* Graphviz python filter without using pygraphviz
@ 2015-01-20 11:47 Mohammed Haris Minai
       [not found] ` <229bfb34-a5bd-4b31-8511-ef9573585990-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mohammed Haris Minai @ 2015-01-20 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Hello,

I am interested in using the graphviz filter in pandocfilters. However,
currently it uses pygraphviz which unfortunately does not have a windows
binary. Unfortunately I am constrained to use a windows system for now.
Would it be a simple task to make a python graphviz filter for pandoc
without using pygraphviz?

I had a look at the filter and it does use "os." and "sys." calls. I guess
there should be an easy way to simply issue the dot command on the enclosed
code. graphviz (dot command) does take STDIN as input and output can be
redirected to a file.

Thanks.
Mohammad Haris Minai

* Re: Graphviz python filter without using pygraphviz
       [not found] ` <229bfb34-a5bd-4b31-8511-ef9573585990-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-01-20 12:05   ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]     ` <CA+u6gbzNcjOfitQ4hqYbYQARer3_yX-txc=oRb6KyivgAmD2pA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2015-01-20 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

What does the graphviz filter do?  Just take the raw Dot code and run
it through dot/neato?

I would beware of using the STDIN for dot though: unless osmething has
changed in recent versions it can chew up a _lot_ of memory doing so,
so it's better to use a temporary file.

Maybe have a look at my Haskell graphviz library:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/graphviz  (though using this would
require parsing the Dot code just to immediately print it again, so
I'm not sure how helpful it would be).

On 20 January 2015 at 22:47, Mohammed Haris Minai <mhminai-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in using the graphviz filter in pandocfilters. However,
> currently it uses pygraphviz which unfortunately does not have a windows
> binary. Unfortunately I am constrained to use a windows system for now.
> Would it be a simple task to make a python graphviz filter for pandoc
> without using pygraphviz?
>
> I had a look at the filter and it does use "os." and "sys." calls. I guess
> there should be an easy way to simply issue the dot command on the enclosed
> code. graphviz (dot command) does take STDIN as input and output can be
> redirected to a file.
>
> Thanks.
> Mohammad Haris Minai
>
> --

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

@ 2015-01-21 11:52       ` Mohammed Haris Minai
From: Mohammed Haris Minai @ 2015-01-21 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The code is here
<https://github.com/jgm/pandocfilters/blob/master/examples/graphviz.py>.
From what I could understand:

   1. It creates an object of type pygraphviz.AGraph feeling it the
   enclosed code from the code block marked as .graphviz
   2. Creates the file name that needs to be written to by reading other
   arguments from the code block
   3. Writes the "png/pdf" file via pygraphviz to this file.
   4. Modifies the markdown to be an image link pointing to this new file

I would like to get rid of the dependency on pygraphviz, so instead if the
filter could replace step 3 with a run on "dot" program, something like
"dot -T{filetype} -o{src} < {code}"
everything should work without depending upon pygraphviz. Note that all
text delimited by {} is already being formed by the filter.

@ 2015-01-21 12:00       ` Mohammed Haris Minai
       [not found]         ` <1b3951ec-ae53-4943-a4a9-ed5362dc9434-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mohammed Haris Minai @ 2015-01-21 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I had a look at this, and this could definitely work within a haskell
filter I believe. There is a has haskell filter (written from within gitit)
here <http://gitit.net/Dot.hs>.

I am guessing this could be modified to use your graphviz library to
generate the png/pdf file. If you could provide some examples of how to use
the library to simply read in some text and then run the dot tool to
generate a png/pdf file at the specified IO. I can try and modify the
mentioned haskel filter for my needs?

Thanks again.

@ 2015-01-21 12:12           ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found]             ` <CA+u6gbwc2CGBzyuY1SKbC15kYAk9LZOH5tP8yaG=N+doNCxLGA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2015-01-21 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Is there any reason you can't use that gitit filter directly?

As I said in my previous email, using my library would probably be
overkill due to the need to parse the Dot code and then immediately
print it again (which would only really be useful for a sanity check).

@ 2015-01-21 14:58               ` Mohammed Haris Minai
       [not found]                 ` <b96d2e46-4be0-4725-9276-ed1790ea8c6c-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mohammed Haris Minai @ 2015-01-21 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Well, I am simply completely uncomfortable with Haskell (and python as
well). Anyway having seen the gitit and the examples john has given I gave
it a shot.

Am attching the filter (Example.hs), a sample pdc file(input.pdc) and the
markdown output I get when I use the filter (output.pdc). Somehow my first
code block is not transformed whereas the second one is. Could someone
please help me out here.

I compiled Example.hs file using "ghc --make Example.hs" then used:

pandoc --filter ./Example -t markdown input.pdc > output.pdc

This is the first time I have touched haskell code, so please forgive any
blunders I have made, I have simply tried to combine the gitit plugin with
some code pointed out earlier to me by jon + some understanding from what
the pandoc page says about scripting. I almost have no idea how it is even
working.

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 5:42:33 PM UTC+5:30, Ivan Miljenovic
wrote:

> Is there any reason you can't use that gitit filter directly?

[-- Attachment #2: input.pdc --]

% Title
% Mohd. Haris Minai
% 25th December, 2015

# This is a level 1 header

~~~ {.dot, name=diagram}

digraph finite_state_machine {
    rankdir=LR;
    size="8,5"
    node [shape = doublecircle]; LR_0 LR_3 LR_4 LR_8;
    node [shape = circle];
    LR_0 -> LR_2 [ label = "SS(B)" ];
    LR_0 -> LR_1 [ label = "SS(S)" ];
    LR_1 -> LR_3 [ label = "S($end)" ];
    LR_2 -> LR_6 [ label = "SS(b)" ];
    LR_2 -> LR_5 [ label = "SS(a)" ];
    LR_2 -> LR_4 [ label = "S(A)" ];
    LR_5 -> LR_7 [ label = "S(b)" ];
    LR_5 -> LR_5 [ label = "S(a)" ];
    LR_6 -> LR_6 [ label = "S(b)" ];
    LR_6 -> LR_5 [ label = "S(a)" ];
    LR_7 -> LR_8 [ label = "S(b)" ];
    LR_7 -> LR_5 [ label = "S(a)" ];
    LR_8 -> LR_6 [ label = "S(b)" ];
    LR_8 -> LR_5a [ label = "S(a)" ];
}

~~~

Some other text in between

~~~ {.dot name=hello}
graph hello2 {

// Hello World with nice colors and big fonts

Node1 [label="Hello, World!", color=Blue, fontcolor=Red,
    fontsize=24, shape=box]

}
~~~

~~~{.c name=hello.c}

main () {
print "hello";
}
~~~

[-- Attachment #3: output.pdc --]

This is a level 1 header
========================

~\~~ {.dot, name=diagram}

digraph finite\_state\_machine { rankdir=LR; size="8,5" node [shape =
doublecircle]; LR\_0 LR\_3 LR\_4 LR\_8; node [shape = circle]; LR\_0 -\>
LR\_2 [ label = "SS(B)" ]; LR\_0 -\> LR\_1 [ label = "SS(S)" ];
LR\_1 -\> LR\_3 [ label = "S(\$end)" ]; LR\_2 -\> LR\_6 [ label =
"SS(b)" ]; LR\_2 -\> LR\_5 [ label = "SS(a)" ]; LR\_2 -\> LR\_4 [ label
= "S(A)" ]; LR\_5 -\> LR\_7 [ label = "S(b)" ]; LR\_5 -\> LR\_5 [ label
= "S(a)" ]; LR\_6 -\> LR\_6 [ label = "S(b)" ]; LR\_6 -\> LR\_5 [ label
= "S(a)" ]; LR\_7 -\> LR\_8 [ label = "S(b)" ]; LR\_7 -\> LR\_5 [ label
= "S(a)" ]; LR\_8 -\> LR\_6 [ label = "S(b)" ]; LR\_8 -\> LR\_5a [ label
= "S(a)" ]; }

~\~~

Some other text in between

![hello](img/hello.png)

``` {.c name="hello.c"}

main () {
print "hello";
}
```

[-- Attachment #4: Example.hs --]
[-- Type: text/x-haskell, Size: 1121 bytes --]

#!/usr/bin/env haskell

import System.Process (readProcessWithExitCode)
import System.Exit (ExitCode(ExitSuccess))
import Data.ByteString.Lazy.UTF8 (fromString)
-- from the SHA package on HackageDB:
import Data.Digest.Pure.SHA (sha1, showDigest)
import System.FilePath ((</>))
import Control.Monad.Trans (liftIO)
import Text.Pandoc.JSON

transform :: Block -> IO Block
transform (CodeBlock (id, classes, namevals) contents) | "dot" `elem` classes = do
  let (name, outfile) =  case lookup "name" namevals of
                                Just fn   -> ([Str fn], fn ++ ".png")
                                Nothing   -> ([], uniqueName contents ++ ".png")
  liftIO $ do
    (ec, _out, err) <- readProcessWithExitCode "dot" ["-Tpng", "-o", "img/" ++ outfile] contents
    if ec == ExitSuccess
       then return $ Para [Image name ("img/" ++ outfile, "")]
       else error $ "dot returned an error status: " ++ err
transform x = return x

-- | Generate a unique filename given the file's contents.
uniqueName :: String -> String
uniqueName = showDigest . sha1 . fromString

main :: IO ()
main = toJSONFilter transform

@ 2015-01-22  9:49                   ` Mohammed Haris Minai
       [not found]                     ` <ff78de30-d031-4b5b-9021-be32c111db2b-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw@public.gmane.org>
From: Mohammed Haris Minai @ 2015-01-22  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I figured out my mistake. The first codeblock has a comma separating the
attributes. This somehow causes pandoc to assume this is not a codeblock.

So now the filter works!

@ 2015-01-22 10:18                       ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2015-01-22 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Good, especially since I didn't get around to playing with it to see
if I could get it to work :p