* Pandoc for word-word interlinear translation?
@ 2022-05-18  3:45 Peng Yu
       [not found] ` <d0739d6f-12b7-4d01-b34e-f8997012996en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Peng Yu @ 2022-05-18  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

https://pacobell15.neocities.org/rosary_prayers.htm

I see interlinear translation like the above, where you have the original
text in one line, and the word-by-word translation in the following line.
But the translated words must be aligned to the original words.

Given an existing translation with only sentence by sentence mapping, I
want to format the translated text with word level alignment to the
original text.

For example, given a Latin text and its English translation.

- In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
- In the beginning God created heaven, and earth.

http://drbo.org/drl/chapter/01001.htm

I want to format the word-word interlinear translation just as
rosary_prayers.htm with the following mapping.

- In -> In
- principio -> the beginning
- creavit -> created
- Deus -> God
- caelum -> heaven
- et -> and
- terram -> earth

How to make such kind of editing with the least amount of effort (typing
time) using pandoc?

* Re: Pandoc for word-word interlinear translation?
       [not found] ` <d0739d6f-12b7-4d01-b34e-f8997012996en-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2022-05-18  7:06   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2022-05-18  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Why do you want to use Pandoc to do that? Which export format do you target?

@ 2022-05-18 14:38     ` Kevin Fjelsted
From: Kevin Fjelsted @ 2022-05-18 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I want to do all my editing in Markdown so when I receive a word doc I wish to convert it to Markdown where I can then use an accessible editor such as TextMate for the Mac (VoiceOver screenreader compatible). Another option is Ulysses for the Mac which is very accessible and VOiceOver screenreader compatible as well.
Thus I would use Markdown format to edit anything and then convert it back if necessary to DOCS. There are plenty of cross platform options to convert Markdown to DOCX but I am finding it not so easy to get a complete Markdown version from DOCX.
The fact that your pandoc command, which is the same as mine, converts the list formats to Markdown correctly is very mysterious. As I said in reply to your previous message about Pandoc versions, I am running the same version as you.

-Kevin