* Multimarkdown Meta Data
@ 2010-11-23  0:47 Brett Calcott
       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=1Mk8zKR-HHeQegfQtbeodLyjGzve6=Vp1tCw9-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Brett Calcott @ 2010-11-23  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hi all.

As I understand it, pandoc supports a limited bit of metadata at the
top of the file (Title, author, date). How hard would it be to support
multimarkdown style metadata, like this:

Title: A Document
Author: Bob
Language: English
Date: Wednesday

Brett

* Re: Multimarkdown Meta Data
@ 2011-01-12 22:23 Ryan Gray
From: Ryan Gray @ 2011-01-12 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

(A little late to this thread, but...)

Seems several suggestions for the metadata are just as MultiMarkdown
does it:

* Headers at the very top until a blank line.

* You start the file with a blank line if you have no headers so that
some automated process could add header lines to the top.

* Unrecognized header keywords are passed through the XHTML header as
meta tags and into LaTeX as \VerbatimFootnotes \def\foo{bar}

I can put two spaces at the end of each header line so that a plain
Markdown processor doesn't wrap them. [It just made me think that if
MultiMarkdown supported it, you could indent these, and a plain
processor would treat them as code, which would give you line breaks
as well]

I like the idea that a localization file could translate the metadata
strings in the user's file since it would keep the whole document in
their language.

I really would want the option of having the metadata in either the
header and/or the command line. Clearly, some people like it one way
or the other, and Fletcher Penny clearly likes it all in the document,
but I want to be able to leave some up to the processor script so that
I can take one source and process it several ways. But then, I don't
put literal target markup in my documents. If I was putting in literal
XHTML or LaTeX, I'm probably only going to those target formats, so
having metadata in the header is fine for that, but even still, why
should I have to boilerplate several header lines into each document
just to get it to come out right? Yes, that's MultiMarkdown and not
Pandoc, but is also what you could be in for if you move the metadata
to purely the document header.

I'm sure there would be debates over whether a value in the header
should override one defined as a command parameter, but maybe that can
be solved with command parameters that can set defaults and ones that
override values set in the document.

Of course, it would be *convenient* if the header format between
Pandoc and MultiMarkdown was the same, or at least compatible at say
the "Title", "Author", "Date" level and ignored unrecognized tags.