From: Maria Shinoto <maria.shinoto-7M2J4GrLiDedPOQpRHQ53DeJuz7u0hKX@public.gmane.org>
To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Transliterated and original titles/names in citations
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 08:18:16 +0900	[thread overview]

I have the same problem with different writing systems, translations, and transliterations in citations.

To me the problem turned out that there is not one solution that will work with all journals etc. My conclusion was to store the literature privately as I need it, then export the data into Bib(La)tex data (or CSL, which I did not use yet) that will create a standard bibliography as requested by the journal.

E.g. do some journals request an English translation as title and the original text in brackets just behind the title. In that case, I export my private fields "title-transl-en" + " [" + "title-orig-jap" + "]" into the title field of a Bibtex database for just this article. In other cases, I would use just "title-transl-en" in the title field and a comment at the end of the citation "in Japanese", etc. -- So I am free with my own data, and I am in command of my export scripts (to CSL, Bibtex etc.), the exported text file then works as if it was ordinary Western bibliography.

A bit different approach, until now it worked well for me.

Maria