* What keys / values are allowed in the `references` field in YAML metadata?
@ 2023-03-03 11:48 A A
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgOQ_1G9wkA4-monUExPuA=k1H0Yof6XTm+NKACC6SCWLw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-03-03 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is there a spec for the `references` filed in YAML metadata in Pandoc
markdown? The `references` field is supposed to be compatible with multiple
formats (BibTeX, CSL, etc.) so what different key-value pairs are allowed
in it?

The only example provided in the docs is the following:

---
references:
- type: article-journal
  id: WatsonCrick1953
  author:
  - family: Watson
    given: J. D.
  - family: Crick
    given: F. H. C.
  issued:
    date-parts:
    - - 1953
      - 4
      - 25
  title: 'Molecular structure of nucleic acids: a structure for
    deoxyribose nucleic acid'
  title-short: Molecular structure of nucleic acids
  container-title: Nature
  volume: 171
  issue: 4356
  page: 737-738
  DOI: 10.1038/171737a0
  language: en-GB

Which appears to follow a BibTeX-like format but there's no way to tell. I
mean, not all references are articles or journals right?

* AW: What keys / values are allowed in the `references` field in YAML metadata?
       [not found] ` <CAMwawgOQ_1G9wkA4-monUExPuA=k1H0Yof6XTm+NKACC6SCWLw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-03-03 11:53   ` denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0
       [not found]     ` <9b8cbc4fabcb4930bd12742369a2f49f-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
From: denis.maier-NSENcxR/0n0 @ 2023-03-03 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Check: https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#citation-rendering

The format here is CSL YAML. Check the CSL specification for allowed types and variables: https://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#appendix-iii-types

Best,
Denis

[...]

* Re: What keys / values are allowed in the `references` field in YAML metadata?
       [not found]     ` <9b8cbc4fabcb4930bd12742369a2f49f-NSENcxR/0n0@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-03-03 11:55       ` A A
       [not found]         ` <CAMwawgNDeWgjqB7Z-aL8hhGS-sZXx4qo_HZztECLK_-Jv3VubA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-03-03 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Thanks. In my opinion, it would be useful if this was clearly expressed in
the official docs.

@ 2023-03-03 12:05           ` A A
       [not found]             ` <CAMwawgMF9JGUF1PFNcmz1-0W3vabVRNXQmDpz52V2LC2WbZLOQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: A A @ 2023-03-03 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On another note, I thought it might be smart to define a bibtex file and
then convert it to CSL yaml using pandoc. This would potentially save me
the hassle of having to define the CSL YAML from scratch. Here’s my .bib
file:

@manual{software_guide,
  author = {{Organization Name}},
  title = {Software Name User Guide},
  date = {2023},
  organization = {Software Company},
  url = {https://www.example.com/software_guide.pdf},
}

However when I try the following I get no output:

pandoc --from bibtex --to markdown .\test.bib

@ 2023-03-03 12:38               ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-03-03 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Add -s to your command.