* enlargeable/clickable images
@ 2022-10-24 12:56 Bernhard Donaubauer
       [not found] ` <d57d8fc0-f4da-44c8-a4e6-bac4dbd249dbn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bernhard Donaubauer @ 2022-10-24 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hello,

I'm about to write some documentation with markdown and pandoc.

I often use this construct to insert a picture:

 [![](bilder/600/small.jpg)](bilder/large.jpg)

This displays the small picture in the HTML document and loads the large
picture if one clicks on the small one.

This works so far but is unfortunately incompatible with the self-contained
feature.

The small picture gets base64 embedded but the large picture stays a link
to the local file.

Is there a way to embed the large picture too or exists a completely
different solution to get this done?

Regards
Bernhard

* Re: enlargeable/clickable images
       [not found] ` <d57d8fc0-f4da-44c8-a4e6-bac4dbd249dbn-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-10-24 17:28   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <483ED290-642E-47B9-894C-D9D5F8B1F4F7-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-10-24 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

That's interesting, I hadn't thought about links to external images with --self-contained.
I'm not thinking of a good solution, but maybe someone else will have ideas?

@ 2022-10-25  5:34       ` Bernhard Donaubauer
       [not found]         ` <5a016172-91df-4b07-96c2-ffa0e4081402n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bernhard Donaubauer @ 2022-10-25  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

The longer I think about it the more I consider it a bug. Keeping links to
local picture files is in contradiction to *self-contained*.

I will file a bug report.

Regards,
Bernhard Donaubauer

@ 2022-10-25 17:56           ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]             ` <768C4D9D-FBFC-41C1-AB1D-C16859CDACBD-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-10-25 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

These are links, not embedded resources.  --self-contained is for embedding resources.  I don't consider it a bug.

If your document links to an external website, should we be including it, too, in a self-contained HTML page?  How would we even do that, since a page is a page, not multiple pages?

@ 2022-10-26  6:31               ` Bernhard Donaubauer
       [not found]                 ` <bda51ec7-0ccb-40a7-83d0-58242476a483n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Bernhard Donaubauer @ 2022-10-26  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

> These are links, not embedded resources. --self-contained is for
embedding resources. I don't consider it a bug.

Yes these are links but links to local resources. Image files that are in
the same directory as my MD file.
As far as I know the current browser generation has support for DATA URI in
the href attribute, so it's
technically feasible.

> If your document links to an external website, should we be including it,
too, in a self-contained HTML page? How would we even do that, since a page
is a page, not multiple pages?

Links to external web sites and resources shouldn't be changed of course.
But In my opinion one should here differentiate between:

  href="images/mypic.png"

and

  href="https://www.wikipedia.de"

In the meantime I was able to implement this feature with the help of a
javascript library, so I won't argue but I would have preferred a pure
markdown solution.

@ 2022-10-26 13:28                   ` BPJ
From: BPJ @ 2022-10-26 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss, bdonauba-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w

If the OP wants to modify the actual HTML files rather than using
JavaScript the attached Perl script might be of interest.

Den ons 26 okt. 2022 08:32Bernhard Donaubauer <bdonauba-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> skrev:

> > These are links, not embedded resources. --self-contained is for
> embedding resources. I don't consider it a bug.
>
> Yes these are links but links to local resources. Image files that are in
> the same directory as my MD file.
> As far as I know the current browser generation has support for DATA URI
> in the href attribute, so it's
> technically feasible.
>

> > If your document links to an external website, should we be including
> it, too, in a self-contained HTML page? How would we even do that, since a
> page is a page, not multiple pages?
>
> Links to external web sites and resources shouldn't be changed of course.
> But In my opinion one should here differentiate between:
>
>   href="images/mypic.png"
>
> and
>
>   href="https://www.wikipedia.de"
>

> In the meantime I was able to implement this feature with the help of a
> javascript library, so I won't argue but I would have preferred a pure
> markdown solution.
>
> Regards,
> Bernhard
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/bda51ec7-0ccb-40a7-83d0-58242476a483n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pandoc-discuss/bda51ec7-0ccb-40a7-83d0-58242476a483n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

[-- Attachment #2: html-base64.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 104745 bytes --]

@ 2022-10-26 17:44                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <AEB19120-BB5E-4962-8F80-DA35F240FFD8-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-10-26 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> On Oct 25, 2022, at 11:31 PM, Bernhard Donaubauer <bdonauba-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

> > These are links, not embedded resources. --self-contained is for embedding resources. I don't consider it a bug.
>
> Yes these are links but links to local resources. Image files that are in the same directory as my MD file.
> As far as I know the current browser generation has support for DATA URI in the href attribute, so it's
> technically feasible.

Do you mean

This didn't work when I tried it.

In any case, I don't think what you're asking for is consistent with the documented and intended behavior of --self-contained.
Note that --self-contained embeds BOTH internal and external images. Why should it behave differently if it were extended to links?

@ 2022-10-26 19:07                       ` Daniel Staal
       [not found]                         ` <78dff09c-fadc-2c8a-8e42-d11246bd2a6b-Jdbf3xiKgS8@public.gmane.org>
From: Daniel Staal @ 2022-10-26 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 10/26/22 1:44 PM, John MacFarlane wrote:

>> On Oct 25, 2022, at 11:31 PM, Bernhard Donaubauer <bdonauba-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>

>>> These are links, not embedded resources. --self-contained is for embedding resources. I don't consider it a bug.
>>
>> Yes these are links but links to local resources. Image files that are in the same directory as my MD file.
>> As far as I know the current browser generation has support for DATA URI in the href attribute, so it's
>> technically feasible.
>
> Do you mean
>
> This didn't work when I tried it.
>
> In any case, I don't think what you're asking for is consistent with the documented and intended behavior of --self-contained.
> Note that --self-contained embeds BOTH internal and external images. Why should it behave differently if it were extended to links?

Because a link isn't garunteeded to be an image - or even a single file.
  It could be dynamically generated, an index, a 3-hour video, or pretty
much anything.  (And owned by pretty much anyone.)  All we know is that
it's an external resource that we're linking to.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.

@ 2022-10-27  0:27                           ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2022-10-27  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

> On Oct 26, 2022, at 12:07 PM, Daniel Staal <DStaal-Jdbf3xiKgS8@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> Yes these are links but links to local resources. Image files that are in the same directory as my MD file.
>>> As far as I know the current browser generation has support for DATA URI in the href attribute, so it's
>>> technically feasible.
>> Do you mean
>> This didn't work when I tried it.
>> In any case, I don't think what you're asking for is consistent with the documented and intended behavior of --self-contained.
>> Note that --self-contained embeds BOTH internal and external images. Why should it behave differently if it were extended to links?
>
> Because a link isn't garunteeded to be an image - or even a single file.  It could be dynamically generated, an index, a 3-hour video, or pretty much anything.  (And owned by pretty much anyone.)  All we know is that it's an external resource that we're linking to.

Just to be clear: I’m not arguing that —self-contained should embed the contents of external links.  I’m saying it would be inconsistent to make it embed the contents of internal links, but not external ones, because it doesn’t make that distinction for images.  I’m not in favor of any link embedding (nor do I understand how we’d achieve it technically).

@ 2022-10-27  6:38                   ` Bernhard Donaubauer
From: Bernhard Donaubauer @ 2022-10-27  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss