* How to overwrite values from default file in the document
@ 2023-05-21  8:05 Oliver Baumann
       [not found] ` <e8781103-e0b6-4194-975b-960965ac0e91n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Oliver Baumann @ 2023-05-21  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Hi there, I am using Defaults files to give my documents a standard look.
This works absolutely fantastic.
However sometimes I want to overwrite settings from the Defaults file in
the document YAML block, but this doesn't always work. Here an example when
I cannot overwrite the Defaults settings:

*The Defaults file:*

from: markdown
to: pdf
standalone: true
variables:
  documentclass: scrartcl
    geometry:
    - a4paper

*The YAML block in the Markdown document:*

---
geometry:
- a5paper
- textheight=18cm

Any idea how I can overwrite the geometry info in the document?

* Re: How to overwrite values from default file in the document
       [not found] ` <e8781103-e0b6-4194-975b-960965ac0e91n-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-05-21 14:19   ` Albert Krewinkel
       [not found]     ` <877ct1sqx0.fsf-9EawChwDxG8hFhg+JK9F0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Albert Krewinkel @ 2023-05-21 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Oliver Baumann <news-WPTjrydoUPgeaOpM6FAJmQkbCANdLtlA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi there, I am using Defaults files to give my documents a standard
> look. This works absolutely fantastic.
> However sometimes I want to overwrite settings from the Defaults file
> in the document YAML block, but this doesn't always work.

The defaults files should be thought of defining default values for
*command line arguments*. This is important in this context, because
metadata values given on the command line will always override those
defined in the document. That means that metadata defined in a defaults
file can only be overridden via command line options, not via values in
the document.

Instead, you may want to use `--metadata-file`, which can be thought of
a defaults file for metadata, as those values _can_ be overridden by the
YAML in the document itself.

--
Albert Krewinkel

@ 2023-05-22  4:14       ` oliver