that seems a bit extreme just to rediscover
what my $PATH variable was.

@ 2015-09-02  2:56           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-09-02  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

How did you install pandoc?

If you used the binary package installer, then the binary is
in /usr/local/bin.

If you used cabal, then it is in ~/Library/Haskell/bin or
possibly ~/.cabal/bin.

Hope that is enough to solve your problem!

+++ Oliver [Sep 01 15 06:25 ]:

@ 2015-09-02  2:59           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <20150902025924.GH61652-jF64zX8BO08aTFSqC7bH4WZHpeb/A1Y/@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2015-09-02  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Oliver [Sep 01 15 06:25 ]:

>    This was a bad idea, as it ended up removing lots of additions from
>   $PATH which I had to put back in again by hand (eg the Python3.4 path
>   had to be re-added). So, this is $PATH after my attempt to fix it:
>
>     /bin/bash:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/
>     bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/texbin

Your PATH shouldn't contain /bin/bash - that's a file, not a
directory.  (And that sort of makes sense of the error
messages you were getting.)  Try getting rid of that from
your PATH.

(Disregard my previous message; I see that the problem is
not the pandoc path.)

@ 2015-09-02  9:14               ` Oliver
From: Oliver @ 2015-09-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss