* POOR SPEED ON WINDOWS INSTALLERS
@ 2017-10-29 23:11 Diego Camilo Peña Ramirez
       [not found] ` <f384649c-ae3f-47d9-b272-bf294d5e6f74-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Diego Camilo Peña Ramirez @ 2017-10-29 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I tried to install the msi installer, and i have a good internet speed (30
Mbps), the installers downloads at only 3Kbps and stops at 10 MB.

At least upload the installers to github or Google drive

Thanks

* Re: POOR SPEED ON WINDOWS INSTALLERS
       [not found] ` <f384649c-ae3f-47d9-b272-bf294d5e6f74-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-10-29 23:20   ` John MacFarlane
       [not found]     ` <20171029232006.GA10067-9Rnp8PDaXcadBw3G0RLmbRFnWt+6NQIA@public.gmane.org>
From: John MacFarlane @ 2017-10-29 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Where were you getting the installer?  The official site
_is_ on GitHub:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases

+++ Diego Camilo Peña Ramirez [Oct 29 17 16:11 ]:

@ 2017-10-30  0:29       ` Diego Camilo Peña Ramirez
       [not found]         ` <e72864d9-8ec4-4c50-99e6-b9ce77a44ade-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Diego Camilo Peña Ramirez @ 2017-10-30  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

From here:

https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/tag/2.0

@ 2017-10-30  2:31           ` Kolen Cheung
       [not found]             ` <9d84bc76-2c46-4c51-80fd-598f54a00d6f-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-10-30  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

Well... You're self-contradicting. You ask for "At least upload the
installers to github..." and you said you downloaded from GitHub...

And then GitHub's releases uses AWS' infrastructure to distribute the
binaries, so it is as good as you can get.

Lastly, your download speed being slow can have a multitude of reasons
behind it. So don't be so haste to blame someone. Even if it is a problem
at AWS (happened before and has taken majority of the web down), they will
likely resolved it soon and you should try later.

FYI, I have been doing a lot of things involving downloading the pandoc 2.0
releases from various setups and servers and it has been flawless to me, so
it is unlikely the AWS has any problem. May be your ISP or even your
modem/router?

And it is a joke to compare the reliability between Google Drive and AWS...
Try distributing something like pandoc through Google Drive (or even
Dropbox), you'll likely reaches the download limit within hours (i.e. you
will reach a page saying that you can't download that file anymore because
too much people has been doing so.).

@ 2017-10-30  3:25               ` Diego Camilo Peña Ramirez
       [not found]                 ` <f5a3a17a-4a5f-44ed-908b-d7d4bcb5cb0a-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Diego Camilo Peña Ramirez @ 2017-10-30  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

I only see that the download is painfully slow... And it interrupts constantly...

An i checked my connection already

@ 2017-10-30  3:43                   ` Kolen Cheung
From: Kolen Cheung @ 2017-10-30  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss

My condolence but we can’t help for now.

In principle providing a mirror will be good for reducing the reliance on
GitHub & AWS. And I could “hack” it through and try to provide a mirror
using jsDelivr <https://www.jsdelivr.com/network/infographic>, a highly
reliable CDN. But

   1.

   jsDelivr is primarily designed for delivering js, css, fonts, etc. I’m
   not sure if they’ll like me distributing binaries (and pandoc is quite
   large comparing to even fonts) there.
   2.

   discussion needed

Well, for now, try this
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/kg175ldxtdmfpsa/pandoc-2.0-windows.msi?dl=0>. I
put it in Dropbox and shared a link here. Let me know when you finished and
I’ll delete it immediately. md5sum is d59c10c83445384c683fff87c08e6365;
sha256 is 30fd7386cdc3fe17f91c545626999bd121a2ec5d77a26b6988291af8012262fc.

​

@ 2017-10-30  3:46                   ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2017-10-30  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 30 October 2017 at 14:25, Diego Camilo Peña Ramirez
<nervencid-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I only see that the download is painfully slow... And it interrupts constantly...
>
> An i checked my connection already

Have you checked if downloading anything else from GitHub is "painfully slow"?

How are you downloading?

When you say you checked your connection, how? (ISP-hosted speed tests
can test your connection to your ISP, not to the internet.)

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org