* Possible bug?
@ 2015-09-06 11:27 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
       [not found] ` <CA+u6gbyYARnnhpUtFDEZNPLvUmfJrj8zyEsq6uYFQc3qiRu4_A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2015-09-06 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

I wanted to check my understanding of how Markdown reference links
work before I actually reported this as a bug.

As a minimal example, consider this file:

```
* [link]: is a very good link.

[link]: http://pandoc.org
```

My intent here is to have a bullet point where it starts with the word
"link", which is a link specified later.  However, when I run Pandoc
on this I get:

pandoc: Duplicate link reference `[link]' "source" (line 3, column 1)

I've used this notation in the past without any problems; is this a
regression in the parser or has the usage/definitions of reference
links changed?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org

* Re: Possible bug?
       [not found] ` <CA+u6gbyYARnnhpUtFDEZNPLvUmfJrj8zyEsq6uYFQc3qiRu4_A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-06 13:37   ` Raniere Silva
From: Raniere Silva @ 2015-09-06 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw; +Cc: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic

Hi Ivan,

> I wanted to check my understanding of how Markdown reference links
> work before I actually reported this as a bug.
>
> As a minimal example, consider this file:
>
> ```
> * [link]: is a very good link.
>
> [link]: http://pandoc.org
> ```
>
> My intent here is to have a bullet point where it starts with the word
> "link", which is a link specified later.  However, when I run Pandoc
> on this I get:
>
> pandoc: Duplicate link reference `[link]' "source" (line 3, column 1)
>
> I've used this notation in the past without any problems; is this a
> regression in the parser or has the usage/definitions of reference
> links changed?

I don't think this is a bug. This behaviour is intended to allow

    *   Foo Bar [link]

        [link]: http://pandoc.org

that is convert into

    <ul>
    </ul>

For your minimal example work you need to scape : using

    * [link]\: is a very good link.

    [link]: http://pandoc.org

I know this is odd but this is a common problem of markup languages.

* Re: Possible bug?
       [not found] ` <CA+u6gbyYARnnhpUtFDEZNPLvUmfJrj8zyEsq6uYFQc3qiRu4_A-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-08 17:41   ` John MACFARLANE
       [not found]     ` <20150908174137.GC27464-4kKid1p5UN4xFjuZnxJpBp3lxR28IOakuDuwTybUTCk@public.gmane.org>
From: John MACFARLANE @ 2015-09-08 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

The fix is the create your link in a way that isn't
ambiguous with a reference definition:

```
* [link][]: is a very good link.

[link]: http://pandoc.rog
```

+++ Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [Sep 06 15 21:27 ]:
>I wanted to check my understanding of how Markdown reference links
>work before I actually reported this as a bug.
>
>As a minimal example, consider this file:
>
>```
>* [link]: is a very good link.
>
>[link]: http://pandoc.org
>```
>
>My intent here is to have a bullet point where it starts with the word
>"link", which is a link specified later.  However, when I run Pandoc
>on this I get:
>
>pandoc: Duplicate link reference `[link]' "source" (line 3, column 1)
>
>I've used this notation in the past without any problems; is this a
>regression in the parser or has the usage/definitions of reference
>links changed?
>
>--
>Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
>Ivan.Miljenovic-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org
>http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
>
>--

* Re: Possible bug?
       [not found]     ` <20150908174137.GC27464-4kKid1p5UN4xFjuZnxJpBp3lxR28IOakuDuwTybUTCk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-09-08 22:15       ` Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
From: Ivan Lazar Miljenovic @ 2015-09-08 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

On 9 September 2015 at 03:41, John MACFARLANE <jgm-TVLZxgkOlNX2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The fix is the create your link in a way that isn't
> ambiguous with a reference definition:
>
> ```
> * [link][]: is a very good link.
>
> [link]: http://pandoc.rog