* pandoc transform between markdown and rst support Chinese character not well?
@ 2017-10-16 15:44 iromise
       [not found] ` <b5d59708-1d56-4c95-aa79-9360c1a14580-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: iromise @ 2017-10-16 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

When I use pandoc to transform markdown format table in which there is some
Chinese character to rst format table,the generated table seems some wrong.
Such as follows:
(this is a Elf32_Sym introduction, but it is now in Chinese)

md format:

| 字段       | 说明                                       |

| -------- | ---------------------------------------- |

| st_name  | 符号在字符串表中对应的索引。如果该值非 0,则它表示了给出符号名的字符串表索引,否则符号表项没有名称。  注:外部  C
> 符号在 C 语言和目标文件的符号表中具有相同的名称。 |

| st_value | 给出与符号相关联的数值,具体取值依赖于上下文,可能是一个正常的数值、一个地址等等。 |

| st_size  | 给出对应符号所占用的大小。如果符号没有大小或者大小未知,则此成员为0。      |

| st_info  | 给出符号的类型和绑定属性。之后会给出若干取值和含义的绑定关系。          |

| st_other | 目前为0,其含义没有被定义。                           |

| st_shndx | 每个符号表项都会和某个节区有所关系。此成员给出相关的节区头部表索引。某些索引具有特殊含义。 |

rst format:

+-----------+-------------------------------------------+
> | 字段      | 说明                                      |
> +===========+===========================================+
> | st\_name  | 符号在字符串表中对应的索引。如果该值非    |
> |           | 0,则它表示了给出符号名的字符串表索引,否则符号表项没有名称。 |
> |           |                                           |
> |           | 注:外部 C 符号在 C                       |
> |           | 语言和目标文件的符号表中具有相同的名称。  |
> +-----------+-------------------------------------------+
> | st\_value | 给出与符号相关联的数值,具体取值依赖于上下文,可能是一个正常的数值、一个地址等等。 |
> +-----------+-------------------------------------------+
> | st\_size  | 给出对应符号所占用的大小。如果符号没有大小或者大小未知,则此成员为0。 |
> +-----------+-------------------------------------------+
> | st\_info  | 给出符号的类型和绑定属性。之后会给出若干取值和含义的绑定关系。 |
> +-----------+-------------------------------------------+
> | st\_other | 目前为0,其含义没有被定义。               |
> +-----------+-------------------------------------------+
> | st\_shndx | 每个符号表项都会和某个节区有所关系。此成员给出相关的节区头部表索引。某些索引具有特 |
> |           | 殊含义。                                  |

* Re: pandoc transform between markdown and rst support Chinese character not well?
       [not found] ` <b5d59708-1d56-4c95-aa79-9360c1a14580-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-16 16:13   ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-16 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Since you have a pipe table with lines that exceed the
stadard column width, the columns get relative widths (based
on the header line lengths).  This is why narrow columns are
used in the RST table.  You can disable this by setting
--columns to a very high number.  But then you'll get a very
wide RST table.

You can also adjust column widths by increasing the size of the
header lines.

The big problem is that you have constrained column widths,
but pandoc isn't able to break the lines anywhere, because
they don't contain regular space characters.

+++ iromise [Oct 16 17 08:44 ]:

@ 2017-10-17  2:39   ` iromise
       [not found]     ` <feb05f9a-a367-495e-94f2-50dfc9bb3f74-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: iromise @ 2017-10-17  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Thanks a lot, but If there is any way to to make the column width fixed and
at the same time transform markdown table to rst table correctly without
adding space?

If I make the column too large, the table in the web page(I use sphinx to
generate html) seems not friendly since we have to scroll the bar to see
more content...

在 2017年10月16日星期一 UTC+8下午11:44:56,iromise写道:

@ 2017-10-17  3:53       ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]         ` <20171017035353.GC57897-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-17  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ iromise [Oct 16 17 19:39 ]:
>   Thanks a lot, but If there is any way to to make the column width fixed
>   and at the same time transform markdown table to rst table correctly
>   without adding space?
>   If I make the column too large, the table in the web page(I use sphinx
>   to generate html) seems not friendly since we have to scroll the bar to
>   see more content...

You could insert spaces into the content.
This would allow pandoc to break the lines to fit them
in the fixed-width cells.

@ 2017-10-17 23:33           ` Václav Haisman
       [not found]             ` <61410aee-bec7-4697-a46f-68129f92bf8f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Václav Haisman @ 2017-10-17 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Dne úterý 17. října 2017 5:54:09 UTC+2 John MacFarlane napsal(a):

> +++ iromise [Oct 16 17 19:39 ]:
> >   Thanks a lot, but If there is any way to to make the column width
> fixed
> >   and at the same time transform markdown table to rst table correctly
> >   without adding space?
> >   If I make the column too large, the table in the web page(I use sphinx
> >   to generate html) seems not friendly since we have to scroll the bar
> >   see more content...
>
> You could insert spaces into the content.
> This would allow pandoc to break the lines to fit them
> in the fixed-width cells.
>
> Maybe Pandoc should consider more opportunities than just spaces for line
breaking. E.g., use of ICU's BreakIterator
<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/text-icu-0.7.0.1/docs/Data-Text-ICU-Break.html#t:BreakIterator>
.

@ 2017-10-18  1:36               ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                 ` <20171018013611.GC72258-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-18  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ Václav Haisman [Oct 17 17 16:33 ]:
>   Maybe Pandoc should consider more opportunities than just spaces for
>   line breaking. E.g., use of ICU's [1]BreakIterator.

Pandoc just breaks on Space elements in the AST, so we're limited
here.

@ 2017-10-18  9:45                   ` Baozheng Liu
From: Baozheng Liu @ 2017-10-18  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Ok, thanks a lot. May be I SHOULD give a suggestion to pandoc.

@ 2017-10-19 11:56   ` BP Jonsson
       [not found]     ` <4f48a015-3dc7-f663-81d5-a1d74333304b-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: BP Jonsson @ 2017-10-19 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iromise, pandoc-discuss

Den 2017-10-16 kl. 17:44, skrev iromise:
> When I use pandoc to transform markdown format table in which there is some
> Chinese character to rst format table,the generated table seems some wrong.

[snip]

> is there any way I can solved it? thanks.

Does it help to replace those spaces you actually have in the
source with non-breaking spaces? "You can insert a non-breaking
space in Pandoc Markdown by typing a backslash followed by an
ordinary space character.

Otherwise setting a high --columns value is the way to go.
If the table in your example is typical --columns=250 would be
about enough, and shouldn't be a problem on modern screens.
I often need tables with many narrow columns, and then I need to
set --columns=200 in order to not get unwanted line breaks in the
middle of (Western script) words.

Moreover this particular table looks like it could profitably be
reformatted as a definition list, since it has only two columns
(see the attached file!)

/bpj

[-- Attachment #2: markdown_and_rst_support_Chinese.md --]
[-- Type: text/x-markdown; name="markdown_and_rst_support_Chinese.md", Size: 1809 bytes --]

    st_name

    :	符号在字符串表中对应的索引。如果该值非 0,则它表示了给出符号名的字符串表索引,否则符号表项没有名称。  注:外部  C  > 符号在 C 语言和目标文件的符号表中具有相同的名称。

    st_value

    :	给出与符号相关联的数值,具体取值依赖于上下文,可能是一个正常的数值、一个地址等等。

    st_size

    :	给出对应符号所占用的大小。如果符号没有大小或者大小未知,则此成员为0。

    st_info

    :	给出符号的类型和绑定属性。之后会给出若干取值和含义的绑定关系。

    st_other

    :	目前为0,其含义没有被定义。

    st_shndx

    :	每个符号表项都会和某个节区有所关系。此成员给出相关的节区头部表索引。某些索引具有特殊含义。

pandoc -r markdown+east_asian_line_breaks -w rst %

@ 2017-10-19 16:10       ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-19 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

+++ BP Jonsson [Oct 19 17 13:56 ]:
>Den 2017-10-16 kl. 17:44, skrev iromise:
>>When I use pandoc to transform markdown format table in which there is some
>>Chinese character to rst format table,the generated table seems some wrong.
>
>[snip]
>

>>is there any way I can solved it? thanks.
>>

>Does it help to replace those spaces you actually have in the source
>with non-breaking spaces?

The problem is the reverse.  There are no spaces in the
source, just Chinese punctuation characters that include a
space.  Pandoc won't break on those, and this makes the line
too long to fit in a cell of the required width.

* Re: pandoc transform between markdown and rst support Chinese character not well?
@ 2017-10-20  2:52         ` Baozheng Liu
       [not found]           ` <CA+R_Ot=vGzOaC_kx-RpC-k2Jrz+U2g+LEKSxOsZxczX1LzcMPA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Baozheng Liu @ 2017-10-20  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

So will pandoc be able to solve this problem in another way?

@ 2017-10-20 16:28             ` John MACFARLANE
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2017-10-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you insert a regular space character, that will allow
pandoc to break the line.  The other alternative, as noted,
is to use a very wide --columns setting, but that's going
to give you a very wide table.

+++ Baozheng Liu [Oct 20 17 10:52 ]:

@ 2017-10-21  7:56               ` Baozheng Liu
       [not found]                 ` <CA+R_OtkDLgyG67Ziy6LM_zFxdWfFCiHS4MavZGzar1knQgQ7-Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Baozheng Liu @ 2017-10-21  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

But I think that may be pandoc should split the line for us since it may
take us a lot of time to make sure that space is regular...

@ 2017-10-21 16:02                   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]                     ` <20171021160255.GC88234-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-21 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Where should it split, if there is no space for guidance?

One option for RST tables would be to artificially split
at some arbitrary location when the whole string won't fit.
But this is going to give ugly results in general.

+++ Baozheng Liu [Oct 21 17 15:56 ]:

@ 2017-10-23  1:28                       ` Baozheng Liu
       [not found]                         ` <CA+R_OtmZsToSgJoriRaDktVCDYaaH5+QcA1KYSMBvj24UivevA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Baozheng Liu @ 2017-10-23  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

yeah, there might not be some perfect methods, but I think the table can
show just like when it was in markdown format.

@ 2017-10-27  8:42                           ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-10-27  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss